Help with adding to Shellac service - eg glitters

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shortshadylady

Reaction score
Hi Geeks

Hoping someone will be able to assist. Up until now, I have only ever used and offered Shellac 'as it is' i.e. as a colour with no added extras (glitters, additives or the such). This is purely down to lack of confidence/experience I think. I do however feel that I'm ready to up the ante somewhat now. I had a lady ask me yesterday for the effect in the photo attached (think she found it on here) and I have not a clue what products to buy in order to recreate it. It looks to me like a gold glitter over a colour such as lobster roll?? At the moment, the only gold effect I have is tinsel toast. I plan to try this over various colours today to see if I can vaguely recreate what she is looking for but I realise there is a need to progress. I know I shall have to take the plunge and purchase some glitters etc from S2 but I just don't know where to start!! It is unlikely that I could afford to buy them all at once.

Thanks so much for any help. And HUGE apologies to whomever 'owns' this photo and wonderful nails!! x

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1370939380.588992.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1370939380.588992.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 774
Hi Geeks

Hoping someone will be able to assist. Up until now, I have only ever used and offered Shellac 'as it is' i.e. as a colour with no added extras (glitters, additives or the such). This is purely down to lack of confidence/experience I think. I do however feel that I'm ready to up the ante somewhat now. I had a lady ask me yesterday for the effect in the photo attached (think she found it on here) and I have not a clue what products to buy in order to recreate it. It looks to me like a gold glitter over a colour such as lobster roll?? At the moment, the only gold effect I have is tinsel toast. I plan to try this over various colours today to see if I can vaguely recreate what she is looking for but I realise there is a need to progress. I know I shall have to take the plunge and purchase some glitters etc from S2 but I just don't know where to start!! It is unlikely that I could afford to buy them all at once.

Thanks so much for any help. And HUGE apologies to whomever 'owns' this photo and wonderful nails!! x

This looks like a yellow glitter brushed in the tacky layer of cured CND Shellac Tropix :)
Have fun!

This looks like a yellow glitter brushed in the tacky layer of cured CND Shellac Tropix :)
Have fun!

Thank you very much for your reply. I am perusing the S2 catalogue as we speak. Unnerving variety!! Yikes.

Thank you. x

I did this exact same colour on a couple of clients a few weeks ago!

2 coats lobster roll with tangerine iridescent irresistible glitter.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1370942202.758186.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1370942202.758186.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 808
  • ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1370942220.778016.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1370942220.778016.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 615
There is a Shellac Arts and Styles class you can take, but you would need to ring S2 to find out the actual content. I think that would really build your confidence if it offered what you were looking for.

Or, have a look at the Fingernail fixer's youtube channel to get a visual idea of how she adds glitters and Additives to Shellac. Holly explains things beautifully and will offer some great tips along the way to make application easier.

I would start with a few of the more popular glitters from the Irresistible range that you can find on S2, or if you have an Academy shop near you, go in and have a look at them in the flesh and talk to the staff, who I'm sure would be more than happy to talk it through with you.

Holographic glitters stand out and catch the light to give out an extra dimension to the sparkle and one of the most popular is the silver holo. I would also look at the purple and the pink. But, you know your clients and what colours they like. For gold, I prefer the light gold over the regular, as I find it too brassy.

Practice on yourself as it is a good way to show it off and create more interest. There are loads of tips on how to apply the glitters, but the main one I would offer is to use Clearly Pink or Mother of Pearl over the glitter before your topcoat. This gives you a nice smooth finish, saves your topcoat from contamination of glitter and also makes removal easier than using two layers of topcoat.

I have also done this colour with 2 coats tropix and tangerine glitter :)

I did this exact same colour on a couple of clients a few weeks ago!

2 coats lobster roll with tangerine iridescent irresistible glitter.

Fantastic!! Thank you so much. Very grateful to you both. Seems I will have to do some shopping! x

There is a Shellac Arts and Styles class you can take, but you would need to ring S2 to find out the actual content. I think that would really build your confidence if it offered what you were looking for.

Or, have a look at the Fingernail fixer's youtube channel to get a visual idea of how she adds glitters and Additives to Shellac. Holly explains things beautifully and will offer some great tips along the way to make application easier.

I would start with a few of the more popular glitters from the Irresistible range that you can find on S2, or if you have an Academy shop near you, go in and have a look at them in the flesh and talk to the staff, who I'm sure would be more than happy to talk it through with you.

Holographic glitters stand out and catch the light to give out an extra dimension to the sparkle and one of the most popular is the silver holo. I would also look at the purple and the pink. But, you know your clients and what colours they like. For gold, I prefer the light gold over the regular, as I find it too brassy.

Practice on yourself as it is a good way to show it off and create more interest. There are loads of tips on how to apply the glitters, but the main one I would offer is to use Clearly Pink or Mother of Pearl over the glitter before your topcoat. This gives you a nice smooth finish, saves your topcoat from contamination of glitter and also makes removal easier than using two layers of topcoat.

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a helpful post. Very grateful. I shall look at the colours you have mentioned right away. I guess I am simply going to have to bite the bullet and spend some cash! Thank you all again. x

Oh my goodness, there are too many!!!

Ok, so far I've settled on:

Holographic silver (would this work with anything??)
Iridescent tangerine (for use with tropix and lobster roll maybe?)
Iridescent Azure (for use with purple purple?)

And now I'm stuck!! The colours I have are...

All the 'French' colours (beau, negligee, studio white and creme puff)
Waterpark*
MoP
Zillionaire
Moonlight and roses
Cake pop*
Grapefruit sparkle
Lilac longing*
Tutti frutti*
Tropix*
Hot chillis*
Hollywood*
Red baroness
Masquerade
Dark lava
Rubble
Purple purple*
Midnight swim
Rock royalty
Asphalt
Hotski tchotchke*

I'm guessing I'm looking for glitters to work with the 'brighter', more summery colours? (I have popped a little asterix next to the ones I think might work with glitter). Can anyone advise on which others I ought to buy? I can maybe afford five or so.

Thank you so much again!! x

Ok, I've spoken to a lovely lady at S2 who explained the difference between the iridescent and regular glitters. She also suggested which ones might be more popular at the moment but I am still at a total loss as to what to buy to suit my colours. I'm such a ditherer!

So, what do we think of this as a starting point.....

Iridescent tangerine
Iridescent Confetti pink
Silver holographic
Then one of the blues eg Iridescent midnight blue, rainbow blue or azure??

I'm thinking I ought to also have a couple of full coverage glitters.

Dearie me; this is so tricky!!! And I have absolutely trawled hundreds of posts on rockstars. Hubby will wonder what I've been up to all day! Thank you all again. x

The Azure blue (Irresistible Blue holographic) is gorgeous!

I'd also recommend the pinky/purple (Lavender Irresistible) one x

Funnily enough a picture I posted on here this morning shows all the colours you're wanting :)

Here:

Confetti on the Barbie thumb.
Azure on the blue middle finger.
Silver holo on various.
Tangerine on the orange middle finger.

I would also recommend the pink/purple (Lavender) holographic which is on the Barbie pointy finger and the bottom left thumb :)

Last edited:
The Azure blue (Irresistible Blue holographic) is gorgeous!

I'd also recommend the pinky/purple (Lavender Irresistible) one x

Funnily enough a picture I posted on here this morning shows all the colours you're wanting :)

Here:

Confetti on the Barbie thumb.
Azure on the blue middle finger.
Silver holo on various.
Tangerine on the orange middle finger.

I would also recommend the pink/purple (Lavender) holographic which is on the Barbie pointy finger and the bottom left thumb :)

That is a massive help! Thank you so much. Seems my decision making isn't that far off track then. I shall definitely look at that lavender. Thank you again! x

I would defiantly agree that the holographic lavender is gorgeous. Here's a picture of it over Tutti Frutti and also a pic of the Holographic blue which I love!

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1370961446.516806.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1370961446.516806.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 873
  • ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1370961468.968411.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1370961468.968411.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 595
Candy pink is amazing you need it! Lol over midnight swim it goes a gorgeous petrol blue.

As for you photo I have a feeling that salmon glitter is the one used as that has a gold shimmer to it.

I've got most of the irresistible range and my most populars are candy pink, darkest pink holographic, holographic blue, holographic purple, deep red holographic and silver holographic. The silver is fab for fades on any colour xx

To me The pic looks like salmon irresistible glitter over maybe lobster roll/ Tropix
Xx

Oh you guys are just all too amazing! Thank you all SO much!!! I finally feel like I'm getting to grips with it. Cannot thank you all enough. Especially for taking the time to post photographs. I'm placing my order tonight which will definitely include the lavender you all rave about, the salmon and/or tangerine and a blue. Oh, and apparently I simply MUST have candy pink!! Hehe.

You're all too fab. Thank you xx

I would defiantly agree that the holographic lavender is gorgeous. Here's a picture of it over Tutti Frutti and also a pic of the Holographic blue which I love!

Ooh, could I ask what colour you used the holographic blue over in the pic? Thank you! x

That is a massive help! Thank you so much. Seems my decision making isn't that far off track then. I shall definitely look at that lavender. Thank you again! x

Those nails are incredible by the way!!! I feel quite humbled with my limited knowledge. x

Glitter goes with everything!!! There is a Glitter addicts thread which is worth checking out for ideas and colours. Have lots of fun when your parcel arrives xx

Girls are these glitters or additives? I have all the cnd additives but don't know the names off the top of my head, if these are glitters did you but from s2 and apply the same way as additives in the cures sticky layer?

Latest posts

Back