Help please - what caused this?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you refund, you will be known as the girl that if you complain you get your money back!

You've offered to re-do, that's more than enough. Stand your ground.

If you're worried what to say, simply state that you provided a service and that takes time, if she'd like refunding for the products, she'll get peanuts!! Some people are so cheeky.

Sent from my XT890 using SalonGeek mobile app

She said 2started to peel then the rest but I just don't see how?! She sent me a pic of her nails but they are just bare with no shellac or anything on. It's a difficult one. I just don't know how to reply without being rude! Help...😕 xx

Hi,

Unfortunately I don't offer refunds, however I can still offer you the reapplication free of charge. I've not had an issue like this before and would like to get to the bottom of it for you.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using SalonGeek mobile app

That's a good reply...thank you 😊

Always a bit down putting when u receive a message like that 😕 xx

I'd be more inclined to say, just like another person said, if she had acrylics on previously, she "may" have bendy nails, as that's what I would put on nails that bend, L&P. Hence when you put Shellac ontop of that type of nail (bendy), sometimes the client will have a problem. I personally may have put Brisa Lite Smoothing Gel on first, but you did say her nails looked fine.

I would have definitely used cuticle remover though, I think that may have contributed.

I had one client recently where her Shellac came away on her index finger, just like in your photo. I redid it the next night using BL Smoothing Gel and stayed fine until next appt.

As to a refund, as she admitted to taking them off and she did get a week out of them, no way, discount her next set and try to get to the bottom of the problem.

Let us know how you get on!

Hi,

Unfortunately I don't offer refunds, however I can still offer you the reapplication free of charge. I've not had an issue like this before and would like to get to the bottom of it for you.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using SalonGeek mobile app

I have literally just copied and pasted this reply to her...will let u know what reply I get back...if I get one!

Thank you for your advice ladies. Much appreciated as always 😊 xxx

She has agreed to a reapplication free of charge so am doing them tues morning. Let's hope these last then! ☺️ Xx

I'd be more inclined to say, just like another person said, if she had acrylics on previously, she "may" have bendy nails, as that's what I would put on nails that bend, L&P. Hence when you put Shellac ontop of that type of nail (bendy), sometimes the client will have a problem. I personally may have put Brisa Lite Smoothing Gel on first, but you did say her nails looked fine.

I would have definitely used cuticle remover though, I think that may have contributed.

I had one client recently where her Shellac came away on her index finger, just like in your photo. I redid it the next night using BL Smoothing Gel and stayed fine until next appt.

As to a refund, as she admitted to taking them off and she did get a week out of them, no way, discount her next set and try to get to the bottom of the problem.

Let us know how you get on!

I'd agree on just a discount IF Sarah knew she'd done everything correctly but as she didn't remove cuticle and is relatively new to this I think it's in her best interests to redo then she can't tarnish her reputation when she's only just starting out :)

Tell her that by peeling it all off she has essentially "voided warranty", she should have seen you to get it safely removed or repaired

She has said she has peeled them all off but I have asked her to send me a pic so I can assess. Will post the pic on here when she sends it xx

If I'm honest I wouldn't of offered a "redo or repair" if all nails had "peeled off" i highly doubt that all 10 fell off and if she's admitted to picking the rest off then that's her problem. I would of offered a repair on the nails that had peeled at a charge but when I was new I would have fixed them for free but if she's now taken them all off then there is nothing to "repair" redoing a whole set for free is basically the same as giving a refund except your having to do double work for no money. I would never offer a refund but if I'm honest I'd rather do that than a set for free.

As you're new I'd offer at a discounted rate and if they still didn't last I would suggest that shellac probably isn't suitable for her nails because she may need something stronger.

Shellac isn't for everyone unfortunately!

Hope it all worked out for you x

Felicity xx

I have had this kind of lift happen on 2 clients

1 of them chose to use a cuticle oil other than Solar Oil, it was a cheap brand and was really oily and didn't soak in well which caused most of the Shellac on her nails to lift.

The other client only had lifting on her thumbs and we worked out that she probably melted the edge of hers getting something out of the oven using a tea towel instead of oven gloves.

I agree - I wouldn't offer a refund, you've already given your time and product and can't be certain it wasn't something your client did (particularly as she has admitting to peeling the others. I would offer to redo them once as a good will gesture but make it clear that you are not expecting any further problems and usually you charge £x.xx for repairs.

I went today and redid them out of good will but will not do them again if it happened again! When I got there her nails were bare as if nothing had ever been on there! No sign of damage or anything! So strange.. 😕 anyways, she opted for French this time but fortunately didn't take me any longer and to be fair is my first shellac French so was grateful for the practice! Lol ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1410897484.028761.jpg 😊 lets just hope these last then! Xxx

I had the same problem not so long ago and I very rarely get problems altho this was due to my bulbs not curing properly so I gave them a good clean and turned them over as they still had 40 hours left but I wouldn't have known unless a very good regular who knows my work well told me something was wrong. Worth checking your lamp to x

Sent from my SM-G900F using SalonGeek mobile app

I can't believe it...,redone them on tues morning and received a message and pic tonight saying they are peeling AGAIN!!! 😡
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1411067948.741334.jpg

Tell her not to touch them, pick at them or peel them off and see her asap. Maybe she just isn't suited to shellac. Is she on any medication or is she pregnant. Has she been using suncream or insect repellent and not washing her hands or wiping over her nails afterwards? Does she use gloves when cleaning & washing up etc?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

I can't believe it...,redone them on tues morning and received a message and pic tonight saying they are peeling AGAIN!!! 😡
View attachment 75181

I would explain that shellac is not bullet proof and needs lots of TLC. I always describe nails on a scale of acrylics as super strong at the top and normal nail polish at the bottom. Everyone has different needs and she may need something a bit more robust than shellac. Maybe try the brisa gel underneath.
It's not your fault she can't take care of her shellac properly! (But don't tell her that! Lol) explain to her that perhaps shellac is not for her as her nails are too weak at the moment from previous acrylics and if she wants to have shellac she must have it done more frequently than two weeks until her nails grow out to full strength and even then she may not be the kind of client that can maintain shellac.
I always warn previous acrylic users that shellac is no where near as strong as acrylic.

Is she perhaps using her nails to open ring pull cans/tins or peel labels etc?

She hasn't had acrylics recently and her nails aren't weak so I know it's not that. She says she wears gloves etc but whether she does or not is another thing! I am a hypo-crypt as I never wear gloves when cleaning and I clean everyday and do other peoples nails and mine never chip like this and usually get 2weeks worth. I would never admit to a client this tho!! I'm not going back again. I've already redone them once for free so defo not again! I'm just gana say that maybe her nails just aren't suited for shellac and apologise that they haven't lasted as long as they should xx

She must of been soaking her hands in sun cream and hot water then...lol
Either way she's a pain in the bum. Ha ha!

I'm just gana say that maybe her nails just aren't suited for shellac and apologise that they haven't lasted as long as they should xx
Careful with your wording, it's not 'as long as they should' as that implies they would for everyone and that something has gone wrong.

I usually explain that Shellac is suitable for healthy strong nails and can last UP TO 2 weeks so unfortunately you're not suited to them.. that way there's no error on either part :)

Latest posts

Back