Holidays- and dealing with them!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Verve Designs

TAFNO Extensionize
Reaction score
Next month I'm taking the kids away for two weeks for the first time since I started up in business (about 7-ish years ago)- and I'm already getting slightly angsty about it!

I'm working like a fruitcake at the moment (I've not actually had a day off for three weeks now- including weekends).

I can usually deal with a week away, as that seems manageable- but two weeks seems a loooooooooong time. It's totaly paranoia I know, but I always assume the world will come crashing down every time I go away! :)

Firstly- do you even have holidays? (the romance of working for myself and thinking I can swan off and do what I like is well behind me, despite some members of my family assuming being self-employed is akin to having a hobby).

And secondly- do you put a plan in place in advance to cope with them, in terms of readying your clients for being away?

I'm thinking of using MailChimp and Twitter to pre-warn people.

Like you, I also work for myself and my family treat it as a hobby. In 10 years I've never had more than a week away except when I had a baby. I think I allowed myself 2 weeks off. My clients all knew I'd be off (it was alittle obvious!).

I would give them all plenty of warning. I always do when i go off for a week and they really appreciate it. That way they can book in before you go or make other arrangements.

Yes I have holidays, plenty of them in truth, as I'm far too old and cynical to work all the hours god sends anymore. I have two weeks in March, two weeks in September and the odd long weekend in my caravan during the interim months.

I tell my clients when I book it, usually booking the next one the day of return from the last one, which they know is my way of easing myself back into the daily grind :lol:

I work like a dog the week before I go, and I work like a dog the week I get back so the holiday quickly becomes a distant memory, but I need my holidays, all my clients know the routine, and book up in plenty of time to ensure they get 'their' spot before I go and when I get back.

No-one every laid on their death bed and said 'I wish I'd worked more', they did however say I wish I spent more time with those I loved. That's vindication enough for me

Have a fab holiday, relax, enjoy, you'll come back better for it

Cheers :)

I do have holidays- I work flipping hard the rest of the year so I tell myself a I deserve a week of turning myself into a sausage (that is, mostly fat and burning myself to a crisp).

It's just that I've never done two weeks continuously before...and two weeks is a long time in business as a self-employed person!

Cheers :)

I do have holidays- I work flipping hard the rest of the year so I tell myself a I deserve a week of turning myself into a sausage (that is, mostly fat and burning myself to a crisp).

It's just that I've never done two weeks continuously before...and two weeks is a long time in business as a self-employed person!

Just make sure your clients know well in advance and get them booked in before and after you get back!

Im also taking 2 weeks holiday and I've managed to get everyone to book in before I leave and after I return.

Try to enjoy your holiday and don't panic about your client base deserting you! In my experience clients vastly prefer to return to and wait for their therapist who they know and trust and who does their treatments the way they like them!

Everyone needs a break sometimes.
PB
x

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

Last edited:
I have only taken 1 week and usually ended up doing some appointments if I'm at home.
I am taking a month off when I get married! I'm scared! Lol!
I will text and Facebook to pre warn my clients and I have 2 other beauty places to recommend when I'm away.

Next month I'm taking the kids away for two weeks for the first time since I started up in business (about 7-ish years ago)- and I'm already getting slightly angsty about it!

I'm working like a fruitcake at the moment (I've not actually had a day off for three weeks now- including weekends).

I can usually deal with a week away, as that seems manageable- but two weeks seems a loooooooooong time. It's totaly paranoia I know, but I always assume the world will come crashing down every time I go away! :)

Firstly- do you even have holidays? (the romance of working for myself and thinking I can swan off and do what I like is well behind me, despite some members of my family assuming being self-employed is akin to having a hobby).

And secondly- do you put a plan in place in advance to cope with them, in terms of readying your clients for being away?

I'm thinking of using MailChimp and Twitter to pre-warn people.

I know where your coming from. I havent had holiday since 2007.... but i have booked a week off only at home which will be nice but i always have to write false client names in my app book if i take a day off. The clients always want that day lol so now i have to put in a few white lies just to get time off bless them lol

Sent from my GT-I9001 using SalonGeek

I have been self employed for 15 months and have been away 4 times. Twice to centre Parcs for 5 days and once to Benidorm for 5 days for my sisters hen do the to jersey for a week camping last August. But all of those times I was in business with my sister and she was there to over see everything, she has since left my business. I am going to France at the end of this month for 5 days and also to Cornwall camping for a week in August. I am 100% confident leaving my staff, and I am always at the end of the phone. I always check in at least twice a day via text when I'm away, I couldn't survive otherwise.

I also find that my family think I can just do what I want when I want - apparently running your own business means you can - err no it doesn't!

Enjoy your holiday I'm sure all your customers will be here when you return. Will you be bale to reply to emails when your away? Or have a auto reply thingy to people who email you else your away? Otherwise people may think your ignoring them x

I have about 6 weeks off a year!! 1 or 2 weeks at a time :) I tell my customers in advance and off I toddle for a well earned break. Work is always there when I get back and the world doesn't end so enjoy your break and RELAX ;)

I get scared taking the day off let alone a week. Two weeks it better be worth it!

Hey at the end of the day you're entitled to a break, thats why we became self employed to work on our terms, be it not the case!

Pre warning is a good idea and i tend to to that when i go away. So to prepare yourself to some people that think that you are at their beck and call prior to leaving and maybe during you're away. Hopefully nothing will go wrong, enjoy you're lucky two weeks and try and switch off if you can! xoxo

It's difficult but the world WILL survive!

The longest I have taken off is 18 days last year for my wedding and honeymoon. As long as you warn all your regulars well in advance, make sure you give them priority before and after you go away with appointments.

This year we are off to Cyprus for a week in September and also do Route 66 so will be away from 26/10 to 19/11! (I always seem to be quiet in November, everyone gearing up for Christmas) and I am already telling people.

You need a holiday, clients get them! But it is the curse of the self employed that it is difficult to get away. With the internet you are never far away if someone needs to make an appointment if you can't help yourself!

You can do an auto response from your emails, advise people on your website/Facebook page etc. Slightly easier for me as I am home based, found it a lot more complicated when I was salon based.

Enjoy your holiday - you deserve it!!

Latest posts

Back