Help with client starting chemo, please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marie P

Reaction score
Hi, one of my clients has just discovered she has breast cancer. She is starting chemotherapy next week and has been told if she wears dark nail polish it may prevent her from losing her nails. She has acrylic overlays with nail art and loves anything glittery. I've tried to read up on it as much as possible but all I can find is that the drugs make the nails sensitive to uv light and black nail polish prevents uv penetrating and damaging the nails. Do any techs out there have any experience do this? Do you think led cured power polish may help maintain the strength of her nails or could it cause more damage? Any help would be appreciated xxx

I can't offfer any answers but was going to post something similar about shellac this eve as my friend has hers done by me regularly but has just been diagnosed with Hodgkins Lymphoma and I was wondering about nails and chemo too?

One of my closest friends had breast cancer, we were both having gel nails, and she was advised to wear dark colours, but the lady that did our nails said that chemo sometimes stops gel from adhering as well to the nails, and they did all come off my friend within a week.

2 years ago my nail technician was diagnosed with non hodgkins lymphoma, she also had chemo but managed to keep hers on, so we concluded it's different from one person to the next. Hope your client makes a full recovery xxx

Hi Anf,
Chemotherapy can affect the way that hair and nails grow, but changes in the nail matrix are the reasons for changes in nail's growth pattern. The color or types nail coatings on the nail plate are unlikely to any effect on the nail plate when it comes to chemotherapy. The reason the nail plate is lost is because the chemotherapy temporarily slows or halts nail cell production in the matrix. Once nail cell production returns to normal, the nail plate starts to grow again.
Doug

Hi Anf,
Chemotherapy can affect the way that hair and nails grow, but changes in the nail matrix are the reasons for changes in nail's growth pattern. The color or types nail coatings on the nail plate are unlikely to any effect on the nail plate when it comes to chemotherapy. The reason the nail plate is lost is because the chemotherapy temporarily slows or halts nail cell production in the matrix. Once nail cell production returns to normal, the nail plate starts to grow again.
Doug

Doug when my sister had chemo her nails at one stage had stopped growing and started again so there was a horizontal ridge/trench across her nails moving down from the cuticle area .
But another lady I know ,some of her nails 'loosened' ,if you placed a finger on the surface of her nail plate ,her nail was like it was on a spongy surface but the nail itself was firm ofcourse.

Latest posts

Back