HELP!! US client arranging manicure for hospitilised mother who refuses to cut nails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eventer07

Reaction score
HELP please!!
I have a US client call me today... he wants to buy his mother a manicure - she is in hospital local to me.
He wants to do this, as her nails are apparently very thick, long, and yellow from smoking with them for 72 years!!!!! ahh!!
She wont let staff cut her nails, so the family and staff together thought that if I go in, in uniform etc and perform the treatment... that she might be swayed to have them cut! He said to leave it if its too dificult?!?!
Must say I am a little scared at this point - but always up for a challenge.

I asked if she has any conditions which would prevent her from having dead skin around cuticle etc removed - he didnt know and said to liase with hospital staff about that.

What medical questions should I ask?! Ive never done an elderly hospitalised client before!

Also - I asked if nails were especially thick etc... and he said they were.
Do you think my normal manicure tools would get through them?!
Should I soften nails before clipping?
Any tips please????? x:(

Im not sure I would actually perform this treatment!!! If she wont let anyone else touch her hands, why would she allow you to??? Also, if she is in hospital surely there are numerous contra-indications linked to her???
I would probably recommend a family member try to cut her nails first...

Hi - I was thinking that whilst speaking to client (hence posting on here) however... so I believe, they have tried to cut her nails as have hospital staff.
They are hoping she may be more accepting if it were a professional treatment rather than one of the family or a nurse trying to do it.
Im not sure what to do really...!

does she know that a beauty professional is coming in to cut her nails? has she consented to it?
she sounds as if she has challenging behaviour, which would be difficult under normal circumstances, without the added problem of her nails being really thick and needing extra attention etc ..
i work pt time in a care home, and considered offering my services there but have since changed my mind, in my case there were more problems than it was worth
id personally let that job go, but its up to you .. it seems like a lot of stress and effort to come out with just the price of a manicure:(
ps. im not being 'ageist' its just you give the impression she's a difficult client, and doesnt want to have her nails done under any circumstances ;)

Last edited:
Hi - I was thinking that whilst speaking to client (hence posting on here) however... so I believe, they have tried to cut her nails as have hospital staff.
They are hoping she may be more accepting if it were a professional treatment rather than one of the family or a nurse trying to do it.
Im not sure what to do really...!

I would go and make it a fun experience. If she's that old and hospitalized, she's probably sick of being poked and prodded.

Tell her you are there to pamper her. How could anyone refuse that? :)

I would speak to staff about contra-indications, confirm that the 'client' is AGREEABLE because no one wants to aggravate the ill and you certainly don't want possibly negative repercussions from her freaking out.

IF staff encourages it and there aren't any worrisome contra-indications (get signatures that confirm that, on a consent/client consult form), then proceed.

Perhaps she can be 'cajoled' into getting her nails "shaped" (reducing the length) by a file, as opposed to cutting them. Wording can sometimes be key.
Encourage the son that she should view this as a pampering/luxury treatment due to her lengthy stay at the hospital and he can tell her that he thought she was overdue for some "star-treatment".
Make it a luxury mani with soaking and exfoliation and massage and such, getting her relaxed prior to the "shaping" of the nails to "Improve their appearance" and "flatter her hands better" (as I said, wording can be key, when trying to convince someone what's best for them, as with children).

I have also found that this age-group also appreciates you appealing to their vanity...
Example:
"How about if we paint them this bright pink and add a little flower? All the nurses will be jealous of your lovely and fashionable nails, you're so young at spirit, why not show it?"
OR
"What do you think of this lovely lavender, to compliment your pretty green eyes? And we could add a little rhinestone to bling you out and draw attention to your nicely shaped hands"

YES, she'll be tired of being poked at.
HOWEVER if it's presented to her as a luxury treatment long overdue, that she has certainly merited and justly deserves.... it might change her mindset.

She might also enjoy seeing a different face that isn't that of hospital-staff nor family. A stranger to whom she can vent to her heart's desire, all her frustrations, and who isn't biased.

IF you have a white uniform, I would suggest wearing a different colour, something bright and cheery to separate yourself from hospital staff and the cheery colour might help lighten her mood as well.

Be prepared with jokes and stories to entertain her, if she's not the chatty sort.

Go the extra mile, if you get a green light.
Be positive.

At the end of the day, you MIGHT find that this sort of client is your BEST one and you might get repeat business.

hth's

I would speak to staff about contra-indications, confirm that the 'client' is AGREEABLE because no one wants to aggravate the ill and you certainly don't want possibly negative repercussions from her freaking out.

IF staff encourages it and there aren't any worrisome contra-indications (get signatures that confirm that, on a consent/client consult form), then proceed.

Perhaps she can be 'cajoled' into getting her nails "shaped" (reducing the length) by a file, as opposed to cutting them. Wording can sometimes be key.
Encourage the son that she should view this as a pampering/luxury treatment due to her lengthy stay at the hospital and he can tell her that he thought she was overdue for some "star-treatment".
Make it a luxury mani with soaking and exfoliation and massage and such, getting her relaxed prior to the "shaping" of the nails to "Improve their appearance" and "flatter her hands better" (as I said, wording can be key, when trying to convince someone what's best for them, as with children).

I have also found that this age-group also appreciates you appealing to their vanity...
Example:
"How about if we paint them this bright pink and add a little flower? All the nurses will be jealous of your lovely and fashionable nails, you're so young at spirit, why not show it?"
OR
"What do you think of this lovely lavender, to compliment your pretty green eyes? And we could add a little rhinestone to bling you out and draw attention to your nicely shaped hands"

YES, she'll be tired of being poked at.
HOWEVER if it's presented to her as a luxury treatment long overdue, that she has certainly merited and justly deserves.... it might change her mindset.

She might also enjoy seeing a different face that isn't that of hospital-staff nor family. A stranger to whom she can vent to her heart's desire, all her frustrations, and who isn't biased.

IF you have a white uniform, I would suggest wearing a different colour, something bright and cheery to separate yourself from hospital staff and the cheery colour might help lighten her mood as well.

Be prepared with jokes and stories to entertain her, if she's not the chatty sort.

Go the extra mile, if you get a green light.
Be positive.

At the end of the day, you MIGHT find that this sort of client is your BEST one and you might get repeat business.

hth's
yep and the old dears sharing a ward with her might consider having theirs done too!

I agree with V :D

This poor lady has possibly been in hospital for some time and may view interaction with people as another way to poke, prod and test her. If she feels that she is being treated because she is special, rather than she is poorly or her nails are a "problem" then she may be more accepting.

If she allows the treatment, see if you can engage her in conversation about her younger years and the nail trends of the day - perhaps you could try to recreate something that holds a spcial memory for her be it by shape, length or colour?

Above all, this lady sounds like she really needs a special pick me up and even if you don't get to do her nails, I am sure she would love to see a friendly face who is interested in her as a person rather than a patient xxx

I think if you can go it it will be nice for her. go in with your uniform and all your polish and manicure products on display and she might like it!I agree try to file if cutting is a no no. it might be the nail cutters that is putting her off but a file is different, not such a threat. I know it would be hard if they're really long but its better than nothing.

even if you don't get the nails shorter but you manage a little file and paint its a step in the right direction.

Ex

I think you should do it, providing there are no contraindication to prevent it.

If she is a really hard nut to crack and she really really refuses to get her nails shortened, then leave them the length they are and just reassure her you are only going file them to make them all the same shape.
Then go ahead with the other parts of the service.
Even if her family don't wish to purchase a delux mani, I'm sure if you don't have to spend the time shortening her nails, you could spend that time giving her a really lovely relaxing massage.
Explain every step as you go, so she feels safe and reassure her that you will stop any time she says she in not comfy.
I totally agree with V, it's all in your wording and the elderly love it when you pamper to their vanity.
I have an elderly aunt who is becoming more difficult to deal with. She has started to complain that when we visit her we don't spend ALL our time with her exclusively:rolleyes: (she lives with my inlaws so we spend time with them too).
So what I have discovered that works and is keeping her happy and keeping her from complaining about us all is, I tell her great her hair is looking and how great her skin is looking and her makeup looks reeeeeeally good too and the smile it brings to her face lasts for hours and when it goes away, I say it again and I sometimes might have to say it 5 times in the one visit but it is keeping her happy and stopping her complaints.
I know it's a bit sneaky:twisted: but it works and my mother in law thinks I'm a genius cause no one else has ever managed to get her to stop complaining like I can:D

So just go and do what you can and make it a positive thing for all of you.
Good luck:Love: let us know how it went.

Latest posts

Back