Help with deciding on treatment couch needed

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loupy

Reaction score
Hi,

As I am new to all this and starting up on relatively low budget I wonder if any of you can tell me would it matter if I use a portable massage bed full time static in spa? also does it need to be height adjustable taking into account various therapists height?. Thanks in advance!

I personaly think you would definatly need a hight adjustable couch, otherwise your therapists could end up working in unsuitable postions and have back problems. You may also need different hights depending on what treatment is performed.

I'm not sure about a mobile couch in a spa situation, I would imagine it would depend on how upmarket the spa was. You could probably hide the couch with luxurious covers etc to make it appear more expensive, it would depend on what look you were after.

Okay so definately height adjustable - would love a more pro look but just sooo expensive to start out so thought I might 'upgrade' a bit later on. Cheers for replying

How many couches do you need, and what's your budget? Tbh, if you can stretch to it, hydraulic couches (not necessarily electrical) are miles better as they can be adjusted to any height and are far more sturdy than portables. The main problem with portables is that in time they start to squeak in time to a massage - not very relaxing!!

If you do a search on google under massage table or couch (or something like that) you should find a fair few suppliers of couches. Places like Darley or SKF are good ones to start with, but may not be the cheapest, so shop around!

i had to start on a budget too, i actually got my couch secondhand so its worth looking around x

I really don't think you can skimp on such important things like couches. If your therapists are fully booked back to back then you owe it to them to provide the best tools to make their job easier. I've come across too many therapists who have worked in spa's and salons who end up with chronic back problems because their employer skimped on the couches - which will cost you in sick pay and therapists downtime. So definitely height adjustable. I have a hydraulic couch which is fab, I got it from Beautelle. However http://www.cosmetronic.com/ do a great line of good couches for people on a tight budget.

I also agree that a portable couch squeaks after a while. I've used a second hand one before and never again! It wobbles too - and I've also heard of a someone doing a massage on a very large person and the portable couch broke.

Thanks for your replies - okay will have to do some more shopping around then me thinks!

I really don't think you can skimp on such important things like couches. If your therapists are fully booked back to back then you owe it to them to provide the best tools to make their job easier. I've come across too many therapists who have worked in spa's and salons who end up with chronic back problems because their employer skimped on the couches - which will cost you in sick pay and therapists downtime. So definitely height adjustable. I have a hydraulic couch which is fab, I got it from Beautelle. However http://www.cosmetronic.com/ do a great line of good couches for people on a tight budget.

I also agree that a portable couch squeaks after a while. I've used a second hand one before and never again! It wobbles too - and I've also heard of a someone doing a massage on a very large person and the portable couch broke.

I had mine made for me by marshcouch, its portable. Ive had it about 20 years, its fantastic never squeaks,wobbles or collapses.If it did they are a family company(all they do are couches) they would take it back and fix it.
Ive had 20 stone men regularly on that couch.

:) :) Oh Dear...Im not even going to try and explain

:o Far too innocent for all this.....!

Anyway, I will check out some of those sites so thanks for that ladies - makes it triple hard as im not a beauty therapist myself so setting up is a bit mind boggling!

I am also looking for a treatment bed for facials etc. I have been looking at some on the net and it looks as if the leg are wooden, Iam sure its just me but they look as if they would wobble and not take much weight. Am I just getting this all wrong? I cant afford an expensive one and have seen some steel legged ones (The kind they use in colleges) but not height adjustable.....any more advice?
Are the wooden ones more stable than they appear? Where can I go to look at some in the flesh???
Cheers ...A confused (But loving the beauty course) geek.

I have said before on various threads that i have the REM Air Lite couch. A must for mobile work as it is height adjustable and very lightweight - only 12kg. Very sturdy too and i have had no problems, its not the cheapest out there, but not too expensive, and i really wanted a height adjustable one and lightweight.

:: Therapy2000.com :: HOME :: - 20k -

found this website last night and thought they were reasonable for couches especially the electric couches
Hth

Suzy,

Thats the best website i have seen so far price wise so thankyou v much!.

:)

Hi all,

just to let you know i found a fab website for my electric couch and only cost me 595 with delivery and VAT- i think it has gone up a bit though since i purchased it but it is real sturdy and is a 3 motor couch, with face hole and removable arms...wwww.arrowhair.com have a look. It is the aston 3 motor couch.

Hope you find a good one x

Hi all,

just to let you know i found a fab website for my electric couch and only cost me 595 with delivery and VAT- i think it has gone up a bit though since i purchased it but it is real sturdy and is a 3 motor couch, with face hole and removable arms...wwww.arrowhair.com have a look. It is the aston 3 motor couch.

Hope you find a good one x

Thankyou for that, I have had a look and price seems to be the same - they have some other good deals on there too!

IMO a portable couch in a SPA is an absolute no no, from a clients point of view I would think it cheap & un-professional.

Is it actually a Spa or a Salon ? How much did you budget in your business plan ?

If you buy cheap then you can't expect to charge premium prices.

The owner of the last salon I worked in provided the equipment and she got everything as cheap as she possibly could. The couch was £100, looked nice but it was sooooooo low impossible to massage on. Nail Station was cheapest she could find & it looked it. She knew nothing about beauty & just bought random things from wholesalers thinking she'd done me a favour then expected me to charge the earth for treatments.

Latest posts

Back