Help With Salon Hours!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FOUNDATIONS

Reaction score
Hiya All, I need some advise on what you all should think I should do.
This is my dilemma.. It’s a bit long winded so bear with me…
My hubby works 12hr shifts, (7am – 7pm for 2 days and 7pm – 7am the next 2 days then 4 days off) and I have 8yr little girl.
I am a mobile therapist and I have opened a salon inside a gym, last June. My hours in the Gym are 10am-2pm daily and a late night once a week every month, its Thursday every week this month and Tuesdays next every week next month (this is the only way I can do a late nights coz of my hubbys shifts which is why they change from month to month and I have no-one to look after my 8yr old!!) I also do the odd Saturday a month when my hubby is off work. The receptionists at the gym take my appointments for me as I don’t really want my mobile ringing when I’m with a client. So they don’t give out my mobile number. So I have asked the receptionist to take the numbers of clients who ring but cant get in for the time they want, and I ring them back ASAP to arrange a time that suits both of us. But if it is a day when I don’t have any mobile clients in and my hubby if off work, I will be happy to stay and work for longer. I put notices up all over the gym with my hours, late nights and what Saturday’s I’m working for the coming month, just so clients can plan ahead and they know what I’m working. I also have a weekly offer in local paper every month.
But my problem is the receptionists aren’t always taking their numbers and the clients aren’t always leaving them, they are saying they will ring back, but don’t!.
Sooo needless to say my business is suffering because of this, and I feel there is no Continuity in anything I’m doing!!
Does anyone have any suggestions what I can do to get round this, coz I’m doing everything I can think of, and I’m getting soo disheartened.
Thanks
CAZ X

My advise would be give them your mobile number possibly from a new phone and make your own appointments, I guess this is the only way to make sure that it gets dealt with properly. I always keep my phone on silent when I am with a client and turn it on to check messages every time I get in the car, then call people straight back. This way the client is not waiting to hear back for hours or not having the message passed on which could really put people off. You need to make it as simple as possible.

This way if you also have missed calls and no message the phone still stores the number and you can cal the number and say "Hello this is ***** I missed a call from this number were you calling to make an appointment" whereas they may not try to call you again.

Plus you can make a quick decision on whether you can see them there and then or whether you could go to them mobile (if this is allowed).

I once called a gym to make a booking in their salon for a month in advance and they said "sorry we can only take a booking for next week" this said to me that they are unorganised and not busy and therefore probably no good and possibly unreliable. I didn't call back as they had put a barrier in the way of me booking. Remove the barrier, you will be calling them back anyway why not take the message direct from your answerphone as it is probably more reliable than a human! x :hug:

I agree with Weezie. Get yourself another phone for taking work calls if you don't want to use the number you have for home.

It may be that a lot of the customers are just saying ''it doesnt matter then'' when the staff say we can pass on a message.

I know that when I want to make an appointment somewhere I sit down for ten minutes to do my calling and if it sounds like it's going to be a long winded thing on the other end, I don't bother and go elsewhere.

If you have a phone for work you can put a very friendly answer phone message on it that won't put customers off that lets them know that if you're not answering you're just with a client and will call back as soon as you are done.

There will always be those who don't want to leave a message but some will, and as you become more familiar with your regulars, they will have no problems leaving you a message.

Good luck with the new venture.

:hug:

x

I agree!Im mobile and i have my phone on silent when im with clients.I call them back when ive finished and like was said if they havent left a message most mobile phones will log the number for you anyway so at least you have a contact number to call them back.
At least this way it down to you and you dont have to worry about the gym receptionist that dont seem to be helping you that much anyway!

at the end of the day, why hasn't the receptionist got your appointment book, why does she have to take a message? I just don't get it!

If you type up your available times on the computer so it coincides with the hours that you can do, then she just needs to take the appointment for you.

I think that you need to have another look at your situation again. It sounds really complicated to me all this owrking certain days one month and others next month. I really appreciate your situation cos childcare is so expensive, but my favourite quote at the moment is one that Gigi said on another thread "part time hours equals part time clients."

Running your own business is difficult, particularly with children. I think you need to work out if having a salon in a gym, and being mobile, and having an 8 year old daughter and a husband who works odd shifts is a great combination.

Hats off to you for wanting your own career though, there is nothing that annoys me more than women having to put their jobs on hold because they have had children. The husbands should have to do that :lol:

A feminist at heart eh?

x

I'm in a similar situation, I work in school hours, so why don't you do that?

I work Mon - Fri 9.30 - 3pm, then I don't have to worry about my husband's hours.
I also work one night and my in-laws pick my son up from school, so Tuesday I do 9.30 - 8pm.
I also do alternate Saturdays 9.30 -1pm.
I also go back into work on a Thursday 5.30 -7pm as my hub comes in at 5pm.

I divide my time between 2 salons and I also take teaching work in this too.

If you really have no one to pick your 8 year old up from school, then do that and its less of a nightmare.

I'm in a similar situation, I work in school hours, so why don't you do that?

I work Mon - Fri 9.30 - 3pm, then I don't have to worry about my husband's hours.
I also work one night and my in-laws pick my son up from school, so Tuesday I do 9.30 - 8pm.
I also do alternate Saturdays 9.30 -1pm.
I also go back into work on a Thursday 5.30 -7pm as my hub comes in at 5pm.

I divide my time between 2 salons and I also take teaching work in this too.

If you really have no one to pick your 8 year old up from school, then do that and its less of a nightmare.

I think that is a great idea. I think people get into routines with everything, included the day they go to have their nails done. I think it's a good idea to have set days and times so that clients can rely on you.

Hi WEEZIE ,Thanks for that idea, and like you said ill still have their numbers stored in my phone even if they don’t leave a message, and your spot on with your barrier comment., And SKYMARK, I liked your idea about the ‘Friendly message’!
So giving my mobile number seems like the best option so far…
Hi, HIPPY CHICK, The receptionists do have my appointment book, and my hours are written at the top of every page, its only for appointments AFTER 2pm where they have to take massages numbers ferom clients for me to call them back, and I’ve asked them today to give clients my mobile number if they cant agree a time between 10-2, in fact that happened today so I’m staying back tomorrow to do a lady a massage. The hours you suggested sounds like a good idea, It normally works out that I work every other Saturday anyway, its just the late night per month that changes, but at least it’s the same night for that month.
EYEMUNIQUE I don’t want to re-think my business and its not a bad combination, I have juggled 4 jobs in the past and managed quite well! I know what you mean about part- time hours – but that is what this post was about.
The only problem I have is trying to find the best way of getting clients to leave a message/numbers if they are wanting an appointment after 2pm, without giving out my mobile number.
That way I can call them and I will know if I have no mobile clients and the shifts suit that particular day that I can stay in the salon and do them.
And We don’t have any anyone at all who could pick my 8yr old up from school, as we live in different town, and they have their own kids to pick up. So there is only the 2 of us juggling things around like a pair of nutters!!
But thank you all for your advice and ideas.
But if anyone want to chuck their ideas in while im at it im all ears!! Lol
Thanks
CAZ X

sounds good.

I only have my in-laws to help me out, which is once a week.
I have made some good friends and they will take my son home with them if I'm running late or want to take more appointments.

Our children are similar ages, and I am sure you want to enjoy your time with her as much as I do with my son.

With the Easter holls I've booked 2.5 days off, got my in-laws to agree to a 2nd day and signed son up to play scheme at the local sports centre.

Don't know how I will cope with the 7 weeks summer holls. Ahhhhh!:eek:

Ah, I see.

I don't know if this will help, but my sister in law had a similar problem with her kids.

Her and a few of the mum's got together and arranged for them to take it in turns to pick the kids up and take them back to their house so the parent could pick up when it was more convenient. It was handy cos she owns her own business so doesn't finish til 5, but on wednesdays, she finishes at 1pm. It ended up with so many parents taking part that she only had to worry about picking everyone up on a Wednesday.

I guess it only works if there are lots of parents at you childs school in the same situation.

With the phone.... Could you try and encourage your regular clients to contact via e-mail? That way you would only have your clients wanting either an appointment for that day, or new clients contacting you on your phone when you are busy. It may cut down calls more. Plus, it's a good way to send them special offers.

xx

Latest posts

Back