Help please, peeps

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yea thats what im doing level 2 diploma (vrq) let me know what advice you get as will be intresting to know if you can go mobile with this ... but if not it does look like level 3 will have to be done im going to do mine just incase x

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

Wella and L'Oreal offer colouring and cutting courses from beginner to advanced. I did level 2 as part of my initial training as an apprentice but I qualified as a colour technician so did go on to do my level 3. I have since been on several courses with L'Oreal and Wella and next year will do my master colour course through wella, so there are other options other than colleges. :) good luck

Hi I'm for the US I was just wondering what you guys are talking about when u say levels for extensions? Do u have to go to cosmology school and extension training? In the us after u get you cosmology licenses you are free to do anything in the industry

Hi I'm for the US I was just wondering what you guys are talking about when u say levels for extensions? Do u have to go to cosmology school and extension training? In the us after u get you cosmology licenses you are free to do anything in the industry

Hi Sabrina,

Over in the UK, we have to go to college and obtain a Certificate to show our qualification. We have: Level 1, Level 2 and Level 3.

Level 1, is a basic understanding of health and safety in the salon, you are basically a on-looker at this level, you watch and learn.

Level 2: This is the level that you become a fully qualified hair-stylist. You do basic skills, cutting, colouring, perming, setting, styling, finishing and gents hair.

Level 3: Advanced level. You do business owner-ship work, management courses and colour correction, and also more in-depth cutting.

Now after you qualify on Level 2 , you get familiar with a colour brand, I, myself is familiar with Wella, so as Wella as the colour choice I go on their courses to get new skills and more training within the chosen range.

You have to also go and train separately as a hair extension technician. This isn’t included in your college course.

Hope I helped you. :)

Thank you that did help alot there is a big difference for there to here, we can use whatever color line we want any time, If we want to do anything we can do it even if we where not trained. So schooling just keeps going? It's a good a bad thing, keeps u guys kind of limited on exploring anything new

Hi Sabrina

In the UK, anyone can set themselves up as a hairdresser without any training. There's no legal requirement to be qualified.(!)

However, you will not be able to buy personal liability insurance, if you are not qualified to a minimum recognised standard.

BBH: My understanding is that the newer range of UK qualifications are quite varied as the new VRQ's do not map directly to the NVQ or City & Guilds levels and seem to be a level lower.

Therefore, you would need a VRQ level 3 or an NVQ 2 or C&G 2 to obtain insurance as a qualified hairdresser.

Also, I don't think that Gents hair is included in the NVQ/C&G level 2 anymore but available separately as a Barbering course.

All very confusing for new students, I imagine. :sad:

I am currently doing the VRQ Level 2 which is City and Guilds. Check on their web site.

I am due to finish by June 2012 however with 1 assessment left i should be done by the end of April - can't do my final assessment until 24th April!

I have spoken with my tutors at college and one of which highly recommended me to a local salon who where looking for someone.

Today i have completed my Skills test - Shampoo and set and then a Long Graduation and blow dry - The requirement was a cut and blow dry i chose long Grad as we are only assessed on a grad cut in our portfolio so as i have been assessed on Short grad i wanted to show i could do the Long Graduation. I am so so happy, i have a start date at the salon.

I have spoken with Salon Gold insurance who will happily insure me, again as the VRQ is a recognised qualification - and City & Guilds.

I am undecided yet as to whether i wil return next year or not, or possibly go down the route of additional courses with Wella to enhance my cutting skills and colouring techniques possible colour correction.

I am 25 years old and have worked so hard over the last year to get where i am today. Some people will argue regarding the VRQ not been as good as the NVQ, however we have been taught to the NVQ Standard and have only been allowed to be assessed on Paying Clients in the college salon, we have not been able to carry out assessments on training blocks.

No ofence to any one, but times change, so do qualifications - NVQ - Old Skool, VRQ - Present and upto date, All in all, learning to be a good hairdresser comes after you get the certificate, its your creativity, imagination, understanding on the theory side that help create a good stylist, until you have the knowledge your skills cant be up to the level. I knew that from the start and have worked so hard to get here, my course friends are still foiling basic weaes but since i have completed that assessment my tutor has encouraged me to use my practical sessions to develop my skills and i have now done sliced foils and also colour placement - chunks of colour.

Sorry for the long post but a little bit fed up of hearing that the VRQ Is no good.

Only you know your self your capabilities and if you have confidence with what you are doing then carry on......Good luck for teh future which ever path you decide to take.

all im saying is what i have been informed and if you search them qulifications vrq2 it says you are not qualified unless you do the level 3 .. and i have been to two apprenticeships interviews and not one of them salons had heard of my level 2 vrq :-( but lucky you if you have a job and good luck.. and yes it is so confusing as a student with all these diffrent qualifications and people saying diffrent things i think it needs to be a bit clearer tbh .. and yes barbering is additional now and you pay for that course if you decide to do it x

and i dont think vrq is rubbish i completly understand where coming from .. i feel we are learning near enough the same as a nvq but it frustrates me that this vrq is not widely recgonized or that there is not clear cut information for students or employers.. one place says your qualified another does not its mind boggling lol .. all im gona do is concentrate on passing this level 2 then do level 3 any way as ill be even more educated then x

I've not read through everything in depth just a quick scan. So theres deffo loads of courses you can do with just your nvq2 qualification. To tell you truth when I did my lvl 3 it was pretty pointless cause I knew how to do everything on it.

The only reason most people do nvq3 is because alot of places only take on lvl3, but you said you're self employed so you haven't got someone to impress with your cv.

If you phone up your nearest wella academy and request a course book they said a big book with lots of different courses, what is covered in the course, dates etc everything you need to know. I've done a fair few courses at wella academy and they're absolutely brilliant educators and recommend their courses to anyone beginner or advanced levels.

Hope this helps :)

I've not read through everything in depth just a quick scan. So theres deffo loads of courses you can do with just your nvq2 qualification. To tell you truth when I did my lvl 3 it was pretty pointless cause I knew how to do everything on it.

The only reason most people do nvq3 is because alot of places only take on lvl3, but you said you're self employed so you haven't got someone to impress with your cv.

If you phone up your nearest wella academy and request a course book they said a big book with lots of different courses, what is covered in the course, dates etc everything you need to know. I've done a fair few courses at wella academy and they're absolutely brilliant educators and recommend their courses to anyone beginner or advanced levels.

Hope this helps :)

This is what i intend on doing - progressing in areas i want to - colouring and more advanced colouring. I didnt realise you could get the book sent - i downladed the PDF Version!! think i may call up for teh bnook to be sent though handy to have on hand!!

Hi Amore Hair

Sorry, I didn't mean to offend.

NVQ's are still current and awarded by several bodies including Edexcel and City & Guilds.

I have been researching further qualifications in hairdressing myself and City & Guilds do offer separate City & Guilds Diplomas in Hairdressing at various levels in addition to NVQ's and VRQ's.

However, to imply that NVQ's are no longer valid or useful is rather misleading and inaccurate.

I do think it's important that current students thoroughly research the programme content of any course they are considering as well as the level it is offered at.

Years ago, hairdressing courses followed a fairly generic curriculum but nowadays some programmes do not include gents hair or particular cutting techniques etc.

Buyer beware, as the saying goes...

I wasnt at ll suggesting that the NVQ was no longer used, in the area i am in it seems for an apprentice it is more apropriate to do the NVQ where as a full time student like my self is pointed toward the VRQ.

Either way at my age it has cost me a fortune tp learn!! I fully researched what i would cove rwhen doing the VRQ Diploma In womens hairdressing, you are correct it does not include mens hair, i have however paid teh additional fees to complete the award in Barbering unit - personal choice i waned to cover this area also.

my intentions are not to offend any one, each to their own. I'm happy with what i have learnt - perhaps as i have worked hard and my tutors have seen that it has paid off as instead of sayig oh yes your done for what we have to teach you they have helped me progress and learn higher techniques for cutting and colouring.

Hi
Just wanted to say to you hard working girls that are currently working towards nvqs/vrqs that the assessment side of things are a formality to give you the basic knowledge and understanding of this amazing industry.
The rest as said previously is down to the individual.
You cant put a price or a time limit on experience as this will come the more different hair/clients or situations you come across
And you NEVER stop learning!
Ive been in the industry for 16 years and completed my nvq levels 1 2 and 3,although i didnt complete my level 3 for a good few years as again i think knowledge and personal experience will give you a much better result.
Im now studying towards my a1 accessors award as i cant wait to share my hard earned experience with newbies and spread the knowledge.
Good luck with whatever courses you all choose and remember that personal experience and knowledge is what you will by far learn from the most :D

Are there only certain kinds u can do? I do fusion, taped, beaded micro loop, braided sew in beaded sew in depending on the clients. I see u all do not charge much to do them the cheapest extension I offer is 295.00. And that's to glue in medium quality hair. And we do not have insurance as hair dressers, is that like real insurance incase sonething went wrong? Sorry for all the questions I'm just interested seems like its do much harder to do it will less pay

Latest posts

Back