Heroin Addict

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What do you base the above on. I think youll find alcoholics do steal, and its generally alcohol. They very rarely mug people. Thetes also a massive difference between an alcoholic/alcohol dependant and under the influence of alcohol. The vast majority of crimes committed whilst under the influence are assaults and criminal damage, not acquisitive crimes. And yes there are functioning addicts in every walk of life. I speak from experience. Open your eyes to whats really happening in the workd and visit a drug intervention program seminar x

Ps and im sure non of us would do a treatment in someone who was p!$$ed anyway xx

I have a family member who is an addict and have worked for AL-ANON so I think you will find my eyes are open. I also fundraise for a children charity which helps the children if alcoholics and drug addicts and am training toward becoming a councillor. So in answer to your question I base my statements on my personal experience. I have seen how aggressive an alcoholic desperate for their next fix can get, first hand, I have the wonky nose and scar on my cheek to prove it.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

What do you base the above on. I think youll find alcoholics do steal, and its generally alcohol. They very rarely mug people. Thetes also a massive difference between an alcoholic/alcohol dependant and under the influence of alcohol. The vast majority of crimes committed whilst under the influence are assaults and criminal damage, not acquisitive crimes. And yes there are functioning addicts in every walk of life. I speak from experience. Open your eyes to whats really happening in the workd and visit a drug intervention program seminar x

Ps and im sure non of us would do a treatment in someone who was p!$$ed anyway xx

You are so argumentative in your posts and get side tracked very easily.

This thread will get closed if it doesn't stay on topic,

The op was interested in hearing people's opinions if she do e the right thing by seeing her client,

Not if all addicts mug and steal for their next fix

The op was interested in hearing people's opinions if she do e the right thing by seeing her client,

Which was the point I was making.

She should continue to treat him if she feels comfortable doing so and he is not acting in a way that disturbd her other clients or makes her feel endangered- but this applies to ALL clients not just those with addiction.
Refusing to treat someone based on the fact that you could catch something, they could steal from you, murder you just because "thats what addicts do" is in my opinion discrimination and I am entitled to my opinion as much as those casting these apsergens are entitled to theirs thank you very much.

Seems that someone cant have an opinion unless its far left. Yea its just me whos argumentative isnt it, right. I merely gave another reason, speaking from experience, why she may not want to seee them, but because its slightly controversial its wrong!!!! Youve obviously never had your car broken into and burgled. I havent for that fact, but ive know 100s who have x

Seems that someone cant have an opinion unless its far left. Yea its just me whos argumentative isnt it, right. I merely gave another reason, speaking from experience, why she may not want to seee them, but because its slightly controversial its wrong!!!! Youve obviously never had your car broken into and burgled. I havent for that fact, but ive know 100s who have x

Youv made your opinion very clear, basically anyone that steals is a drug addict

So do you not get bored teenage boys in your area that break into cars for a laugh?

This is so off topic I'm done coz it would be a shame if another thread gets closed

I think you should try and stay on topic in your posts

I actually thought she had quoted me lol. Healthy debate is good, it shouldnt resort to insults or personal slights and it shouldn't get posts closed.
Both of our opinions are valid because they are just that OUR OPINION which is what the OP was asking for.

I wouldnt treat him. Does that make me judgmental? Possibly! But the fact that you said he seemed out of it would be enough to stop me wanting to treat him again.

Recovering addict is one thing. Addict is very different. I've seen normal pleasant people change dramatically under the effects of drugs and alcohol and i wouldn't happily treat anyone who was obviously under the influence.

Its easy for people to say they would happily treat this man, but i think they would have a similar dilemma to yourself if actually faced with an addict client. Don't feel ashamed if you choose not to treat him.

I wouldnt treat him. Does that make me judgmental? Possibly! But the fact that you said he seemed out of it would be enough to stop me wanting to treat him again.

Recovering addict is one thing. Addict is very different. I've seen normal pleasant people change dramatically under the effects of drugs and alcohol and i wouldn't happily treat anyone who was obviously under the influence.

Its easy for people to say they would happily treat this man, but i think they would have a similar dilemma to yourself if actually faced with an addict client. Don't feel ashamed if you choose not to treat him.

This would be my view too.It would contraindicate someone if they were under the influence while they had a treatment.It would be irresponsible to treat someone who was acting strangely and obviously out of it.You would have no idea why.They may even have overdosed.
In that instance my judgement would be based on their behaviour at that time not whether they may have HIV or steal from me.

Would you also refuse to treat an alcoholic? Its just that more people commit crime whilst under the influence of alcohol then they do whilst on drugs? Alcoholics often struggle to hold down jobs and resort to theft and mugging to fund their addicting. Difference is Alcohol is a socially acceptable drug but heroine addiction is the last taboo

You're right HIV isn't very prevalent amongst intravenous drug users because it doesn't live long outside the body. Hepatitis is highly contagious, a person I worked with caught it even though he didn't have one-to-one contact with substance misusers.

I don't have much experience with alcoholism, I worked in a high security prison with serious offenders. Substance misusers there who only used alcohol definitely seemed in the minority. I guess your numbers include petty crime too?

There were a lot of Crimes I guess you'd describe as 'evil' and having met the people 'clean' I don't think they would have done them without the influence of heroin.

Not all drugs have the same effect on the mind. I didn't hear much about cocaine users but heard stories of sickening things done by cannabis users but most see smoking cannabis as acceptable :S

Ive coloured the hair of ladies what lunch who are what I call "lushes" for years. Always come in after a few to many glasses of Pino at the healthclub lol

Last edited by a moderator:

I wouldn't treat anyone who seemed out of it either. Regardless of the reason being illegal or prescription drugs, I exercise ultimate precaution for all treatments offered but would be more concerned to treat someone who quite possibly is at risk of being unable to make clear decisions or might behave irrationally, I think you have to make a choice based on your own feeling really and also take into consideration the treatment they are seeking, will healing be compromised or are they at higher risk of reaction or infection? in answer to other posts regarding alcoholics, I would not knowingly treat someone but that is because most of my treatments would be contraindicated. Without going into detail I have treated many kinds of clients that would be considered on paper a high risk for hep or HIV but you take each case on an individual basis, for me the biggest concern here would be that they have already behaved erratically and admitted to drug abuse so my advice is if in doubt, do not treat, this isn't a question of being judgemental but rather of using common sense and as the poster above says don't feel ashamed for choosing to not treat. remember it is your choice xxx

I actually thought she had quoted me lol. Healthy debate is good, it shouldnt resort to insults or personal slights and it shouldn't get posts closed.
Both of our opinions are valid because they are just that OUR OPINION which is what the OP was asking for.

Thanks and i agree. All im trying to get across to people on the site is safety, both personal & valuables. The world isnt as rosy as some would have us believe. As a beauty therapist the majority of people you come into contact with will be nice people. BUT there are a lot of nasty people out there and you should be aware that they do exist. Forwarned is forarmed. Nothing like a good debate, it can answer a lot of questions and promote others x

Youv made your opinion very clear, basically anyone that steals is a drug addict

So do you not get bored teenage boys in your area that break into cars for a laugh?

This is so off topic I'm done coz it would be a shame if another thread gets closed

I think you should try and stay on topic in your posts

I didnt say that. I said the majority of acquisitive crime is committed by drug users. Do you really believe that the majotity of theft from cars is committed by bored teenage boys. If thats the case then this country is in deeper doodah than i thought. It prompts the next debate of 'are we born bad' or 'nature or nurture' x

I wouldn't treat anyone who seemed out of it either. Regardless of the reason being illegal or prescription drugs, I exercise ultimate precaution for all treatments offered but would be more concerned to treat someone who quite possibly is at risk of being unable to make clear decisions or might behave irrationally, I think you have to make a choice based on your own feeling really and also take into consideration the treatment they are seeking, will healing be compromised or are they at higher risk of reaction or infection? in answer to other posts regarding alcoholics, I would not knowingly treat someone but that is because most of my treatments would be contraindicated. Without going into detail I have treated many kinds of clients that would be considered on paper a high risk for hep or HIV but you take each case on an individual basis, for me the biggest concern here would be that they have already behaved erratically and admitted to drug abuse so my advice is if in doubt, do not treat, this isn't a question of being judgemental but rather of using common sense and as the poster above says don't feel ashamed for choosing to not treat. remember it is your choice xxx

Agreed, regardless of the type of addiction we are faced with the unknown when a client is under the influence. It's difficult to know how the body will react (obviously depending on the treatment) when someone has taken drugs/alcohol and we should therefore exercise caution. I have refused to treat a client with a severe hangover before because I was worried massage might make her feel unwell. This is about doing what's best for the client. I would ask the client outright if they were under the influence and state that I am only happy to treat if they are sober/whatever for their own well being. To the OP, if ANY client makes you feel uneasy or worried it is your choice not to treat. Don't feel bad about it. And my other half would've reacted the exact same way, it's only because he cares for your safety. :hug:

It's best not too judge him for his addiction, its his life and his choice BUT I would be concerned about treating somebody whilst under the influence as it may invalidate your insurance???
Does anybody know if this affects your insurance or not?

The fact of life is that, whether we choose admit it or not, stereotype! Who do you sit next to on a bus,. Do you sit on the first available seat or do we not like the look of someone also sat on it. We often do it subconsciously. How many if you leave your handbag, purse or other valuables alone in a room with a client or even a new client??? Its all very easy to criticise someone for being honest and knowing what they do both consciously and subconciously. But in reality we all do it, so maybe people shouldnt be so quick to criticise x

Yes we do. But there is a massive difference between heroin addicts and people who use cocaine. Heroin is the only physically addictive drug. That is to say they need their fix just to feel normal and do basic functions. Its a terrible drug and my heart goes out to anyone who has been unfortunate to end up this way. Nothing matters to them except their next fix. They will lie to your face and steal from their grans to get money to buy it. Unless absolutely loaded, how do you think they fund their lifestyle. They may do 4 bags of brown & a 2 bags of white a day at a cost of about £10 a bag, depending where they live. Thats £60 a day 7 days a week = £420. They may only do 2 bags a day = £140 a week. Now bear in mind how it affects their everyday life, they prob dont work. Now im not sure how much benefits pay, but i know its not near the above figures. So how do you think they pay?

How do you know he doesn't work? He could work somewhere and earn a shed load of cash every month and use his hard earned cash on heroin. Not everyone who is on drugs are on benefits.
He didn't have to tell her he was on drugs and if he was that worried about his next fix I doubt he would have spent it on a treatment!
!

Last edited:
How do you know he doesn't work? He could work somewhere and earn a shed load of cash every month and use his hard earned cash on heroin. Not everyone who is on drugs are on benefits.
He didn't have to tell her he was on drugs and if he was that worried about his next fit I doubt he would have spent it on a treatment!
!

And re book!

My godmother was a High court judge and a high functioning alcoholic.... She drank near Gin most of the day and nobody would of known she was under the influence... That is a true alcoholic!
It seems to me this thread is based on judgemental people's first impressions... Dangerous territory

Didnt want to read and run but I just wanted to say, look at the guy from Glee who died from a heroin overdose.
I wouldnt of thought In a million years he would be a substance abuser.
The point is, just because they are trappes in the disease of addiction it doesnt mean they are theives etc..

To the op you should treat this client like any other, use the same high hygiene standards as you would with any other client

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back