Help please!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sarahd

Reaction score
Hi everyone, this is going to be long sorry! im stuck in rut at the moment and dont know what to do, i have all my equipment and products to go mobile but i dont drive and i have a spine disorder (curve in my spine) (hospital appointment on the 7th and scared), so carrying my couch is just out of the question.
soo iv decided to look at renting a room, iv found one local to me which is £100 a week which seems like the going rate and is in a busy shopping mall in hairdressers (just waiting for lady to ring back)
iv looked at alot of threads on here about renting and i see most of you are loving it although some not to much.
the only thing i have with renting is i live with my partner and in my last job i have a really bad time therefore i quit that and have been unemployed for a few months and we having been living on one wage which is a extreme struggle, and what with xmas coming up i need to start bringing in some money asap really. so i dont know what to do, follow my dream and rent a room or just get a normal job (which i really dont want), I just feel iv got no one behind me to surport me, ohh i dont know im just really low right now. sorry to go on guys! xx

Want to reply to you later as can't now but just wanted to give you a :hug: in the meantime. x

Do you have everything you need to kit the room out without any or much further outlay? Will you be signing a lease for a minimum term? Have you considered how you are going to market your business? What treatments do you offer and which product lines? Do you have kids? Sorry for firing questions at you, but they are genuine questions!

If I were you... I would follow my dream and get a part time job. Maybe work in a shop on a Sunday? (Unless family commitments prevent this.) If you have been surviving on one wage, you only need to bring in £100 per week to break even. Although that's assuming you don't need to spend loads to get started. For instance, if you offer spray tanning, 4 tans per week will pay your rent. If you offer brazilian waxing, you won't have to do many to cover your rent. I think you need to offer the more profitable treatments and make sure everyone knows you are there, ready and waiting for them!

Maybe also try to negotiate with the salon owner? See if she will accept a % of your takings up to a maximum of £100 pw for the first three months while you are getting established? Also, be sure what your rent includes, i.e. receptionist booking clients in, card payment fees etc etc

Everything is possible :hug:

:hug: You dont always get support from the people you want at the time you need it but hang in there and it will happen for you.
I think its a great idea, you have everything you need to get started - does this include business cards - stationary will be something costly that you cant start without. As you are in another business you have access to there clients which is brill
You will make great money over christams and as you are new you'll have a great flurry of excitement which will bring you through the october/november period
Good luck is what I say

Iv actually been offered another room a bit further out which will mean getting the train every day but that dont bother me, £200 a month with the 1st month free to build up clients and there is a high demand for a therapist, in a quite expensive hotel. i think this sounds a little better.

ZO ZO, I havnt got any kids only a house rabbit who is like a child lol. I have all my equipment and products except due to funds my facial products which i hopefully will be getting after xmas.

I also do have everything to get me started including stationary, i got a grant from my local council to buy everything, the only thing i could not buy was the facial stuff as the products i want come to over £500 and I only got £1000 grant and everything else added up to that.

thanks for your comments so far. I hate the fact that i cant talk to my partner about it all coz all he says is as long as u start bringing money in i dont care, which hurts coz i get so excited when i think up new prices and leaflets ect and i have to keep it all to myself.
anymore info would be great.

xxx

I think this sounds like a brilliant opportunity £200 a month with the first month free!

Make sure you price your treatments right so that you can cover the rent easily. That would mean you would only need to make £50 a week which should be easy after a month of settling in. Work hard and you will soon be making a very healthy wage. You sound like you are almost halfway there. Make sure you put a treatment list in each room and that advance appointments are not always necessary. You have a captive audience with visitors to the hotel. Go for it! :hug:

You'll be able to buy the facial products once you have some cash coming in. You could offer facial massage on it's own until then.

I think this sounds like a brilliant opportunity £200 a month with the first month free!

Make sure you price your treatments right so that you can cover the rent easily. That would mean you would only need to make £50 a week which should be easy after a month of settling in. Work hard and you will soon be making a very healthy wage. You sound like you are almost halfway there. Make sure you put a treatment list in each room and that advance appointments are not always necessary. You have a captive audience with visitors to the hotel. Go for it! :hug:

You'll be able to buy the facial products once you have some cash coming in. You could offer facial massage on it's own until then.

I did not think about offering facial massage untill i get my products, thanks for that idea.

the room that was £200 a month 1st month free actually didnt happen, the lady said she needs someone who lives closer, I only live 40mins away ohwell!!

found another room tho, iv posted a thread about it if uv got any advice.

sarah
xx

I did not think about offering facial massage untill i get my products, thanks for that idea.

the room that was £200 a month 1st month free actually didnt happen, the lady said she needs someone who lives closer, I only live 40mins away ohwell!!

found another room tho, iv posted a thread about it if uv got any advice.

sarah
xx

I just looked at your other thread but not sure what to advise. Why don't you tell the woman in the hotel that you are really keen to rent the room, ask her why she is worried about renting the room to someone who lives further away and that you are very contentious and that she could give you a trial to see if she is happy. She must be worried about you being late for work, you can possibly dissolve this worry for her. :hug:

I just looked at your other thread but not sure what to advise. Why don't you tell the woman in the hotel that you are really keen to rent the room, ask her why she is worried about renting the room to someone who lives further away and that you are very contentious and that she could give you a trial to see if she is happy. She must be worried about you being late for work, you can possibly dissolve this worry for her. :hug:

she said she needs someone closer because they get alot of last minute bookings.xx

Fair enough but could you not be there anyway just in case as you would be in a normal salon? Even if you lived close it wouldn't mean you could necessarily drop what you were doing and go in.

I suppose this suggests however that they are not that busy if they don't expect someone to be there full time. :hug:

Fair enough but could you not be there anyway just in case as you would be in a normal salon? Even if you lived close it wouldn't mean you could necessarily drop what you were doing and go in.

I suppose this suggests however that they are not that busy if they don't expect someone to be there full time. :hug:

well I did say to the lady I would want to be there 5 maybe 6 days a week.
soo i sopose your right.
anyway im goin to look at another place today, ill let u know how it goes. xx

Hi hun, i have a clent very soon so for now i give you a big hug and a kiss but will talk to u laterxxx

ok, i went to look at a room yesterday, well its impressive. its two large rooms both with sinks and then a stock room and then a waiting area, all this for £550 a month. and its in a gym that has a database of over 2000.

ok everything is looking really good, everything comes in with the rent except card payment facillities and phone line.

only problem i have is, im not too sure on the area, it looks a little scary to be honest, a little rough.

Dont know what to doooo.

xx

Hi hun, my heart is with you at the moment especielly with you being poorly as well. Personally i think if u can i would work from home. Do u have a spare room you could work from. This way you can build a clientel up slowly and gain strength whilst you are having treatment and not have to worry about paying rent every week.
If this is not possible then renting would be the way forward for you. I have done this and now am at home, the first six months would be hard in regards to covering rent overheads etc but you will get there.:)
You have to remember u will get some quiet weeks and there fore be prepared to cover the rent if need be, sorry to say it, but this is what could happen. I hope u manage to get sorted hun, and if you go for a room we geeks will help u as much as we can in any way er can, take care:hug:

ok, i went to look at a room yesterday, well its impressive. its two large rooms both with sinks and then a stock room and then a waiting area, all this for £550 a month. and its in a gym that has a database of over 2000.

ok everything is looking really good, everything comes in with the rent except card payment facillities and phone line.

only problem i have is, im not too sure on the area, it looks a little scary to be honest, a little rough.

Dont know what to doooo.

xx

You poor thing, what a decision making time for you eh ?? Whatever you decide or whatever happens, there is always a reason for everything, even if you dont agree with it at the time. But back to the question. I have recently moved from a main road small salon to a larger one slap bang in the middle of a housing estate. Now although much scarier leaving on a night, it has massively made a difference. All the people that live there (hope this doesnt sound snobby because its not meant to) are throwing money at beauty treatments, which being honest has surprised me a bit. We get far many more walk-ins than we did on the main road ! The people are really down to earth and chatty. I really wouldnt let it put you off, I know exactly what you mean, honestly but go with whatever your gut instinct tells you to do. I would make a decision then just stick to your guns and follow it through, then you can dust your hands off, roll your sleeves up and follow your dream. Hope that helps, all the very best of luck and keep us all posted about your business and most importantly you ! xxxx Ps. Most men just want to see the money coming in, so does mine - lol ! xx

Just a thought but given your problem with your Spine, is that not classed as being Incapacitated/Disabled? I would suggest yes it is. Now to help you out financially it maybe worth talking to a local JobCentre about Pathways to work. From this you could actually get finacial help for at least a year whilst you are establishing the Business. Not a lot of people know this but you can actually Work whilst being Incapacitated/Disabled under certain schemes with trained advisors. With this you can claim Incapacity Benefit, Diability Living Allowance and various Tax Credits as boosters to.

Obviously if your partner is working then these things maybe affected and it could be a waste of time. However if you are both on low income this maybe a way forward, certainly with your Business plan anyway.

hi, thanks i didnt know about that. im going to see my local business advisor on weds and then to my local jobcenter on thurs. so ill ask them both about this.
I think with disability allowance ur partners income will not effect that. im not sure tho u know what the bloody goverment are like.

thanks tho ill def ask about that.

xx

Latest posts

Back