Holiday envy? is there such a thing?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It doesn't matter whether we think we deserve a stress free holiday. The facts are that human nature being what it is there is always going to be someone who thinks you don't.
I take only one break a year and still garners comments like, cor, you're lucky, or, you must be rolling in it.
There's no luck involved, and I'm so not rolling in it, but I shrug it off as ignorance of the facts.
Dawn - time to take a good hard look at the beauty side of your business if, as you say, it gives you nothing but grief.
This is the very reason that I think I just don't have the stomach for employing people.
Re: sick notes. They can self certify if they're off for under 7 days. There's nothing to stop you paying for them to be assessed by a private occ health company though...

Dawn, I have nothing constructive to say however i just really wanted to say how sorry i am that your holiday got ruined. How dare they take that away from you :(

These people obviously don't realise how lucky they are to have jobs when there are so little jobs going! x

Would like to say sorry about your holiday being ruined, thats the only time you expect to get the break you deserve!
The thought of these therapists doing as they please sickens me, there are so many other therapists out there that are looking for jobs and are struggling while these two just think they can walk all over you!
Im a therapist and work for a mother and daughter & i would never dream of doing that especially when you see the book is full, how could they not feel bad about letting all those clients down? Sometimes i get fed up if one of the staff isnt pulling their weight and i need to run round after them but thats what is expected of you when you work for someone, there was no need for the second girl to flap n decide she wasnt going in too. Bin them thats what I say!
Sorry ive not been much help just wanted to sympathise xx

How horrible for you. I've speed read this thread so forgive me if you got the answer before.
Going sick, they need to self cert for the first week. I learned this as a supervisor on National express. First three days, no note needed and no pay given but if it was going to continue then they had to get the self cert from their own doctors reception and date it from the first day they were of until day 7 at that point it's either return to work or get a sick note from the doc.
Yes I did sack someone for not doing that. I didn't sack them for being sick, couldn't do that, but as they didn't provide a self cert when they returned to work I sacked them for being unable to for fill their contractual obligations. In their/my case, drive. It was done in front of the union rep and it was upheld.
Second point. Around here we still have factory fortnight. It's the last 2 weeks of July and it's not just the factories a lot of small businesses follow the same practice of closing for those same 2 weeks, on the grounds that most people are away anyway so business is quiet.
You could always have a chat with your hair girls and see if they would like to do this next year. Just close the doors and relax.
And yes Dawn, I do think it was sparked by if not envy then laziness.
Some people just constantly need to have their butts kicked, left alone and trusted to behave like adults who are actually doing a job they supposedly love they will behave like children.:irked:

One of my dear friends (who I very much look up to) said that It simply proves I need to go away more often. She felt that my staff are too used to me racing around, wiping their noses for them, and that the only way they will shape up is for me to stop doing that. I am sacking one today, the other one will have her probationary period extended.
Am recruiting everywhere I can think of.

Dawn i really feel sorry for you :sad: Staff never have the same passion and commitment to a business as the owners, But for the pair of them to go off sick really takes the P !!!
We are really fortunate with our Staff ,The office manager Sarah actually does a better job than us when we are away, she is worth her weight in gold to us and it is only because of her commitment that we manage to have several holidays each year.
Jobs are so hard to come by these days,they should be gratefull not feigning sickness when your not there, to act like that and ruin your hols is totally out of order. You need down time Dawn one hol in seven years is just not on.
I personally would sack em both, could you possibly get your next BT to go self employed and invoice you at the end of each week instead of going PAYE that way they have no "employment rights" and you dont have the hassle to about tax and NI contributions ??
I know how upsetting this has been for you, but maybe if you actually went away more often and took a more relaxed role Your staff would take some responsibility

I just read on a facebook wall how excited she was that her boss was away, and planning drunken nights out with her friends. I am so angry. How mean and selfish can a person be?

I tried self employed route and that was 10x worse. I think I did a blog on it.

Last edited:
My first, knee jerk reaction when I read about her facebook post was to fire her instantly.
Then I decided that if I were you I would print off the facebook post and quietly confront her with it, asking her what she might do in your situation.
I reckon it could go one of 4 ways:
Screaming and shouting from her, and her quitting.
Blubbing and sniffling, begging forgiveness.
Utter horror at her being found out.
Abject remorse.
If it's one of the first 3 I'd offer to let her fall on her sword.
If it's the last I'd extend her probationary period for as long as is legally possible (employment peeps, can it be for a year? 2? a lifetime?!)

Whilst I'd love the idea of making an expample of her I'm not sure it's the best way.

As an aside I wonder if there's any mileage in kind of mentoring someone with the goal of moulding them into a partner, kind of thing. No idea if this is feasible, possible or even desirable!0

She is leaving today. I refuse to be around anyone that selfish, greedy and unpleasant. People like that poison a salon. I want to spend my life with people who are nice, bright and fun, not be with people who are lazy and full of hatred because of their own shortcomings.

Hi

I really feel for you as holidays are so important when you work so hard and have all the pressure of running a business.

Our business is slighly different (still setting up the salon side of the business), but we have been on holiday a few times in the last couple of years for up to a month and had no problems at all. The staff know that when we return they will have a nice cash bonus as a thank you for looking after everything in our absence. I also have 'spare' staff which can be called upon if anyone is ill - although that has not been necessary so far.

But as I said our operation is different - it is a retail store and internet dispatch - so perhaps I am in for a shock when we set the beauty salon side of thing up.

I do feel so terrible for you. Those staff are so so mean and it must also be hurtful for you.

Try to keep positive....

xx

Maybe as salon owners you may have to ask yourselves WHY do your staff show no loyalty! Having worked in the industry most of my adult life it still amazes me how a lot of salon owners so under value there staff. Realise this might be controversial but feel it might be a small part of the solution !

I think if i was the staff member concerned i'd be printing off some evidence from this post for a potential tribunal. Yep her facebook post was out of order and very stupid, however an employer posting on a public forum about how they are going to sack a member of staff and calling her a sl*g really isnt professional behaviour either.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using SalonGeek

Maybe as salon owners you may have to ask yourselves WHY do your staff show no loyalty! Having worked in the industry most of my adult life it still amazes me how a lot of salon owners so under value there staff. Realise this might be controversial but feel it might be a small part of the solution !

I would assume that you are new to geek or not familiar with Dawn. She is very loyal to her staff, very giving to others especially on here, and as she previously said, she has not taken a holiday for seven years!!! What evidence do you have that she takes the Mick out her staff?! None. I could say more but I'll hold my Tongue.

I think if i was the staff member concerned i'd be printing off some evidence from this post for a potential tribunal. Yep her facebook post was out of order and very stupid, however an employer posting on a public forum about how they are going to sack a member of staff and calling her a sl*g really isnt professional behaviour either.

Jesus, Sonya and dee, did you two sympathise with the rioters too?!

As for the post re staff loyalty...why excuse such dreadful behaviour?!

I think ruining someones holiday and potentially their business is disgusting.

There is nothing unlawful about posting on a forum saying you are going to sack a member of staff. However this member of staff has broken contractual agreement by taking an unauthorised day off to spend it in bed with boyfriend, nursing hangover.

Furthermore, this member of staff has worked for less than twelve months within employment in dawns salon. Therefore she can be dismissed for any reason other than discrimination. So she wouldn't be able to take anyone to a tribunal.

The member of staff in question has been employed only a very short while and therefore has no right to a tribunal.
No names have been mentioned, and actually, I think this person can be apprised of the notion of cause and effect.

Don't take my post so personally guys. Just throwing in another point of view for discussion that's all.

Sorry, i didnt see that the beauty therapist hadnt been employed long enough to launch a tribunal. But just so i'm clear, are you all ok about employers calling their staff slags? Im presuming the asterisk didnt replace the letter U. Nice industry im heading out into!

nice industry im heading out into!

Oh do get over yourself. [/Rollseyes dramatically]

I own a salon and if someone screwed up my holiday and my salon I would be calling them alot worse!

But just so i'm clear, are you all ok about employers calling their staff slags? Im presuming the asterisk didnt replace the letter U. Nice industry im heading out into!

If I behaved unprofessionally, and then had the stupidity to post about it on Facebook then I think I would expect to be hauled over the coals about it. Doesn't matter what the industry is.
People need to realise that there are certain standards required in the working world; this person fell well short of them, and this is the consequence.
Like I said: cause and effect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back