Heroin Addict

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sarahjayne82

Reaction score
Morning Geeks,
This is a strange one and I don't know what to do for the best. Yesterday I had a male client in for a Micro which is not unusual, but when he walked in and filled out his client record card it was clear to see that he was out of it. I was a little uncomfortable at first but started the treatment. Thats when he said he was a heroin addict and has been for 15 years, he wasn't threatening and was pleasant but was completely out of it. I told my boss and she just said she thought he looked strange. Once I'd finished the treatment and he'd paid he said he wanted to book again so he did. When I got home I told my BF and he was FUMING saying I shouldn't be treating drug abuses as I am putting myself at risk of HIV or hepatitis! I now don't know what to do should I cancel his appointment and explain because of his lifestyle I cannot no longer treat him?
Sorry its a long one. Xx

Sent from my GT-N7000 using SalonGeek mobile app

Id be more concerned about him stealing from me to he honest x

Please do not be judgmental about this. Are ALL heroin addicts, criminals? Do all heroin addicts have HIV and hepatitis? I wouldnt think so.

He was honest and upfront with you. As long as you are working safely and protecting yourself from any transfer of bodily fluids then is there really a risk issue?

What if he was trying to quit and your treatment was one thing which made him feel better about himself.

Morning Geeks,
This is a strange one and I don't know what to do for the best. Yesterday I had a male client in for a Micro which is not unusual, but when he walked in and filled out his client record card it was clear to see that he was out of it. I was a little uncomfortable at first but started the treatment. Thats when he said he was a heroin addict and has been for 15 years, he wasn't threatening and was pleasant but was completely out of it. I told my boss and she just said she thought he looked strange. Once I'd finished the treatment and he'd paid he said he wanted to book again so he did. When I got home I told my BF and he was FUMING saying I shouldn't be treating drug abuses as I am putting myself at risk of HIV or hepatitis! I now don't know what to do should I cancel his appointment and explain because of his lifestyle I cannot no longer treat him?
Sorry its a long one. Xx

Sent from my GT-N7000 using SalonGeek mobile app

His lifestyle is none of your business really unless he makes it your business by attending for his appointment in a way that impacts on you.

If he didn't tell you about it you would probably have just thought he was a bit odd and that would be that.

If you don't want to treat him that is fine but I think it's a bit unfair to dump him because your boy friend is unhappy about it.

I feel you should carry on as you normally would until he actually gives you a good reason to sack him.

It's up to you though I guess.

xx

We treat many people over the years and there will be some that will have undisclosed conditions like HIV or Hepatitis so this is why it is so important to treat everyone like they may have and be stringent with health and safety the same way for everyone.
I would be concerned that he appeared ' out of it' many long term heroin addicts have to take it or methadone just to appear normal and stop their bodies going into withdrawal.I wouldn't want to do anyone that wasn't in the room.So I do think you have a problem there.Im sure someone with experience of drug users may come on and be able to offer more advice.

I think that no end of people can put you at risk of health conditions, and you'll never know! I used to have an alcoholic come to be, absolutely blasted. I made the decision to treat her. I think it gave her husband a break and helped her to sober up. Maybe I shouldn't have, but I think this guy has been up front, and was together enough to fill forms and talk about his addiction. If you found his manner pleasant and calm, I don't see a problem. A friend of mine held down a full time, high level job, while being addicted to heroin, and no-one knew. It takes all sorts, and only you can decide whether or not to continue treatments. A lot of addicts live relatively normal fulfilling lives, and the implication that he's going to steal from you is a massive generalisation of how we perceive addicts!

Please do not be judgmental about this. Are ALL heroin addicts, criminals?

Youre right, but speaking from experience the vast majority of acquisitive crimes are committed by drug users. By him declaring he was a heroin addict and has been for 15 years, it would be fair to assume he was still using. Let me ask you a question, would you employ a heroin addict before a non drug user?

Youre right, but speaking from experience the vast majority of acquisitive crimes are committed by drug users. By him declaring he was a heroin addict and has been for 15 years, it would be fair to assume he was still using. Let me ask you a question, would you employ a heroin addict before a non drug user?

I don't think your question is relevant to the question from the OP!

This is not the dilemma in question,best to stick to helping the original poster.

I don't think your question is relevant to the question from the OP!

I think it is. I highlighted another potential issue and then got chastised for it. People dont want to answer the question truthfully for obvious reasons. I'll start a new thread with the question then x

I think it is. I highlighted another potential issue and then got chastised for it. People dont want to answer the question truthfully for obvious reasons. I'll start a new thread with the question then x

Its a much broader question.Fact is we do probably treat people who are drug addicts/alcoholics etc.Especially if a therapist works in a spa or busy salon.
I once didnt want to do someone because I thought they had flu.I was then told they were sniffing and snorting and looked terrible because they had been on coke all night.

I don't understand why people are defending illegal behaviour. I worked with substance misusers who were mostly genuinely lovely when they were 'clean' but had committed horrendous crime they were ashamed of under the influence of drugs. When they had liver function tests about90%of the intravenous drug users would have some form of hepatitis. Drug use isn't a disability, it's conduct we don't have to condone. If he is currently an heroin addict I wouldn't treat him, if he's in recovery that's different.

Providing you upheld the strictest hygiene practices and he wasn't in any way contraindicated for the treatment, then I don't see there being any real issue.

That's my opinion anyway. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Its a much broader question.Fact is we do probably treat people who are drug addicts/alcoholics etc.Especially if a therapist works in a spa or busy salon.
I once didnt want to do someone because I thought they had flu.I was then told they were sniffing and snorting and looked terrible because they had been on coke all night.

Yes we do. But there is a massive difference between heroin addicts and people who use cocaine. Heroin is the only physically addictive drug. That is to say they need their fix just to feel normal and do basic functions. Its a terrible drug and my heart goes out to anyone who has been unfortunate to end up this way. Nothing matters to them except their next fix. They will lie to your face and steal from their grans to get money to buy it. Unless absolutely loaded, how do you think they fund their lifestyle. They may do 4 bags of brown & a 2 bags of white a day at a cost of about £10 a bag, depending where they live. Thats £60 a day 7 days a week = £420. They may only do 2 bags a day = £140 a week. Now bear in mind how it affects their everyday life, they prob dont work. Now im not sure how much benefits pay, but i know its not near the above figures. So how do you think they pay?

I don't understand why people are defending illegal behaviour. I worked with substance misusers who were mostly genuinely lovely when they were 'clean' but had committed horrendous crime they were ashamed of under the influence of drugs. When they had liver function tests about90%of the intravenous drug users would have some form of hepatitis. Drug use isn't a disability, it's conduct we don't have to condone. If he is currently an heroin addict I wouldn't treat him, if he's in recovery that's different.

Thanks, at least someone lives in the real world and not the one the Govt. wants you to believe you live in x

To the OP...In hospital we use universal precautions on everybody all of the time, as sometimes you have no idea of the risk of infection. I don't see it any differently in the world of beauty.

The world is full of drug users of every social structure, you would be amazed. It's up to you and your boss on how you 'judge' this person.

You would be shocked to learn that there are many "high functioning addicts" living amongst us. Health care professionals, bankers..stars of glee..

I think it would do some people some good to expand their narrow minded opinions by beginning to understand the nature of addiction.

Google "high functioning heroine addict" and you will get thousands of hits including stories of those living a relatively normal life whist being addicted to heroine.

Not all users have aids and unless you are planning on sharing bodilly fluids with your client you are at no risk.
I honestly thought that the idea that those with HIV posed an immediate threat to everyone they came in to contact with had died out in the 90s but it would appear that no amount of education can open minds which are closed shut through prejudice and assumption.
I have a client who is a high functioning addict, he owns a local business and is very successful. Sometimes he is in recovery and others he is obviously not but he is amazing. His story is the most interesting of all my guests, he leads an amazing life and has met some amazing people.
Open your mind to this gentleman, he may inspire and educate you and im pretty sure he wont be paying you for treatments just to rob you..that would be somewhat pointless

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Its also worth mentioning that I lost a beautiful young client to ecstasy and cocaine addiction and misuse 1998. RiP Julia x

Would you also refuse to treat an alcoholic? Its just that more people commit crime whilst under the influence of alcohol then they do whilst on drugs? Alcoholics often struggle to hold down jobs and resort to theft and mugging to fund their addicting. Difference is Alcohol is a socially acceptable drug but heroine addiction is the last taboo

Would you also refuse to treat an alcoholic? Its just that more people commit crime whilst under the influence of alcohol then they do whilst on drugs? Alcoholics often struggle to hold down jobs and resort to theft and mugging to fund their addicting. Difference is Alcohol is a socially acceptable drug but heroine addiction is the last taboo

What do you base the above on. I think youll find alcoholics do steal, and its generally alcohol. They very rarely mug people. Thetes also a massive difference between an alcoholic/alcohol dependant and under the influence of alcohol. The vast majority of crimes committed whilst under the influence are assaults and criminal damage, not acquisitive crimes. And yes there are functioning addicts in every walk of life. I speak from experience. Open your eyes to whats really happening in the workd and visit a drug intervention program seminar x

Ps and im sure non of us would do a treatment in someone who was p!$$ed anyway xx

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back