Help with L&P discolouring please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bev Rose

Reaction score
I did a set of P&W's on my niece 2 weeks ago.
I used Retention+, cnd city of peace and a boogie nights pink in zones 2 &3.
Capped with cnd clear.
I used my UV topcoat as I do on all clients - GF21 UV topcoat (Star Nails)

I never have this problem with any other clients, but she came to see me on Monday eve. & Her nails were a grey/brown colour, she has buffed it with a white block & it has gone away & used a clear top coat to bring back the shine & it has happened again.
When she came I buffed over the lot with a file and re-applied my UV topcoat.
Yesterday, she text me to tell me they are going a mink grey brown gain.
It's mainly on zone 1.
I've gone through everything with her - new clothes, new bed sheets, eating curries, fake tan, makeup etc.
The only thing she uses that I think could be the culprit is a John Freida boosting mousse that it for blondes that tones down the yellow. It's slightly purple/lilac. She uses this every day. I had some, and put it on her nails whilst she sat there after I'd redone them to see if it left a stain, but it didn't.
I've told her to wash her hands straight after application & then again after dry her hair etc. She's a good girl & will do as I've asked as she loves her nails and it's doing my head in as to what on earth could be causing it!
I've even given her some latex gloves to use when applying the mousse!

Has anyone any ideas what may be causing this?

She works as a receptionist and her desk is situated near the windows and she does get the sun on her - but I don't think it's that.

I'm pretty sure it's nothing to do with her actual L&P.

Any help or recommendations would be very useful.

I did a set of P&W's on my niece 2 weeks ago.
I used Retention+, cnd city of peace and a boogie nights pink in zones 2 &3.
Capped with cnd clear.
I used my UV topcoat as I do on all clients - GF21 UV topcoat (Star Nails)

I never have this problem with any other clients, but she came to see me on Monday eve. & Her nails were a grey/brown colour, she has buffed it with a white block & it has gone away & used a clear top coat to bring back the shine & it has happened again.
When she came I buffed over the lot with a file and re-applied my UV topcoat.
Yesterday, she text me to tell me they are going a mink grey brown gain.
It's mainly on zone 1.
I've gone through everything with her - new clothes, new bed sheets, eating curries, fake tan, makeup etc.
The only thing she uses that I think could be the culprit is a John Freida boosting mousse that it for blondes that tones down the yellow. It's slightly purple/lilac. She uses this every day. I had some, and put it on her nails whilst she sat there after I'd redone them to see if it left a stain, but it didn't.
I've told her to wash her hands straight after application & then again after dry her hair etc. She's a good girl & will do as I've asked as she loves her nails and it's doing my head in as to what on earth could be causing it!
I've even given her some latex gloves to use when applying the mousse!

Has anyone any ideas what may be causing this?

She works as a receptionist and her desk is situated near the windows and she does get the sun on her - but I don't think it's that.

I'm pretty sure it's nothing to do with her actual L&P.

Any help or recommendations would be very useful.
If it buffs off thenit is surface staining and not product discolouration (although you certainly seem to be using a variety of different products for what purpose I do not know!!). Maybe she should tell you what she is getting into to treat them so badly.

If it buffs off thenit is surface staining and not product discolouration (although you certainly seem to be using a variety of different products for what purpose I do not know!!). Maybe she should tell you what she is getting into to treat them so badly.

The 'variety' is mainly cnd. The reason is, it gives my clients a choice which they like. With so many other salons around, I do try to offer a variety, which I hope offers me a USP.

The Ezflow boogie nights is a glitter pink (Carnival collection 'French Quarter'), which can be used with any monomer - I use it with my cnd Retention +.

The UV top coat is one I get on with without problems, so have always used it.

I do agree it is something she's doing, she does not 'blame' the products.
Apparently her nails are fine for 2 weeks then start to discolour, which suggests to me it's a build up of whatever she's doing.

She has her appointment every 3 weeks, never any lift problems or anything else.

I just find it frustrates me that I cannot find the answer. If I followed her around all day it may help!:lol:

I've often wished I could sit on my clients' shoulders to see just what they get up to. I suppose she will have to work it out for herself. Only she knows what she is doing. Does the discolouring remove when the UV top coat is removed or does it go deeper?

For the record, whatever EZF say, Creative do NOT recommend using R+ with any other powder other than CND powders which have been designed to work together.

Any monomer and polymer will form some kind of plastic when mixed, but not the optimum mix that is guaranteed when you use compatible systems.

The 'variety' is mainly cnd. The reason is, it gives my clients a choice which they like. With so many other salons around, I do try to offer a variety, which I hope offers me a USP.

The Ezflow boogie nights is a glitter pink (Carnival collection 'French Quarter'), which can be used with any monomer - I use it with my cnd Retention +.

The UV top coat is one I get on with without problems, so have always used it.

I do agree it is something she's doing, she does not 'blame' the products.
Apparently her nails are fine for 2 weeks then start to discolour, which suggests to me it's a build up of whatever she's doing.

She has her appointment every 3 weeks, never any lift problems or anything else.

I just find it frustrates me that I cannot find the answer. If I followed her around all day it may help!:lol:

Fair comment Geeg regarding the EzF & Retention+.

The discolouring is removed somewhat with a scrub (hard) with acetone. I showed her the colour coming off onto the lint free pad. Which showed her it is obviously ON TOP of the products.
But, for speed, I then did remove it all with filing and re-apply anyway.
I'm sure it's not the UV top coat, as it never happens to me or any other client.

I guess you're right - she'll have to work it out for herself.

It's just a pain when they keep texting you and you know you've covered everything & established it's not happening as a result of my products or my work. If that was the case - all my clients would all tell me.

Some people just need you to hold their hand along the way.

Once I had a client who's enhancements turned pink, we found out after much discussion & tooing & frowing that she has a new dressing gown she spends all day in, as she's ill & it's burgundy. She went home, rubbed her nail on it and guess what? Yep, it turned pink!:irked::lol:

does she use hair spray sometimes clients dont wash there hands afterwards if they use there fingers to style there hair, this can leave a stickness on the nails and this can attract all kinds on things on the nails e.g dust ect then the stickness dries and the nail becomes slightly dis coloured on top just a suggestion.

does she use hair spray sometimes clients dont wash there hands afterwards if they use there fingers to style there hair, this can leave a stickness on the nails and this can attract all kinds on things on the nails e.g dust ect then the stickness dries and the nail becomes slightly dis coloured on top just a suggestion.

Hey! Thank you so much for that, I never even thought about hairspray

Thanks Tmouse, that's a gret suggestion xxxxx

Hi Bev,
I had a client with staining and could not for the life of me work it out.. she was a nurse and always left her rebalance 4 -5 weeks.... long story short she made her self a cup of tea at my salon and squeezed the teg bag out with her fingers.... mystery solved.. it was the tanin in the tea .. she bought a tea bag squeezer and problem fixed.. now i just have to get her in 2-3 weekly... now that is a challenge.
Any luck with what you neice is doing?..
Mel

could it be suntan lotion rather than fake tan as ive heard that there are certain ones can do thing like this to false nails.?
hope you figure it out soon as things like this do your head in,lol.xx

Latest posts

Back