Highlights/Lowlights Advice please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lulik80

Reaction score
Hi geeks,

I'm new to the forum, however I've been reading posts for many months before I finally joined :biggrin:

Anyway, I work in a salon 1 day a week and our full time stylist has left to go travelling. Now I'm getting a lot of her clients, which is fine, however, not all of them have a client record which can be a pain. I have this regular client of hers coming next Friday for full head of highlights. Normally I wouldn't have a problem but this girl's highlights/lowlights look awful (but she likes it) and I'm a bit stuck. Her natural base is between 4 and 5. She has about 1/2 inch regrowth, then bleach highlights, brown lowlights probably base 7 and then this mahogany looking lowlights! Does anyone have any suggestions what formulas to use in this instance? I use Loreal colours. She said she wants to tone it down, as it's quite blonde. I'm a bit worried about this mahogany lowlights. Grr:grr: it's so annoying when people don't write down what they did...Thanks geeks

Could you not just match the lowlights to the colour chart and go from there?

Hi thanks for reply-I'll probably do that but she wants to darken down a bit,so should i do 1 bleach foil, 1 base 7 or 8 and 1 with the mahogany? I don't know why im getting so confused :-(
Also for the base 7-8 do i use 20 vol or 30 vol? Thanks x

Sent from my GT-S5830i using SalonGeek

I'm confused lol. :( it's too late for me to read this hehe ! Ill have a look tomorrow !!

Me too ;-) thanks

30vol roots dia colour lengths and ends.

Thanks,any particular colour formulas that would go nice together in this case?x

When I toned mine down and still wanted it warm, I used blue plat with 20 vol, 7 and 7.3 Luo and 6 and 6.34 diarichesse. The 7 and 7.4 Luo was put in between every single packet, like bleach, Luo, dark, Luo, bleach.... You get the jist. That toned me down from being full head bleach, to a nice natural medium blonde, still keeping it warm, but not too warm. You could even use 6.35 if she still wanted the mahogany in there. Hope this helps!

7.3 not 7.4 sorry

Thanks, that sounds good ;) She said her hair takes ages to lift - she is naturally 4-5. Will 20 vol be enough?

Ah yes considering she's a 4/5 probably not, you'd run the risk of it being a bit brassy. It depends how light she wants it, I would use 40vol if she wants the blonde clean and crisp, but you wouldn't need 40 on the ends obviously if that's already her target shade.

Ah yes considering she's a 4/5 probably not, you'd run the risk of it being a bit brassy. It depends how light she wants it, I would use 40vol if she wants the blonde clean and crisp, but you wouldn't need 40 on the ends obviously if that's already her target shade.
40vol are you sure!!!???

If you want to give her a chemical hair cut then go for 40 vol. :)

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Hi geeks,

I'm new to the forum, however I've been reading posts for many months before I finally joined :biggrin:

Anyway, I work in a salon 1 day a week and our full time stylist has left to go travelling. Now I'm getting a lot of her clients, which is fine, however, not all of them have a client record which can be a pain. I have this regular client of hers coming next Friday for full head of highlights. Normally I wouldn't have a problem but this girl's highlights/lowlights look awful (but she likes it) and I'm a bit stuck. Her natural base is between 4 and 5. She has about 1/2 inch regrowth, then bleach highlights, brown lowlights probably base 7 and then this mahogany looking lowlights! Does anyone have any suggestions what formulas to use in this instance? I use Loreal colours. She said she wants to tone it down, as it's quite blonde. I'm a bit worried about this mahogany lowlights. Grr:grr: it's so annoying when people don't write down what they did...Thanks geeks

Why not advise her to come down a bit. Explain that in the long run she will have less regrowth and her hair will be in better condition.
I wouls go for a full head foils alternating platinium plus and 20vol, new inoa high lift U12 and 40 vol and 7.35 inoa with 20 vol. Id then reconmend flooding the rest with a diacolour base 6 with a bit of 4.3 to even out the base and give her highlights a better background to sit against.
20vol max with your bleach as it will be on for a long time. You can get up to 7 shades without having to resort to 40vol

That's great geeks,all very helpful for me :)
We have inoa but not the new high lift tints, what would that be alternative to in Majiblonde? X

hey, do you not have a law of colour chart in your salon ? it depends on the depth of her natural hair then depth of the blonde and the tone of the blonde.....i normally if i wish to tone down blonde highlights would be tempted to use 1/2 8 + 1/2 8.3 or 7.31 in richesse....try not to use permanent as you want to maintain the p.h level of the hair if its already damadged from bleach .... obviously what ever colour you choose DO NOT go go down darker than a base 7 as it will come out khaki looking and richeese takes far to well over blonde/ pre lightened hair. and make sure according how white-yellow/light the blonde is use the law chart in accordance of what look you want to achieve ..... the lighter it is the more gold/copper/mahogany/red you need to include... hope this helps il post the link of the law chart for you :)
http://us.lorealprofessionnel.com/system/files/pdf/DIA Color Chart - 91 Shades.pdf

on another note has anyone used the new loreal ultra blondes in highlights....there gorgeous! i have mine global ub.1 LOVE IT! x

P.S use the richeese with 6 vol over blonde to maintain the p.h level and seal the cuticle. i would urge you not to use lu/majirel etc and the colour can go very wish washy after lightener underneath and on eof the first things loreal teach you is that you ONLY USE PERMANENT TO COVER GREY!!!

so i would use if i was you :) ... 7.34 richeese 6 vol , 8.31 richesse 6 vol with EITHER majiblonde 921s 30 vol or platinium 6 % majimeche 9 % or ub1 30 vol

hope this helps :)

does this makes sense ? msg me if not :)

Last edited:
That's great ickleblondie,thanks! The formulas you suggested for me are they all to be put in foils or is one me them to be flooded in between foils? Also can i put these colours when she has these mahogany lowlights? Sorry i feel like my mind has gone blank. X

yep all foils......id say if there are mahogany lowlights in there and she doesnt like them you could allways gently lift them out....if she does like them just alternate colours as normal....you may have to do a milkshake toner after ...like a 902 if she wants the mahogany out of her hair and you lift it out with platinum etc in packets.....

so example..... likes the mahogany do alternate fine weave up to the parting as normal....

doesnt like the mahogany start to alternate until you come across a section of dark then apply a weave of bleach there....leave on for desired time (45 mins normally to get best level and tone of lift) and tone after if needed in case of yellowing from the previous mahogany :)

maybe even be honest with the client as say the colours really not working for her and that your going to make her blonde look better....she will probably apreciate the honesty....

That's great geeks,all very helpful for me :)
We have inoa but not the new high lift tints, what would that be alternative to in Majiblonde? X

Id go for 900s ;)

Thank you x

Latest posts

Back