Help with nail art, mainly flicking

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chillypops

Reaction score
Hi, I am after some help/advice on nail art, mainly flicking. I know a lot comes with practice, but i just cant seem to get the right brush! ive tried stripers , also tried brushes and using my opi polishes. I just cant get the smooth lines and flicks! also it doesn't go on dark and even ( the colour is to dense ) if i put more on the brush it applies to thick. Would like to have nice fine/thick even and controlled curved lines and i just cant seem to do it right.
Thought i would ask to see what works best for others.

any help or advice would be a huge help
Thank u

It takes practice. For flicks, striper brush is my tool of choice. The best way that works for me is to move the nail in the opposite direction that I'm dragging the brush, and go quick and light with the brush. When I load the brush with paint, I only load the tip and as I drag I'm also slowly lifting the brush off the nail so the initial mark is thick and gradually goes thin. (Imagine doing a check mark off a list). Hope that helps.

Last edited:
It takes practice. For flicks, striper brush is my tool of choice. The best way that works for me is to move the nail in the opposite direction that I'm dragging the brush, and go quick and light with the brush. When I load the brush with paint, I only load the tip and as I drag I'm also slowly lifting the brush off the nail so the initial mark is thick and gradually goes thin. (Imagine doing a check mark off a list). Hope that helps.

Thats sort of how ive been told. I guess i just need to find the right brush for me and practice !

Ive seen some people flicks and there lovely and even and curved... I cant get mine to look anywhere near what im trying to do lol

Thanks for the advice

Have you tried using different lengths of striper brushes? They have long, medium, and short ones. When I first started, I was using the shorter ones, but as I kept on going, I turned to longer and thinner. Also are you using polish or acrylic paints? I found it easier in the beginning to use acrylic paints for nail art as they were more forgiving than polish.

Also the way you're holding your brush as you flick. Anchor your brush hand's pinky on the hand holding the fingertip as if you are about to polish and use your wrist to draw the lines. Just drag like you're plucking hair. x

I used to have the same problem definitely try with acrylic paints and a long thin brush does the trick!
Vicki :) xx

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

Orly nail artist stripers are absolutely excellent.

They are not varnish but paint in a bottle and the brushes are the best I have found. Perhaps try one but I guarantee you won't be disappointed.

Xx

I second that. The orly nail artist stripers are brilliant! colours are lovely, dry quickly and stand out on any polish colour. Really easy to use.
Keep practising, you will get there in the end x

nubar nail art pens are good if you're only starting to do art work. there's a dotter on the top of the lid or a striper brush. great variety of colours too. hth

Practice practice practice. Also try and get it done in one swipe, if you go over it it tends to ruin it x

Have you tried using different lengths of striper brushes? They have long, medium, and short ones. When I first started, I was using the shorter ones, but as I kept on going, I turned to longer and thinner. Also are you using polish or acrylic paints? I found it easier in the beginning to use acrylic paints for nail art as they were more forgiving than polish.

Also the way you're holding your brush as you flick. Anchor your brush hand's pinky on the hand holding the fingertip as if you are about to polish and use your wrist to draw the lines. Just drag like you're plucking hair. x

I do find my self using my little finger to steady me.

I havent tried acrylic pains at all. I use the striper paints and a thin brush with my polish. I will try Thank u

I used to have the same problem definitely try with acrylic paints and a long thin brush does the trick!
Vicki :) xx

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

Acrylic paints, i will give them a go
Thanks

I will also try Orly nail artist stripers,

I do sometimes go over it again ( thats where its gets worse ) i either put to much on the brush or not enough or the paints dead thin.

I will practise and practise and i will take all your advice on and try a few of your ideas out. thanks guys

The bonus with acrylic paints is if it goes wrong you can wipe it of with water and try again without damaging your polish underneath so a real bonus.

Sam Biddle (i got it form her website) also does a Nail Art pen perfect for those that struggle with the striper brush. I got it for Christmas, (had to buy my own and husband wrapped it for me! lol) its basically a caligraphy pen but with a very long nib. I find flicks really easy to do with this becasue it really is just like using a pen!

Orly nail artist stripers are absolutely excellent.

They are not varnish but paint in a bottle and the brushes are the best I have found. Perhaps try one but I guarantee you won't be disappointed.

Xx

are they really better than the polish ones? i have like 20 tubs of acrylic paint that i never used lol but i dont like the polish ones either :[ im also TERRIBLE at painting lol but maybe thats why i excel in 3d?

Latest posts

Back