holistic degree versus holistic diplomas

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hippy-chick

Reaction score
just on a ponder here.

I have a client who has just passed her holistic degree after 2 years. she's been coming to me for treatments for about 2 months now and has told me from the start that she was about to finish her degree.

She has pumped me for information, asked my opinion, advice, etc, and I am happy to oblige.

But...

at the end of 2 years of an holistic degree, she has learnt aromatherapy and acupressure. She has been told to set up her clinic and charge from £45 per hour.

She has NO confidence, she has no idea of how to start her own business, she has no experience apart from her case studies in college.

Now, she has paid a fair bit to do this degree, and although passed it, is going on to do a 3rd year.

What I am wondering, and its a thought that I conveyed to her, is would a customer prefer to go to a therapist that holds a holistic degree without any experience, or someone, like myself, who has gone to college for 3 years in a row to do diplomas. Is there snobbery attached, how is she going to advertise the fact that she has a degree? I dont advertise my certificates at all, and not one person has asked me for proof.

bit confuzzled.

I'm not looking her as a threat to my business, I am actually looking at her with a tiny bit of pity as she hasn't been instilled with ANY business sense apart from repeatedly being told that she can charge from £45 per hour.

A colleague of mine who has similar background to me, is on the first year of this degree course, and she says that their is no way that anyone from this course could set up as a fully rounded therapist. Its more about writing studies and collating data and information. Thats fine with her as she wants the degree for degree sake, and enjoys reading 'white papers' with research and data in.

Would love to hear some positive comments about the degree course, I have always hankered after a degree, but I also think "whats the point"?

It just goes to show that having a degree does not mean having some common sense.

In this field,wether it be beauty nail or holistic and natural therapies,a degree is not everything....this is like nursing,it is more of a "vocation".

Yes,the theory is equally as important....but why hanker for a degree Ann?

Learning new skills,mentoring from each other,that is what can make you aspire and yearn for more surely....a piece of paper means nothing if you can not put the hands on approach and empathy for people,together with business skills and common sense and guts and determination!

I have done a lot of research into this as I was going to do the degree this september. I spent a lot of time talking to tutors at my college were Ive done just about all the level 2 & 3 Beauty and holistic courses. In the end I decided that whilst the degree might satisfy my thirst for deeper knowledge of my subject, it could not increase my earning power to do the same treatments.Basically, you are either good at Beauty or your not.

The degrees I looked at were mainly research and Beauty Business Management with some practical skills at level 4/5. The third year is Management only . Apparently these new degrees were set up to cover a gap in the skills market. Good level 3 therapists would strive for their own business after a number of years in industry but had no high level business skills to ensure their business survived. As a result many were not succesful-hence the degrees.
One point to be aware of was that during interview at one Uni I was told that it will become law that you cannot receive a medical referral as a therapist unless youre level4/5 trained.
I looked at all the degrees in the Beauty Industry and in the end decided on a further NVQ level 3 in Beauty Therapy, this time the nail route. I believe to boost my earning power this is the best step for me. Nails are my passion and I need to be the best I can be to enjoy my vocation and earn good money at the same time.

thanks for your replies.

I am just a bit bemused by the fact of WHY? Why would people get a degree in something that really only amounts to the fact that they can digest a lot of theory?

Gabi, I did enrol on a degree about 10 years ago but pulled out after a term because I was pregnant and couldn't cope. It was in English (loved my English language and English lit). got my first 'A' in homework!

I've just had a look on the college's website, and this woman has paid £2700 per year to do a 2 year degree. She thinks she is doing the best for a future in a complementary therapy business, as she is presently in a very well paid job, so thinks she can just move over and get the same wage.

Is this "degree" really a degree? I didn't think there are 2 year degree courses. I thought degree courses took 3 years (or more depending on the degree). Also, why are you having to pay for this course? Maybe it is different in England, but here you don't pay for degree courses. Who is awarding the degree? Which university is ratifying it? I'd really look into it well if I was considering it.

Sorry, I dont want to sound stupid, but this thread caught my eye, I was just being a bit nosey, but could someone give me a definition for degree and diploma?

As far as I am aware a degree is awarded by a university. You can take a degree at a college too, but the course will have been ratified (i.e. approved for the content/level, etc) by the awarding university, whose name will be on your parchment.

I have no idea about diplomas. I would guess that if it is part of a nationally recognised scheme, it will be meeting that level of learning. I have seen "diplomas" though, which were given after a short period. Obviously these cannot be of the same level.

Hello Hippy Chick
Don't worry, she will get there, if she did the degree because she was passionate about it, she will be fine. Everybody feels nervous and under confident when they first finish study and have to go out there and perform.
There is a good saying I have: Do it, even if you do it afraid, it is the only way to learn.

The new courses in beauty and holistics are foundation degrees which take 2 years. You then top up to a full Bsc if you do a final year which tends to be management based. These awards can be done at a college undersigned by a university with the final year tending to be based at the uni itself. They are at level 4/5 as opposed to the usual college level 2 and 3 awards.

Thanks for the info Alibarr

The way I see it is knowledge is power. Having an in-depth knowledge on your subject will be beneficial to the therapist and the client. You have built up your knowledge Ann over many years of working in the industry, and further study.

Granted this lady has no confidence at the moment but in 5 years time, she may be extremely confident have had clients and gained plenty of experience with the different therapies she is studying.

I feel a degree would make me feel the person has had the drive and commitment to succeed.

I did a fair few of fast track courses for beauty in the beginning then went onto do the whole lot again at college and granted the practical side of things were not that hot.. I was totally more experienced and confident in just 2 years than the tutor was in the class room, but the theory was very helpful and it seemed to bring it all together and a richer understanding of the body and how one system may affect another system has given me much more confidence now when talking to client and trying to advice them.

[What I am wondering, and its a thought that I conveyed to her, is would a customer prefer to go to a therapist that holds a holistic degree without any experience, or someone, like myself, who has gone to college for 3 years in a row to do diplomas. Is there snobbery attached, how is she going to advertise the fact that she has a degree? I dont advertise my certificates at all, and not one person has asked me for proof.]

So to your question... I would say that once this lady has had experience in the industry and built up her skill level ..... she would be a desirable if someone was looking out for an holistic therapist in the YP. Someone such as yourself with years of experience and qualifications would be just as desirable in my mind, but if you put two people together, one fresh out of adult edu and one out of college, both with little experience apart from their case study I am sure I would plump for the college one as I would feel they would be more 'knowledgable'. I may have made the totally wrong choice when I met the person I chose... as a lot of finding a therapist you like it hit and miss and it can take you a long while to find someone you feel totally relaxed and confident with. Do you see where I am coming from?

The new courses in beauty and holistics are foundation degrees which take 2 years. You then top up to a full Bsc if you do a final year which tends to be management based. These awards can be done at a college undersigned by a university with the final year tending to be based at the uni itself. They are at level 4/5 as opposed to the usual college level 2 and 3 awards.

yes that is it - perfect answer thanks.

Latest posts

Back