Help with led lamps

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aly

Reaction score
Hi if anyone could help me...

I am using Jessica geration with a uv lamp, just to start me off I would now love an led one as 2minutes is a long time to wait!!!& also find the sides of the thumbs don't always cure as lamps just on the top.

Is there any difference in the lamps & which ones to get??
J
The Jessica lamp seems so expensive to ones iv seem online that say they cure all gels.

What is anyone else using???
Any help /advice be much appreciated. Thank you Aly x

Hi

I use CND UV lamp for my Jessica GELeration and i have never had any problems with it. Its a good investment and i think you should invest on lamps to stand the test of the time.

Once I save enough money i will buy Jessica LED lamp so i can have two lamps for each hand!!

Hope this helps.

xxxx

I love my UV Lamp and the two minute cure gives me the time I need to work on the other hand, so for me not a problem.

The thing that has saved me the most time during appointments is that my lamp cures the polish on all five nails at once.

At the moment I'm not tempted to spend the huge cost on LED as an option because of less curing time .... The not having to replace bulbs often is appealing but my services pay for my UV bulbs hundreds of times over, and my lamp tells me when they need replacing.

There are many manufacturers jumping on the LED bandwagon and results do vary I've heard, so be careful in your choice.

The Jessica lamp is some ridiculous price (over £400) It is nice to not have to replace bulbs but at that price it must be cheaper to replace the bulbs that have to spend another £400+ on another lamp.

I don't understand quite why Jessica lamps are twice the price as they said at Excel that they don't last any longer than the others.
It would make sense if they had twice the life span

Remember that only specific gels will workin with led lamps, as they need to have the right inhibiters.
eg Gelish ... I love the speed and can do a set in 30 minutes, 45 including soak off.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

Remember that only specific gels will workin with led lamps, as they need to have the right inhibiters.
eg Gelish ... I love the speed and can do a set in 30 minutes, 45 including soak off.

Interesting, it takes me the same amount of time with my UV Lamp to do a ~Shellac service.

You can only polish in a given amount of time so the LED lamp curing faster is really no advantage to me in the salon. It might be when doing one nail repair but I seldom have to do that and our clients pay for a 15 minute slot anyway for repairs so I am compensated and they feel that is an acceptable time to be in the salon where they often will make a retail purchase at the same time.

Personally I am just not getting it yet with LED. I really do not see the advantage. I would be spending more to buy the lamp (and at the moment the system I use does not require one), and I don't see that having it would make me a penny more ... so why spend the dosh, I ask myself? I'd rather spend the money on Shellac which is making allot more money for the business.

When I had my three nail salons and I wanted to buy something or do something, my husband always used to ask me the same question ... Will it make you any more money if you do 'whateveritwas' I wanted to do?? If it was going to make me more, he said yes to it .. if no, he said no!! Good advice.

The times given above include a full nail prep which (correct me if I'm wrong) some systems don't have, the results being more a gel than a polish which has more flexibility and durability.

I think it is important to compare apples with apples... But as the question was about the lamps. UV cures all gel systems but LED only cures specific gels.

The times given above include a full nail prep which (correct me if I'm wrong) some systems don't have, the results being more a gel than a polish which has more flexibility and durability.

I think it is important to compare apples with apples... But as the question was about the lamps. UV cures all gel systems but LED only cures specific gels.

You are right that Shellac is allot more simple to apply and with no nail prep just removing cuticle from the plate and cleaning it is also faster with far fewer steps ... which is why I love it so much and so do my natural nail clients. No nail buffing, no primer/bonder, no pausing to remove inhibition layers with a dry brush and no buffing prior to removal. and does not 'bulk up' the look of the nails, which again, natural nail clients do not like. Enhancement clients don't care, but they are not my target market.

However the longevity of Shellac and thin colour gel is the same, but with Shellac I would say that it is thinner and more polish like to look at .. another reason the clients love it .. Shellac still offers extra strength and flexibility and durability to the natural nails (I am living proof of that). The uniqueness of Shellac lies in that it is like a gel in those ways ... equally strong and equally long lasting of that there is no doubt ... but Shellac is like polish in the other positive ways such as:

the ease of use during the service, the fast timing (but not too fast) of the service, the gentle treatment of the natural nail (which is why it has attracted so many natural nail clients to it) and the beautiful look of it (like a polish but so much more). Thanks for giving me the chance to explain those points.

Hi if anyone could help me...

I am using Jessica geration with a uv lamp, just to start me off I would now love an led one as 2minutes is a long time to wait!!!& also find the sides of the thumbs don't always cure as lamps just on the top.

Is there any difference in the lamps & which ones to get??
J
The Jessica lamp seems so expensive to ones iv seem online that say they cure all gels.

What is anyone else using???
Any help /advice be much appreciated. Thank you Aly x

I think the Young Nail and the Harmony LED lamps are both much cheaper than the Jessica one. Both are lovely and small and take ups so little room on the desk. Great that you will never have to replace bulbs, these lamps last a lifetimes worth of hours.

I am with Geeg on this one, I use 2 lamps and can do my Shellac manicure in 30 mins and a re-Shellac in 45 mins, I also use Brisa, so one type of Lamp does both for me and still doesn't cost as much as one LED Lamp. If LED ticks all the boxes for you then yes great, but it doesn't for me, not yet anyways....

I think the Young Nail and the Harmony LED lamps are both much cheaper than the Jessica one. Both are lovely and small and take ups so little room on the desk. Great that you will never have to replace bulbs, these lamps last a lifetimes worth of hours.

Thats true, but also known that the mechanics of an LED lamp can break down a few years down the line. So you would have to buy a complete new unit. I still have got my original Brisa Lamp that I purchased in 2004 and it is still fab,LOL yes I have changed the bulbs tho, even now its a back up lamp just in case. So unless the LED Lamp comes with a lifetime warranty I wouldn't be that interested. It's not gonna earn me any extra money, like Gigi mentioned.

JMHO xxxx

Last edited:
Thats true, but also known that the mechanics of an LED lamp can break down a few years down the line. So you would have to buy a complete new unit.

.....ticks all the boxes for you then yes great, but it doesn't for me, not yet anyways....
JMHO xxxx

I didn't think they'd been around long enough to collect that kind of data. Obviously, at the moment, there are no CND products LED compatible, so they are not going to appeal to CND users.

As it happens, there is nothing I can think of that I want to keep for life due to style, technology etc. changes (I include hubby in that :)). The fact that they are much smaller on the desk really appeals to me.

I didn't think they'd been around long enough to collect that kind of data. Obviously, at the moment, there are no CND products LED compatible, so they are not going to appeal to CND users.

Are you suggesting that if CND were to bring an LED lamp out that some people might change their mind? How very cynical:wink2:!!!

I'll answer that one Martin!

Unless using an LED lamp made me more money, then I wouldn't invest in one even if CND were LED compatible. I've made my investment. My Shellac service is a mere 30 minutes with which my clients are more than happy, so why would I?

What is there about using an LED and paying a stupid price for it that would make me more money and really justify that investment? When someone answers me that question ... I'll start getting interested. So far apart from the BS, no one has.

Tell me ... Is your coloured gel service-time less than 30 minutes when using LED and if so, how many extra clients a day are you really seeing even if you have saved even 5 minutes off a normal service with a five finger cure UV lamp at each appointment?

My posts in this thread were all to help the original poster realise that she can save allot of money by sticking to what she is using as the faster cure time isn't going to make much difference to the service time overall. Since then it has turned into a debate re LED vs traditional! Sorry OP. :)
My advise would be to purchase another uv lamp which will save you time, money and be much more comfortable, enjoyable and convenient for your clients.

I can't answer on time savings throughout a day as I don't have an LED lamp. In retrospect I wished I had bought it as I often find myself waiting between layers, especially after applying the top coat, and although a short time I personally find it a bore waiting for the lamp to finish. Whether that translates into actual savings in time or money I couldn't care less; I just 'personally' am not very good at sitting about twiddling my thumbs.

I can't answer on time savings throughout a day as I don't have an LED lamp. In retrospect I wished I had bought it as I often find myself waiting between layers, especially after applying the top coat, and although a short time I personally find it a bore waiting for the lamp to finish. Whether that translates into actual savings in time or money I couldn't care less; I just 'personally' am not very good at sitting about twiddling my thumbs.

I don't twiddle my thumbs, I use that last 2 minutes to tidy up my bottles and store everything away so that I can get right on with final inhibition layer removal and clean up for the next client. There is never time for thumb twiddling. Maybe our salon is completely different from everyone else's in the world but I don't think so. There is always something to do with any extra time.

Are you suggesting that if CND were to bring an LED lamp out that some people might change their mind? How very cynical:wink2:!!!

Lol. I just meant that Ruth mentioned that LED lights didn't tick all the boxes for her personally. The first box you would have to tick would be "Does it cure my product" and of course for CND products that would be a "No" at the moment, so it would not be worth investigating any further. No slur or anything else intended :hug:

The OP, Aly, was talking about Geleration, so for her this box would be ticked. She also mentioned that she is having trouble with curing the product with her current UV lamp, so clearly it is worth looking into all options. Maybe in the end Aly should go for the lamp designed for her product even if it is a more expensive option???

Im not getting the fascination of LED Lamps either. Great selling points of no need to change bulbs, dries in 30 secs and makes your client go WOW but I think it can put too much pressure on a person to perform up to the speed of the lamp, making the service more rushed so they dont feel they're keeping the client waiting. Realistically, who can paint nails in 30 secs flat anyway.

From another angle, isn't the UV emitted from LED bulbs less damaging to your health?
I'm sure I read that somewhere just before I bought my LED light, but unfortunately I can't recall where at the moment. If I find the source, I'll post it.

There is nothing at all harmful about the tiny amount of UV emmitted from a nail lamp as studies by independant sources have shown amply well.

Scare tactics to sell something and untruths do not impress me. The studies are there for all to read. I prefer the facts.

http://www.cnd.com/News-Events/Press-Releases/UV Lamp Release - Update 1.11.pdf

Perhaps you should read the study before words like safer are bandied about.

The bulbs in a nail lamp can hardly be compared to the bulbs in a sun bed, and smoking and it's consequences is completely irrelevent. I don't believe that anyone ever said smoking was SAFE or unsafe ... nothing was really known for years about the consequences to health from smoking. On the contrary, we know allot about UV light as the studies show.

There is nothing unsafe about nail lamps and if there were, I think we would have seen evidence of it in the last 25 years that nail techs have been using them.

Mm, same was said about the use of sun beds, smoking etc.

Regardless, given that it takes 2 mins per cure for most systems in a UV lamp and times that by base coat, 2 layers colour and top coat then you're looking at 8 minutes per hand in a normal UV lamp.

Compared to 10 secs base coat, 30 secs per layer for colour and top coat making 1 minute 40 seconds using an LED system. (Gelish timings)

If like me, you like to change your colours relatively frequently, then you may well reach the same conclusion that using an LED lamp is likely to be safer in the long run.

I guess time will tell.

Not a good nor relevant comparison methinks!

Understanding of exposure to UV radiation in every day life in comparison to exposure to any UV nail lamp is far more relevant. Plus there is massive documented evidence of the dangers of sunbeds and overwhelming evidence of smoking.

UV nail lamps have been in use, without any real understanding or regulation (until recently) for 30+ years and the evidence of any potential dangers is....????

This obsession in UV tubes vs LED's is going down the usual scaremongering route.

Use the lamp that works with your chosen brand in an educated and professional way. If anyone is still panicking about UV exposure then don't use UV systems at all or cover the exposed skin with a high SPF.

Everyone still has the 'yuman right' of choice

Latest posts

Back