Holiday envy? is there such a thing?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As a wise hairdresser once told me.... 2.5 million unemployed out there. If you don't want a job then fine. There are 2,499,999 people that would gladly take it.

You all seem to be missing my point, im not defending this person! I'd probably feel exactly the same and be angry, upset and want to sack her too. Im questioning whether or not its ok to be so unprofessional publicly, that you resort to name calling.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using SalonGeek

One of my dear friends (who I very much look up to) said that It simply proves I need to go away more often. She felt that my staff are too used to me racing around, wiping their noses for them, and that the only way they will shape up is for me to stop doing that. I am sacking one today, the other one will have her probationary period extended.
Am recruiting everywhere I can think of.

I would have to agree with your friend. As ever it highlights the importance of taking time to find quality, conscientious staff, who can step up of their own accord. Which undoubtedly saves you money in the long run.

Would recommend posting an advert free at SalonJobSeeker.com if you havent already!:D

You all seem to be missing my point, im not defending this person! I'd probably feel exactly the same and be angry, upset and want to sack her too. Im questioning whether or not its ok to be so unprofessional publicly, that you resort to name calling.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using SalonGeek

The thread is not about whether name calling is professional, its about holiday envy.

We are only human...sometimes you need to vent because it can be lonely being the Boss. No names have been mentioned and sharing something that has hurt/upset you does help. Persianista has also praised her other staff who behaved professionally.

When someone behaves badly they must realise there are consequences and as I said we are only human...

Hi Hun,
Have you ever thought or tried enforced holidays? Like the old fashioned "wakes weeks", I know this is still done in some factories, staff know when the annual holidays are, you all go away at the same time.
Down side is salon is shut for the duration of your holidays. But YOU are in control.
If managed well, which I know it would be by you, your clients would see you just before you go away, the 2 weeks prior to hols would be crazy busy, but worth it to holiday without the worry.
Even if it was just the beauty side that closed for the time you go away.
Worth a thought.
I do know a small hair salon local to me that does this, it is the only way she can get a holiday. She has done this since her staff did very similar to you, but it was her Honeymoon.
Sorry your hols were messed up and you were so upset.
Lotsa luv x x x x :hug::hug:

I have to agree with this idea and when we started our business we provisionally pencilled in January for a two week break. Although we never implemented it. As we are a small family owned business I felt it was crucial to our sanity. Christmas is a manic time of year and allows us all to to unwind and January is usually slow for us. I still have this at the back of my mind and will implement this at some stage, maybe not the full two weeks but definately one. You also get some really good holiday bargains in January so can head out to a warmer climate at a fraction of the cost. I would feel very uneasy about leaving my fledgling business in somebody elses hands. I know people can be trusted but there will always be those who really don't give a stuff. I have experienced this in an office environment for years, so it's not just our industry. Everyone has to rally around and manage other peoples workload because some people have no work ethic. This is one reason why sick pay has been withdrawn by a lot of companies and it's such a shame because everyone ends up losing out even when they are genuinely ill.

The other reason I feel for Dawn is her poor clients and the reputation she has built up over the years. These clients may have booked their treatments prior to going on holiday themselves, talk about letting people down. This girl will find it very hard to keep a job down if this is the way she treats her employers.

The money Dawn has lost as a result of this escapade paid salaries and IMO deserves losing her job. If she then decides to write all over her fb page the reasons for not going to work and then being caught out just goes to show her mentality.

Although the idea of the salon closing for 2 weeks has some advantages I still think that the problem may be not having someone who can manage the business when the boss is away. After all there may be unexpected and unforeseen circumstances when this will be necessary, let alone planned holidays.
What happened was potentially damaging and needed on-the-spot handling, but other situations could have been even more challenging and you need someone mature, calm and capable to take charge.
If there is more than 1 salon it can still be 1 person who will co-ordinate and oversee operations.
In the circumstances that occurred he/she could have been the first contact for the hairdressers; they could then just have got on with their jobs.
The situation would then have been crisis-managed, the holiday not disturbed, and the decisions on the therapists' futures left till her return.

Maybe as salon owners you may have to ask yourselves WHY do your staff show no loyalty! Having worked in the industry most of my adult life it still amazes me how a lot of salon owners so under value there staff. Realise this might be controversial but feel it might be a small part of the solution !

Tune into Raidio 1 at 5.45 today to hear them interview me about recruitment. The figures out today show that 1 in 5 under 25 years olds are unemployed. Most of them are in fact unemployable.
You clearly think that above average pay, a commission system, 28 days paid holiday, professional HR, Fixed hours and huge marketing and training support is insufficient to keep my staff happy. The therapist in question has had courses worth over a thousand pounds paid for her, plus full expenses for her to attend them. She was expected to work her normal 40 hours last week, she in fact managed 26 hours, and then complained of stress, which is a bloody joke.

If people don't work, there is no money in the kitty to pay them, it really is that simple.
I trusted my employees to work unsupervised for one week. They breached that trust and behaved appallingly. They took almost no money, and I have had to deal with a day of complaints.

So next time you figure that a salon owner is getting what they deserve, accept that you know diddly squat and keep off my thread please

Well said Dawn. Anyone who is daft enuff to jeopardise such a good position in your salon doesn't deserve to be there. Full stop. Why do some people think they can treat their managers like fools?
U absolutely did the right thing and please don't be put off having another holiday. U need to relax once in a while.
Forget about these silly girls. Get rid and get someone more reliable in. Like u told me, it's ur business and u have to do whats necessary to survive.
I really feel for u that ur holiday was ruined. If I was nearby, I would have jumped in to help!!
Xxx

It's disgusting, you should be able to leave your salon in the hands of your staff.

When I was 18 I was left running a salon and I was by myself apart from 2 days !!! I got no cash bonus nothing I did it because I had too.

Could you maybe next time get the therapist who has been there the longest and make them a manager for a week and ask your hairdressers to report?

Don't stop having holidays your entitled to them xx

I wanted to pos rep you Dawn for your last comments. But I have to 'spread the luv'
Re the poster who wondered if this was the place, yes, this is the place, we are all professionals on this site who come together for advise a cyber shoulder to cry on and even when we rant, the advise given is very helpful to anyone finding themselves in the same position.
So should a would be beauty therapist read what Dawn wrote, I hope it will give pause to the reader and make them think that if they were to behave in a like manner they would have people with in their industry thinking the same of them.
As Lynn said; cause and affect.
Dawn, with terms like yours you make me wish I lived in London. I would give anything to be offered a job with those conditions. Good pay, a bonus system, fixed hours, free training, good holiday and all I have to do is turn up, do my job to the best of my ability and be pleasant?
Sounds like my idea of heaven.
My professional assessment of the girl is, she's a silly tart to let this job get away from her.

dawn i was so gutted that your holiday got ruined coz of in my opinion a pair of utterly lazy ,selfish unoproffesional people ,
as for the sympathisers.. obviously they dont own businesses and have no clue about what goes into running one , i wouldnt ever want to emply staff i have seen it too often its more stress than its worth but i applaud you for doing so and i wish i could have found a boss so giving .. my god i have always paid for courses myself .. never mind had expenses too , maybe you are actually being too generous hun ,
i hope yu find someone that will add to your salon and not constantly take from it xxxx

Oh do get over yourself. [/Rollseyes dramatically]

I own a salon and if someone screwed up my holiday and my salon I would be calling them alot worse!
well done Mrs RSM! you summed it up perfectly!

So next time you figure that a salon owner is getting what they deserve, accept that you know diddly squat and keep off my thread please
too flippin right!

I have Radio One on right now!! Waiting to listen :) x

Lol Dawn, you don't sound how you look but I don't know how I expected you to sound x

from Debbie's HTC Sense

One of my dear friends (who I very much look up to) said that It simply proves I need to go away more often. She felt that my staff are too used to me racing around, wiping their noses for them, and that the only way they will shape up is for me to stop doing that.

I certainly don't know you, but this sounds like a good idea to me. You will certainly find who is loyal and trustworthy, but I imagine you know that by now.

I've read your articles and posts and you appear to be a sound business woman. You just happened upon some sorry employees. Even the best bosses can have an occasional error in judgement. And in today's economy, why would you think someone would be so reckless with their employment with jobs at such a premium?

I'd say take your holiday and a few extra. Get your staff use to your not being there. They'll stop acting like spoiled children with mommy always around. Maybe they'll actually start acting like, say maybe, RESPONSIBLE ADULTS. And you can get on with your life and take your much deserved holidays.:)

I wish I could come cover for you! But I feel bad leaving my clients for my own holidays!!

It is a bit coincidental that they go off sick while you're away. Do you pay them sick pay? Cuz if they don't get paid they're losing out same as the salon is.

I really feel for you, it's hard juggling business and life isn't it. x

You need a break, if you'd have been able to take a holiday more often, you'd be able to roll your eyes and say here we go again I promise you.

:hug:

I'd say take your holiday and a few extra. Get your staff use to your not being there. They'll stop acting like spoiled children with mommy always around. Maybe they'll actually start acting like, say maybe, RESPONSIBLE ADULTS. And you can get on with your life and take your much deserved holidays.:)

Dawn, see, we must be right cause more than one of us says it. You must take more than one week in seven years, it will make you stronger to face the next bunch of challenges. It's really really hard I know but I can assure you, you will reap the rewards for it. You may even find that the member of staff you appoint as boss in your absence relishes the challenge and rises above and beyond it. It sounds as if your staff don't know how lucky they are and you clearly give so much of yourself to them and it makes me cross that they don't appreciate you.

Would love to find a way of listening to your 'appearance' on radio 1 - what show and what time so I can trawl through and find it?

I hope you have a big glass of wine in your hand and a big furry cat to fuss.

xx

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back