Help with starting out please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

.com

Reaction score
Hello all, was just after some advice for my girlfried and was hoping some of you could help out with that.

She loves the whole nail stuff but she is not qualified to do it. At this time she does do little bits here and there for friends and family.

She hates her job so I feel that she should push for doing this as her new main job as she is really good. (i feel)

any ways were not really sure where to start and what you would really need to do to work for your self in this field of work. I was looking at The Beauty Academy Diploma which looked good as they say you can get insured with it.

I guess the plan would be to run some sort of home/mobile business working for her self.

so if any one has done this can you advice on what the steps are you need to take and what qualifications you need to do it.

would be a really big help. Thank you.

please ask any question you like that can help towards this.

Just starting out myself so can't really give any advice as such, just wanted to say that it's great that you are supporting your gf and trying to get info for her. I think your support will help her immensly if this is the buisness she wants too be in.

Good luck and i hope you get the advice you need :)

You are right in looking for courses which insurers will recognise - look for "beauty guild accredited" courses.

If she has a passion then that's a good step! I don't do nails but I know a few people who have done courses through CND. its not the cheapest option but you know the old saying..... Buy cheap buy twice.

Good luck (lucky girl having a nice supportive man like you!!)

I would recommend looking into a top company for proucts that do training. If your local college does courses, she can enrol there but the NVQ scheme is being quite shaken up at the moment.

Here is a website for you to take a look at for some training and product information.

Nails & Co - EzFlow Nail Course Information

Thank you, I know she will love it once she is in the field just got to get her there.

where not sure about taking the college route as she live in kent but works in north London so time is an issue when it comes to that.

If you are a bit tight for money then maybe see if there is a local Adult education centre near you as that is where i did my ITEC level 2 nail tec.

Sorry just to add it was only 1 day a week

I think Jessica is probably your nearest educator for Ez Flow product range.

Polished Nail Salon & Education Centre

Other top companies with good reputations are CND, Youngs Nails and NSI.

cool, just going to check out that link now and see whats on there.

are there any sort of qualification we should be looking out for? or are they all pretty much the same thing that just says yes i trained and am capable of doing this for you haha

Cnd all the way no questions lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree CND all the way.

been looking at this CND seems a little confusing to me.

looks like there are a lot of courses and cant really tell which one is needed to just do nails so she can just start up official.

Best to start with a natural nail manicure course.
HTH x

If she has no nail experience or qualifications she would need to do either a basics or a foundation course. This will be her platform from which to start and build her experience up from, enabling her to get the all important insurance that is essential for anyone working on the general public even if it is only friends and family she would still require insurance to cover her, then she could add other systems as and when she feels comfortable.
The uk distributors for CND are Sweet squared if she gives them a ring they can advise on the most suitable course available for her.
08452106060. or web www.sweetsquared.com
There are Education ambassadors all over the country as well as academy + so there should be one available near by.
Jen xx

If she has no nail experience or qualifications she would need to do either a basics or a foundation course. This will be her platform from which to start and build her experience up from, enabling her to get the all important insurance that is essential for anyone working on the general public even if it is only friends and family she would still require insurance to cover her, then she could add other systems as and when she feels comfortable.
The uk distributors for CND are Sweet squared if she gives them a ring they can advise on the most suitable course available for her.
08452106060. or web www.sweetsquared.com
There are Education ambassadors all over the country as well as academy + so there should be one available near by.
Jen xx

I just gave here that number thanks, hopefully she will call them and get some info about it. She should understand it more than me lol.

was just looking on the site again, and would assume this would be a starting point

Finger Nails Naturally Manicure & Toe Nails Naturally Pedicure.

am I right in thinking that all these other terms im seeing thrown around like gel and acrylic are there own thing and you would need training in each of them areas as well.

can I also say think you all for your advise it has really been helpful.

I just gave here that number thanks, hopefully she will call them and get some info about it. She should understand it more than me lol.

was just looking on the site again, and would assume this would be a starting point

Finger Nails Naturally Manicure & Toe Nails Naturally Pedicure.

am I right in thinking that all these other terms im seeing thrown around like gel and acrylic are there own thing and you would need training in each of them areas as well.

can I also say think you all for your advise it has really been helpful.

It depends on what she wants to do really, if its the natual nail care route then yes fingers and toes naturally would be a good starting point however the foundation plus spa tacular would also cover this and also L&P enhancement system. She can discuss all of this when she rings.
You are welcome.
Jen

cool. well the ball is in her court now, lets see what comes of it...

I did 2 courses with essential nails (air brush and nail art) the courses were amazing, they provide all the kit that you need to start. it looks expensive at the start but you can pay in instalments. its a home course and you get a diploma at the end of it. do read carefully before selecting home courses though, as I did a stonebridge home course that cost over £300, got a diploma from that 1 but didn't actually do any ones nails, learnt it all threw paper! very annoyed! try looking in to collage as I did a city and guilds course 2 days a week for 7months, could fit around work

Just thought I would give you a little update to how the other half is getting on.

She has been looking at stuff now for her self so she now see that she can do this. I passed on the information that you guys have given me which has been great.

but it looks like she is opting to do this at a college close to her.

What do you guys think is this worth doing and and will there be opportunities once completing?

Course details: Manicure and Pedicure [1MNP] Further and Higher Education Courses @ North West Kent College

Latest posts

Back