Help with ideas for student competitions

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeni Giles

Reaction score
We are having our 4th anniversary "Curl up 4the food bank" for the week, April 3-7 perms will be on special for $20.00 and we will be donating $1.00 for every perm done to our food bank.

I usually do some kind of contest or team based activity to stress the importance of team work and client building. I need help....lots of it, and not just from my geeky friends....to come up with some ideas of things that might motivate the students to work together as a team and have fun.

Here is what I have come up with so far, 6 teams each full time instructor is responsible for a team that was randomly made by drawing names out of a hat...it was actually a tint bowl, but you get the idea. We put the seniors in first drew until we ran out, then the juniors, sophomores and freshmen, we also drew the instructors for each team, luckily the teams came out pretty well balanced with the "slacker" students on teams that have the stronger students.

So I'm going to make bingo cards that they fill in by accomplishing tasks, and instructor will stamp their bingo card when the task is completed and at the end of the day their team Instructor will fill in the blocks on their Team bingo card. This is where I need help, what kinds of tasks do you think I should have on their individual cards. (the cards with in the team will be identical, but the other teams cards wil be slightly different, same tasks different order)

These are the things I have so far:
Appropriate Dress
On time
Attendance
2 chemical services in one day
retail sales
rebooking
retail
helping team mate with services
greeting clients
upselling
referrals
new clients
restocking/tidying retail area

Please if there is something you think would be good to add let me know, I have a week or two to get things together!

I dont fully understand what you are doing but what about if anyone recieves tips from clients, could that go on the cards, encouraging the younger ones to work a little harder and be extra nice to clients ?

I read this earlier but didn't reply as I couldn't think of anything to add... which is a good thing, right? :hug:

That's a good idea Louby!

Cleaning the salon even when busy, not just sweeping up hair....you have to include the dirty jobs too!!!

Cleaning the salon even when busy, not just sweeping up hair....you have to include the dirty jobs too!!!
I did, the least favorite ones... washing out the dirty towel bins, the wall behind the sink in the color area and the wall above the shampoo sinks.

The idea is to get students who normally don't work together, well together. I added a square for greeting all clients, helping others with clients and a few about coming to class prepared.

I'm hoping to inspire them to reach a little higher than they normally do, achieve that and set another goal just a little higher than that. My job is not just to teach them how to do services technically, but how to relate to coworkers, employers and clients. (getting along with each other as coworkers or team mates is sometimes a challenge when working with 80+ students mostly female)

Students have to like coming here, not just because they get a sound education but because it is fun and enjoyable to come. I'm always open for suggestions about making school a pleasant experience!!

Thanks for the suggestions, keep them coming, I am doing a BIG board with duplicate squares school wide, if they can "black it out" I'll buy or fix breakfast one morning instead of giving them their learning assessment (aka. Test)

Thourough consultation and aftercare recomendations. hth's

Latest posts

Back