Help! Ombré hair, unhappy client!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StrawberryAnna

Reaction score
Hello geeks, I really need your help and advice...
Few days ago I did two tone ombré ends for one of my clients, she was very happy, liked the colours (pink to purple to turquoise ), posted photos all over Facebook, got lots of likes etc, but today I got a txt from her saying these are not quite an exact replica of the picture she showed me and she doesn't like how it's fading after she washes it and she wasted money etc. I tried to be as professional as possible, and although I gave her £10 off, it took me twice the time it normally takes and the amount of product I had to use was 4 times the usual, I still offered her to reapply the colour! The reason it took me ages to do it was because she has layers upon layers of permanent dark brown on her lengths, I had to strip it all off, bleach it twice and it still only lifted to about base 8-9! I did explain all this to her as I was going along with the service but when I applied the pinks etc it still turned out nice. Anyway I'm not sure what to do now, I've not actually made any money from that service due to all of the above reasons! Now she says I never told her it will fade although I repeated it few times to her that it's not permanent but fashion colour and with good care will last a month or so!!! I'm really upset as I never have come across such attitude before :( any advice would be appreciated xxx

Firstly, it's your fault you didn't make any money! Don't give a discount because you think they are doing you a favor! She wanted it done, So charge accordingly! It's a service so she pays for the service! And from what you have said I don't think she has a bad attitude!

Have you got a pic of what she is aiming for with her hair?

What brand of semi did you use, I use to use directions and crazy colour but would only last max 3 washes changed to fudge little better but best was affantage lasted 3 months!

Sent from my LT15i using SalonGeek

Why did you knock £10 off?

I honestly think you've learned a valuable lesson,
- never promise to get hair a certain shade especially without a strand test
- always work out your cost
- especially with fashion colours the correct after care needs to be purchased

I never promise fashion colours to last a month, as we don't truly know how often they wash hair and they could be using fairy liquid to wash it!

Chin up we live and learn!
I'd offer to re apply fashion colours and explain after care

Thanks for ur replys guys, knocked money off because I'm only recently mobile and desperately trying to get business so first timers get a discount. I used crazy colour and fudge colours, I explained all the aftercare and what to expect and now she denies any knowledge of it! She was delighted at first but obviously after washing it few times she sees it fading and doesn't like it. She even said she could've done something like this herself if she knew it will fade! I did offer to reapply but she is not replying to my texts now. I'm really not sure what else I could do as it now her word against mine.

To Bluerinse: I don't have the photo, but she was happy how it turned out. :(

Also, we agreed the price prior to me starting work.. Do u think it was a mistake? Should I not give a price until work is done?

Thanks again, much appreciated

Sad Anna :(

Don't be sad Hun!

I would have strand tested 1st so u knew how much work was involved then quoted a price!

If she contacts you again offer to reapply but no refund

When I cost things I do it on worse case then if it's not as much work you can revise the price as you can't really go up just down

Also lots to test pices so you know what your dealing with (I also leant the hard way)

I would not contact her again.

I think she knows that she is trying it on a bit. You did what she asked for and she has been happy with it until now and you gave her the aftercare advice. If she contacts you again, i would not refund but tell her you are sorry that she was unhappy with her colour choice and is there something more permanant she would like instead and don't forget to tell her how much it will cost.

If you wanted to you could offer her a 20% discount if she has it done within a week as a peace offering xx

Ok, test cuttings first! :)

Although still, her biggest argument is she doesn't like how it fades rather than how the colours originally turned out and although I did explain about colour care shampoo and conditioning, as u guys say - she may have well be washing her hair with Fairy liquid!

I know I may sound as if I'm trying to justify myself but I take my work very seriously and client satisfaction is my priority. And at the start of my mobile career last thing i need is being bad mouthed by someone! :(

Show her the bottles they say how long it could last for, next time if someone wants it just tell them about 10 times it's a semi and will fade or retail a few products (I only do colour saver range) or you just don't offer fashion colours (I don't offer them of this reason)
Sadly there is nothing you can Di if someone had mouths you but work your hardest and if you lose one client it's hard hut I'm sure though others you will get more business

Sounds to me like a bit of a mix of bad communication and unrealistic expectations.
Next time you have a situation with something like this, I would make it very clear to the client that any of these Bright Semi's like Directions, Painbox, Hot Shots, Crazy Colours etc are never going to last very long.
I always say that if they are serious about having a Bright Fashion colour, they have got to be prepared to have & to budget for touch up's regularly.
One of my lady's was adamant she wanted the most shocking purpley violet I could get her so I bleached it up and stuck Fudge Painbox Blueberry Hill on, and it looked lush; but I told her not to expect it to last more than 3 weeks, and it didn’t... she was fine with this, as I had pre warned her. But after about 4 months of having regular touch ups and with some build up of the Purple it is now lasting on average 6 weeks, lasting longer and staying more viberent and she is really happy with it.
I would just explain to her that these colours are Semi's and are not designed to be permanent and that with persistence the colours will eventually last longer.
Another thing I find that helps is applying Matrix Colour Sync Clear on top of a Fashion Colour, I find it helps lock the colour in abit longer.

Some people are just not realistic about there hair and think that if they have it coloured it will last for eternity... dont let it get ya down, I have been there myself with people.

Hey guys, she texted me in the middle of the night, demanding I strip all colour off and make it all blue!!! Totally not what the service was about! What should I do??? She now has faded pink-violet-turquoise ends and she wants it off and just blue instead!! She also wants it free. What's the best way to go about it? She's now bullying me basically :'( I'm evens scared to come out to her as she's quite rough. I'm also on holiday at the moment so her texts are totally ruined it for me. What's the best thing to do? Xxx

Reply yes sure we can do that for you it will cost £85 as we need to remove previous colours, do several conditioning treatments and then lift your Colour upto white then apply the blue and then you can't wash your hair for 4 days so it holds the Colour! ;)

Aww thank u Blue, u cheered me up!im such a scardy cat! When I say my prices I'm always worried they are too high although I know it's not true and so far every client (apart from her )I ever done was happy so I must be doing the right thing!!

That's what I though, she's trying on with me wanting something else for free! Leave and learn eh!

At the moment I'm so tempted to actually say that I'm sorry she made that particular choice of colours and hence she doesn't want me to reapply the original shade she should either purchase another service as per Blue's advice or just find a stylist shed be happy with! :/ xxx

She also just texted saying I must do it before next Friday as she's going away! I'm not even in town until then!:/

Aww thank u Blue, u cheered me up!im such a scardy cat! When I say my prices I'm always worried they are too high although I know it's not true and so far every client (apart from her )I ever done was happy so I must be doing the right thing!!

That's what I though, she's trying on with me wanting something else for free! Leave and learn eh!

At the moment I'm so tempted to actually say that I'm sorry she made that particular choice of colours and hence she doesn't want me to reapply the original shade she should either purchase another service as per Blue's advice or just find a stylist shed be happy with! :/ xxx

Just reply with what I said then say I also recommend purchasing the correct aftercare which is Colour saver shampoo and conditioner which is £xx bet you won't get a replyx

Just reply with what I said then say I also recommend purchasing the correct aftercare which is Colour saver shampoo and conditioner which is £xx bet you won't get a replyx

Texted everything as per your advice Blue, she replied saying there's no difference whether I reapply her original colours or put blue over what she already has! She really is thick and nasty! Told her tint itself doesn't change tint but really think like telling her to get lost as she will never be happy!

Aww thank u Blue, u cheered me up!im such a scardy cat! :/ xxx

Hi Love, sorry to hear of your problems with this client and I hope your business takes off soon. Just a little thought though, being mobile is actually quite a scary thing when first starting out. I have felt fairly uncomfortable in clients homes before and it is not a career path for the faint hearted, it is difficult enough to deal with hard to please clients without being afraid for your safety as well. You are pretty much stuck there for the duration of the treatment which can be quite lengthy at times.

Do you think Mobile is the way to go? Or would it make you feel more at ease to work from a home salon, if they are on your property you do have an advantage. They will be less likely to kick off if they know you could call for help or even the police, and you can refuse to treat people if they turn up at yours but when you arrive at a client and wish you had never taken the booking it is hard to get out of it without being obvious iykwim.

I agree with the advice Bluerinse has given, I am not a hairdresser so can't advise on the actual hair treatment but as far as the refund is concerned, you should probably charge her even more this time, print out an aftercare sheet for her and get her to sign the consultation card stating that you have explained the expected results, aftercare and that you have offered her the required aftercare products. ( you can knock one up on your computer) This way she cant say at a later date that she had not been told.

Did you do a patch test? Some clients just see opportunities to try to make some "free" money off our backs so I would suggest that you make sure you have all the options covered. You would not want her to try to sue you for an allergic reaction to the bleach or colorant. :hug:

Latest posts

Back