Help with eyelash tinting and patch test??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cutiecuticles

Reaction score
Hi all ive got a dilemma or two!
Number 1: Ive got a client tomorrow for an eyelash tint however i bought my eyelash tint last september and i have only used it once since, anyway is it still okay to use after all this time??

Number 2: My client refuses a patch test, cant get time off work etc, so i cant turn her away (dauighter of big client) so should i make her sign a disclaimer? If so how would you word it etc?

Any advice muchly greatly appreciated.
Thanks xx:|

i realise this is a nail site but i know that lots of u are beauty therapists with much experience too! And needed your invaluable help!

xxx

cutiecuticles said:
Hi all ive got a dilemma or two!
Number 1: Ive got a client tomorrow for an eyelash tint however i bought my eyelash tint last september and i have only used it once since, anyway is it still okay to use after all this time??
i have had mine jsut about that long and it is still working fine.

Number 2: My client refuses a patch test, cant get time off work etc, so i cant turn her away (dauighter of big client) so should i make her sign a disclaimer? If so how would you word it etc?
For one, why is she refusing a patch test?
And yes i would make her sign a disclaimer stating tht you offered her a patch test which she has declined, and that yu are not held responsible for the treatment.
Any advice muchly greatly appreciated.
Thanks xx:|

You need to be aware also, is yur insured still viable if she hasn't had a patch test?

DO NOT DO THE TREATMENT! The Law of Sod will be that the one client you don't do a patch test on is the one that will bite you in the bum! And for 5 quid or so, it's not worth it! Do not let anyone bully you into sacrificing your own professional integrity, never mind that it's invalidating your insurance.

Also given that it's a while that you have done this treatment you may be over zealous with your application and get some in her eye. She may then think she has had an allergic reaction rather than a contra-action, if you had done the patch test you would be able to say with certainty that it was because the product went in her eye and it wasn't an allergiv reaction.

Phone her back and say that you've double checked with your insurance company that it would invalidate your insurance and so you cannot under any circumstances do it - a patch test only takes 5 minutes, can't believe she can't spare you that. No disclaimer she signed would protect you in a court of law - you're the therapist and your clients follow your advice - not the other way round!!

she says shes had it done previously etc etc and i explained to her that we all use different products etc but she wont have it! thanks for the advice on usage of my tint etc! x

Doesn't matter hun. If you have your hair coloured in a salon then a good salon won't do it unless you have a patch test, no matter where you have had it done before or with what products. You only have your clients word for this, and people do get confused with what brands they have had elsewhere. You have to be strong on this one and say that you are too much of a professional to take the risk, apolgise profusely (not that you have anything to say sorry for) but stand your ground.

Make you wonder why she won't have it!!...dosn't it.

I think i wuld do like Sassy and refuse the treatment unless she has a patch test.

Don't do it sweetie pie!

Hmm yeah it does make me wonder now, maybe she just cant be bothered to find the time to come and have the test? Does anyone know of the tests which u can get to send to clients in the post now??

I feel bad that ive left it to the day before now tho, im guna feel quite nervous doin it now aswel if i did do it. I dont think i do want to do it ohterwise i wudnt be askin advice would i! Shes also having an eyebrow wax at same time as supposed tint so should i just ring and explain my ins wont cover etc? I feel bullied!!

I still wouldn't risk a home use patch test - clients sometimes tell porkies just to get what they want. I would want to be 100% certain they have had a test, and done properly too.

Cutie, this is your livelihood and you professionalism on the line here hun. You have to stand your ground with people like this, much better to lose the business than risk a potential disaster.

Yeah thats true hassy. I should just ring and say y i cant do it etc, its hard to be firm with them int it!
By the way not related but i just rang supernail for info on backscratchers fibreglass dip system and they're sending me a free trial pack limited time only apparently! Bit annoyed that i have to do their training to buy more items tho!

dont do it , its not worth it , you dont want anything on your concious if anything went wrong ,!! , i am doing my mate who has hers done all the time at her salon, but she wants me to do em , and i said i would have to do a patch test , and she's like 'no its fine i have it done all the time ' and i said sorry if u dont have a patch test then you dont have the tint !!! she is having her patch test this aft , then she can have em done on fri :green:

hi hun

I did my lash tint/perm training about a month ago, and we asked (re patch test) the trainer but "what if someone comes in off the street and wants a treatment". She said one option would be to do a patch test and wait 15-20 mins. If they are going to have a reaction they will have one straight away.
Obviously it is better to do a patch test 24 hours previously. If you do decide to do one 15-20 mins before make sure you get her to sign the consultation form with a note about this.

Regards
Deb379

Thanks for that deb think i may do that cos shes aving her brows waxed so in that time uit coiuld be developing!!??

Hiya I think the majority of answers to your thread is saying to do carry out this treatment before carrying out a patch test at the recommended span of time before (24-48 hrs).
It seriously is not worth it. A patch test takes a few seconds to apply so this lady is just making silly excuses. Can you not go to her house to do the test? I tend to do that most of the time...
I've had my lash tints since last September too. I used some about 3 weeks ago and it was ok.
Goodluck, think before you act!

ADiva1 said:
Hiya I think the majority of answers to your thread is saying to do carry out this treatment before carrying out a patch test at the recommended span of time before (24-48 hrs).
It seriously is not worth it. A patch test takes a few seconds to apply so this lady is just making silly excuses. Can you not go to her house to do the test? I tend to do that most of the time...
I've had my lash tints since last September too. I used some about 3 weeks ago and it was ok.
Goodluck, think before you act!

Sorry, error in las thread. Should read DO NOT carry out the treatment!

That's OK hun. I actually found myself in that situation last week. The girls at the hairdressers booked someone in without mentioning a patch test, and unfortunately I couldn't get hold of the woman before she came in. When she arrived I explained the situation to her, and she was 4 months pregnant too. I did a patch test in the crook of her elbow and we waited 20 mins, no reaction at all and all was fine in the end.

She told me she had an eyelash tint a year ago, so I told her a test needs to be done in case of different products plus it should be done at least every 6 months as people change (ie medication etc).

Regards
Deb379

Thanks for all advice ive just spoke to my tutor (shouldve done in first place sorry to waste your time) and she said that basically if anyones going to get a bad reaction it will be within the first 15minutes of the test being applied.

Latest posts

Back