Holidays!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanielleCaprice

Reaction score
Hello everyone I'm just wondering if anyone has been to New York? Me & my fiancé are looking at going this time next year... Ii really wana go shopping & do the horse & carriage ride threw Central Park, anyone who can give me as much info as poss would be fab as this is my 2nd holiday abroad & don't have a clue where to start thanks in advance xx

Iv been and its fantastic. Loads of places around central park to get a carriage ride, we rented bikes fro 2 hours and just cycled around. You must visit times square, top of the rock, and do boat cruise past the statue of liberty. The city is awesome just to walk around, so much to see and do, everythigs so captivating. See a show on broadway too if you can :) ice skating too! Oh theres so much to do.... I only had 2 nights there but it was amazing. Enjoy! X

I've been a couple of times and it's a great place. This time of year would be amazing too!

The Grey Line buses are good value if you want to sight see and get some info on the city. It takes you all round the city and you can get the ferry over to Liberty Island which is worth a look.

Both times I went, it was zero visibility, so I've never been up the empire state building. One day I'll get up there! :)

I wouldn't do a carriage ride but that's just me. Not only is it boring but I've heard that the horses don't have a very nice life and it can be dangerous for them. (I did one before I knew about it and it definitely wasn't worth $50, would've preferred to walk!)

If you're into museums, those are good to have a walk around as well.

I did 5 nights including Black Friday. Great idea if you want shopping. Maceys is fab! Get a sightseeing bus ticket (hop on/off) and do the uptown and downtown tours. This includes Staten Island ferry ticket. Do Broadway and Times Square. Madison Square garden too is great, we did basketball game - so American! The Central Park carriages are not like you see on the movies though. No sleigh bells etc so didn't do that. Loved it all it was fabulous!

I love the place. The best thing to do is study a map before you go. I know that sounds a bit boring but it will help you get the most out of what area you are in. If your downtown you can do ground zero, Brooklyn bridge etc... If you don't you will find yourself going up and down manhattan constantly. Use the subway. It's easy to figure out and always someone to help and make sure your on right track. It's the quickest way around. I could shop till I drop but with the hubby I did a bit more sightseeing and he really enjoyed the army ship Intrepid, it has all the aircrafts on it and a lot of 9/11 items and info. If you want to go further out for shopping I prefer Jersey Gardens but I know many would say Woodbury Common. It might depend n what you are looking for. Jersey gardens is closer by bus. Make sure to go to customer services desk with your passport or drivers licence and they give you a voucher booklet which help with the bargains. Ask me anything you like I've been 5-6 times now and never get bored with it

oh yeah speaking of discounts. If you're in Macy's go to customer services with your passport and they'll give you a discount booklet that you can use anywhere in the store! :)

Aww Xmas time in New York would be amazing!
I'm hoping to go next Autumn and have just bought myself some guide books which I have been studying to get more of an idea where I'm going and where a lot of attractions are.
Does anybody have any tips about getting good deals on a New York trip?

Thank you all, I'm so excited to book it, my main one is shopping :) I'm just worried about buying buying buying & not being able to get it home... How do u manage with buying things? In not really sure where to start with sightseeing lol as I love shopping, I'd like to go see a show too! It's guna cost a bomb I can see it lol xx

The best deals I've got have been with ebookers when booking flights and hotel together. Just be careful what airport your flying I to and what times. Sometimes the saving isn't worth it. I found la guardia too far out. JFK or the one in Jersey is best to fly Into. They will all have a set fee for taxis which will be plus tax, tips and tolls. Everything is tips. Ask your bank to give you 20 dollars in ones to get you started. I have been for 3 Xmas's leaving Xmas eve. I love it. We get up Xmas morning and ramble to Central Park. We were lucky to get snow each time. Everyone goes there. Families, couples, kids, pets the lot! You can go ice skating. There will even be some shops open Xmas day as some are owned by Jewish and other nationalities that celebrate different religions. And plenty of restaurants open so don't worry about missing out on your Xmas dinner. Have an early night and get the first bus out to Jersey gardens for the sales. There is a huge bus depot I just can't think of the name of it now it's just off Broadway 44th at I think but Doyle check that. Get a return ticket for about 15 dollars. It will leave you right at the door of the Cust services desk you will get your coupons booklet and it's the same stop it will collect you at. Good idea to bring a case or big hold all to bung everything into as the bus can be very busy coming home. It's the best day and you can still use the coupons. A little tip is to get a trolley. I think they are 5 dollars and you get back 2 when you bing it back. It will save your arms and they are like golddust come 12 o clock when the locals start to arrive its crazy so you should have got some of your shopping done by then great if you like Guess, Juicy, Gap, etc.... Uggs will be the same price no matter where you go with the exception of the odd style they have on sale. Sketchers do buy one pair get other pair half price all the time.

I always worry coming through customs. Take the tags off everything. Wear what you can while your over there so it gets smell of perfume/deod. It's mainly electronics they will want to know about but I was stopped once and asked how much I spent and I kept saying it was hard to say. She let me off with a caution and didn't open the bags. If she did I was screwed! Don't have all your receipts with you. If you need to keep any receipts for warranties post them home to yourself. Kids stuff is vat free so don't worry about them. Take very very little with you. I find Leggings and tops the best and take the least space and stick a case in a case going so you have one extra coming home or there is loads if places that sell cheap sports bags

I could keep waffling lol! I just love the place. You will find you can do shopping in between sightseeing as there is places like century 21 by ground zero. I don't find it good but have heard others get amazing designer bargains in it. Chinatown isn't what you would
Imagine and I have found The bags and stuff isn't as good quality as it was when I started to go and they are very reluctant to put a brand name badge on them now. But it is an experience in itself to walk Down canal street. You will be asked To flow them for bags. We did a few Times but don't bother unless you really want a decent bag. They are safe enough once your with someone. Me and the hubby have had a good laugh with some of them haggling. At the end of canal st you can join up with broadway which has some pretty cool
Shops and it's a bit calmer and chilled than midtown. Ask away if anything in particular you need to know

Oh I've just thought you got to go to Byrant Park. It's where NY fashion shows take place but in winter they have the ice rink and all little hut kind of stalls selling lots of gorgeous xmassy bits. I just thought of it cause I'm taking out some decs that I bought there. Best to go in the evening when it's dark cause the lights and atmosphere is lovely

Oh I've just thought you got to go to Byrant Park. It's where NY fashion shows take place but in winter they have the ice rink and all little hut kind of stalls selling lots of gorgeous xmassy bits. I just thought of it cause I'm taking out some decs that I bought there. Best to go in the evening when it's dark cause the lights and atmosphere is lovely

Bryant park is lovely!

Take some warm clothes it's freezing this time of year but it's the wind chill that gets you. Empire State building a must especially at night with the lights, but again prepare for the cold if you venture onto the veranda, it seriously can knock the breath out of you!! Delaney Street is where you'll get the bargains,leather-wear etc, you can barter with the tradesmen, they love it especially being from the UK. We went before the Twin Towers went down so can't really say anything about Ground Zero , but seeing it on tv looks amazing and its supposed to "feel" amazing as well. Wall Street is a must, you can go in the trading places and tour round!!!! Hope you have a fab time x

Last time I went, my friend went out with one half full case and came back with 3 rammed ones haha. I had to pretend one was mine as we were allowed a max of 2 each then.

Sent from my GT-P3110 using SalonGeek mobile app

Shopping is my main worry... Can anyone tell me the KG limit for us? I thought about taking 2 cases half full & then on the way home ram it all in 1 then keep the other for our shopping hmm ii am getting rather worried xx

Just got back from New York and it was my first time visiting and it was amazing!! I can pretty much back up what everyone has mentioned!
You can look at my Instagram page if you want to look at a couple of pics :)
@stephaniestherapies

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I went in April time and loved every second! Take as much money as possible I spent loads and was fortunate enough to do everything!! We saw mamma Mia on Broadway which was amazing! If you can afford to do the helicopter ride, that was the best experience for me! Would love to go back one day!

Shopping is my main worry... Can anyone tell me the KG limit for us? I thought about taking 2 cases half full & then on the way home ram it all in 1 then keep the other for our shopping hmm ii am getting rather worried xx

And in regards to this , we didn't take much with us and took an empty case and managed to fill the lot on the way home! Take minimal clothes etc

Stephanie I'm following uu on Instagram, photos I'm seeing of people who have been etc are making me even more determined... How much money is recommended..? & I've heard about this tip business looks like uu have to tip for everything lol xx

Stephanie I'm following uu on Instagram, photos I'm seeing of people who have been etc are making me even more determined... How much money is recommended..? & I've heard about this tip business looks like uu have to tip for everything lol xx

I'm following you back! :) regarding tips the norm is 20% of your bill!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back