Help- Shellac wearing at the ends!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heather78

Reaction score
Hi all, I got my Shellac kit last week & I'm really pleased with it. I did my own nails for the 3rd time on Tuesday (because I wanted to try different colours & practice removal!) but I noticed last night after working all day with it on that its slightly worn at the ends. My nails aren't very long. I followed the procedure 100% and gently swiped the free edge with the brush after base/colour & top. Just wandered if this is normal or have I missed something?? I'd like to get going with it today as I have 3 clients having manicures & think I can get them to go try Shellac but want to be sure I do it right!

Be grateful for any advice x

Hi all, I got my Shellac kit last week & I'm really pleased with it. I did my own nails for the 3rd time on Tuesday (because I wanted to try different colours & practice removal!) but I noticed last night after working all day with it on that its slightly worn at the ends. My nails aren't very long. I followed the procedure 100% and gently swiped the free edge with the brush after base/colour & top. Just wandered if this is normal or have I missed something?? I'd like to get going with it today as I have 3 clients having manicures & think I can get them to go try Shellac but want to be sure I do it right!

Be grateful for any advice x

It sounds like either you didnt 'swipe' the free edge properly or prep the nail properly first (you had to wipe with scrub fresh underneath the nail also). This shouldnt happen this quick. cndvideo's Channel - YouTube

suzanne118- yep that's where I went wrong not scrubfreshing under the nail, thanks. Pretty sure I swiped well! Swiping is not over easy on yourself, easier on clients! thanks again x

suzanne118- yep that's where I went wrong not scrubfreshing under the nail, thanks. Pretty sure I swiped well! Swiping is not over easy on yourself, easier on clients! thanks again x

I agree! When I Shellac myself, I usually do not seal the free edges. I have had no problems whatsoever. HTH! :)

I was having problems with the free edge fading, also. My Shellac has been on for a week, but the very tips of the free edge are bare. If I were a "picker" I'd have already picked this Shellac off, just because I can see bare nail on the tip. So, I'm sure there are clients that would do the same.

I searched for the problem and found this thread. Since then, I've been meticulously cleaning the nail, including under the free edge, with Scrub Fresh. Also, swiping (sealing, not capping) the free edge. The free edges are good and covered for a couple days. But, after much use at all, the free edge is bare.

I'm really at a loss for this. Is this normal? I can't imagine color staying on the free edge for 14 solid days. Just because it's an edge and they take the most abuse. :|

Hi Ambur30,

I totally agree, I think every day things will wear the free edge, I can't see how it won't! I haven't got shellac on my nails now as I managed to get some product on mine last week while I was shellacing my clients & I thought it was a terrible advert!! I'm mainly beauty so not used to working with polished nails! Although it was awesome doing normal mani's/pedi's with shellac on!!

I have done 5 shellac's now since last week including my mum & brothers girlfriend so I will wait & see what happens with there's!!

I do however think that Shellac is an amazing product despite this minor issue with the free edge!! Please let me no if you find out anything else on this & I will do the same!!

Heather xx

Is it all nails or just some? It is is just a couple, could it be a particular thing you do such as how you hold a nail file?

I don't expect the free edge to have full colour on the ends for 14 days as they do get so much more abuse, especially typing etc.

As long as there's no chipping, I'm a happy bunny! :)

Is it all nails or just some? It is is just a couple, could it be a particular thing you do such as how you hold a nail file?

I agree with Sarah, it may be something that you are doing. (I often file the Shellac off my index finger on my left hand accidently)

Don't forget when you have Shellac on your own nails, you need to be careful when you Shellac someone elses nails, as the Scrubfresh contains some acetone and you could possibly wear the free edge if you touched off enough Scrubfresh during the day... hands down pads are great to protect your own nails!

Also, be careful not to touch the Acetone when soaking Shellac off clients... best to use the remover pads, so no Acetone will get on your own nails. :)

I just thought I would add to this thread to tell you of my little problem. I suffer very badly with eczema. I have applied shellac to my own nails but my free edge wears badly, it never chips but really does wear. I have put this down to scratching my skin a lot. It's like I am buffing the free edge off. I have never been able to have a NNO as I have the same problem. My clients never have a problem and their nails still look perfect after 2 weeks. I wonder if anyone else has this problem?

Hi all, thanks ever so much for your replies! I see what your saying about holding a nail file etc but it was on all the nails maybe except the little ones! I had washed my hair that morning but wouldn't have thought one hair wash would have done that!

I'm not too worried about it anymore as I just think like lisag said in her post its unlikely not to wear off the free edge as they get so much stick!! As long as it's not chipping that's the main thing! Also I am extremely fussy and was probably studying my nails way more than clients would! xxxxx

My clients never have a problem and their nails still look perfect after 2 weeks.

That is what's confusing me. I don't have any problems with chipping. And after 14 days, the nails still look great....except for the free edge! And you have to turn the nails and "look down the barrel" to see it. But, I wouldn't say that the nails look "perfect." That's why I was thinking it was just me who was having issues with the free edge fading.

I don't expect the free edge to have full colour on the ends for 14 days as they do get so much more abuse, especially typing etc.

I'm hoping this is the case, and it's nothing I'm doing. I'm 99.9% sure I'm following instructions perfectly. And that .1% is because of the free edge! ;)

Latest posts

Back