Holiday envy? is there such a thing?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Hun,
Have you ever thought or tried enforced holidays? Like the old fashioned "wakes weeks", I know this is still done in some factories, staff know when the annual holidays are, you all go away at the same time.

I think this is a great idea. :) it's a pain being closed, but if you pick the right time you'd be fine. January is always quiet for me cuz people aren't due til after the third week cuz of getting in before Xmas. So if you find it's the same you could easily shut down fir a week or two without much financial loss.

I'm hoping to go Thailand this jan. It's the only time I can forgive myself for having linger than a week off lol. x

I wish I could come cover for you! But I feel bad leaving my clients for my own holidays!!

It is a bit coincidental that they go off sick while you're away. Do you pay them sick pay? Cuz if they don't get paid they're losing out same as the salon is.

I really feel for you, it's hard juggling business and life isn't it. x

They lose a days pay, I lose a day's revenue, which is approx double what they lose.

Listened to the article cringing at my lisp!

I just read on a facebook wall how excited she was that her boss was away, and planning drunken nights out with her friends. I am so angry. How mean and selfish can a person be?

I tried self employed route and that was 10x worse. I think I did a blog on it.

Screen print her wall as evidence. Cuz as soon as/if you mention it she will probs Delete it.

Took a screen shot. They have all admitted that they were guilty of "relaxing too much" Have given two final warnings today.
It has been a difficult and stressful day. Decided to be off sick on their payday, and say "If I'm ill ,I'm ill" and see how they like it!!

Am so very disappointed in them, and their attitude stinks until you tell them it is best that they leave. Soon change their tune then.

book yourself into a dayspa on payday and claim back the relaxation they cost you on holiday!! ;)

I wish I had a boss like you! Our boss frequently buggers off to look after her kids, go shopping etc. She works about 2.5 days a week. We are expected to answer the phone and hang around (not paid - we are all self employed) and this week she's on holiday and we are all picking up the slack. I am 7 months pregnant and run the beauty single handed, pay for all my own stock training etc - i bring in more than the 4 hairdressers by myself! and she moans about being tired. I have a TINY room (can't do a massage) shoved in behind the kitchen so everything can be heard by me and my clients.

I've had to really put my foot down about me taking regular breaks (I work 9am - 8pm thurs and 9-5/6 every other day) and being heavily pregnant obviously get tired.

I of my own accord have re-trained my therapist friend (which cost me money) so she can cover me in my short maternity leave. Im even leaving my equipment for her to use. I get zero appreciation for any of it. If I dare say I'm going home cause I have nothing in all hell breaks loose nearly.

So my point is I've read your posts and you sound like a fantastic boss and id feel honoured to work for you so don't doubt yourself - the right therapist is out there for you :) shame we live in opposite ends of the country eh?! Xx

well I tuned into radio 1 for Dawn as I am a stout radio 2 listener (feel my pain) and you sounded good, well done.

Took a screen shot. They have all admitted that they were guilty of "relaxing too much" Have given two final warnings today.
It has been a difficult and stressful day. Decided to be off sick on their payday, and say "If I'm ill ,I'm ill" and see how they like it!!

Am so very disappointed in them, and their attitude stinks until you tell them it is best that they leave. Soon change their tune then.

Saddened that you responded so negatively to my post. It is a public forum after all and you will alway incounter differing views ( although mine are not so disimiliar).
I am saddened that there are so many unreliable therapists out there that dont seem to give a toss. weather i am being paid £7 or £70 per hr i would still give the same amount of dedication to the job ( never been paid £70 insidently ) but i have found with an awfull lot of employers in the beauty industry that lack real management skill that have a detramental effect on the staff turn over. ( please excuse grammer and spelling damn dislexia).

Saddened that you responded so negatively to my post. It is a public forum after all and you will alway incounter differing views ( although mine are not so disimiliar).
I am saddened that there are so many unreliable therapists out there that dont seem to give a toss. weather i am being paid £7 or £70 per hr i would still give the same amount of dedication to the job ( never been paid £70 insidently ) but i have found with an awfull lot of employers in the beauty industry that lack real management skill that have a detramental effect on the staff turn over. ( please excuse grammer and spelling damn dislexia).

How it read was that it is my own fault that my staff behaved like nasty, lazy little devils the moment my back was turned. Do you think that it is right that staff are "getting back at me" for a percieved wrongdoing by ruining my salon and client base? That it is somehow my fault that they have jobs when I have a whole salon?
As I said, my salon is well run, my staff are well paid, well rested and the only gripe they could throw at me was that THEY fogot to tell me they were running out of a stock item which caused them a problem.

Making comments such as yours on a forum, without knowing me, or my salons is commonly known as trolling. Trying to cause an argument for the sake of it.

The reality is two staff behaved appallingly for no other reason than laziness and greed. Neither thought through the effect it would have, or the trouble it would cause for them.

The reality is that neither of them gave a toss about me as a person, as you did not either. Regardless of being the boss, I am a human being. Abuse is abuse however it is dressed up, and regardless of who it is directed at.

I think this is a perfect place to close this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back