Home gas and electric prices?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would double check u don't owe them a fortune! Yrs ago they left us for nearly a yr thinking our payments were covering usage hell no owed them nearly 1k

I don't owe them anything, in fact we got a refund from the old supplier when we changed! I enter a meter reading online every month so I can see exactly where we are up to so that we don't end up in debit or credit by too much.

That's great I'm going to look into them thanks

I really think that this industry needs to be regulated more. The amount you pay for gas and electricity should not depend on where you live or which company you are with. This amount of companies should never have been allowed. There should be one standard rate for all.

Thanks everyone I will check them all out over the weekend, I will let u all know what I come up with :)

4 double bedded detached house = nearly £300 pm! There is generally 3 or 4 living here, but I do have a pool, so in the summer the electric bills soar due to pool pump - I don't even dare to put pool heater on tho coz of gas bills lol.

A word of warning to those that are thinking of moving house, if you go from a nice warm terraced house to a detached house (like I did), your bills will ROCKET!

As an aside, we unfortunately, don't have any shower facilities at present (long story), so it's all baths! We do try to "share" as much as possible (without that sounding too minging).

Am looking at moving soon, as most of my wages go on house bills, and I end up not having enough money for a social life! Gotta downsize asap, just to get out more!

I really think that this industry needs to be regulated more. The amount you pay for gas and electricity should not depend on where you live or which company you are with. This amount of companies should never have been allowed. There should be one standard rate for all.

In perth, australia there is only one and no competition. So no chance to change when they do a big hike with the price!!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

4 double bedded detached house = nearly £300 pm! There is generally 3 or 4 living here, but I do have a pool, so in the summer the electric bills soar due to pool pump - I don't even dare to put pool heater on tho coz of gas bills lol.

A word of warning to those that are thinking of moving house, if you go from a nice warm terraced house to a detached house (like I did), your bills will ROCKET!

As an aside, we unfortunately, don't have any shower facilities at present (long story), so it's all baths! We do try to "share" as much as possible (without that sounding too minging).

Am looking at moving soon, as most of my wages go on house bills, and I end up not having enough money for a social life! Gotta downsize asap, just to get out more!

I also did last year and after getting our bill of £850 (quarterly) I rang and genuinely thought my meter was faulty !!
His answer was pretty much if you can afford to live in a detached house blah blah blah....(southern electric)
As well as also now being in the top bracket for council tax cost of living is just getting a joke xx

Ours is a 3 bed (more like a 2 though!) and have 2 kids under 3 and pay around £80 a month for both with british gas. Im an end terrace and about to move into a mid terrace but that will be paymenr via key/card x

In perth, australia there is only one and no competition. So no chance to change when they do a big hike with the price!!

Unfortunately competition amongst energy providers in the UK is not really working - people (including myself) are often reluctant to switch.

Oh, and this might be helpful for anyone in arrears

British Gas Energy Trust - Home

Definitely go to a price comparison website and make sure you have your last annual statement with you so you can enter details of your usage which will allow the site to locate best deals for you. The Which? one is good as it also says how existing customers rate the service of the companies that are offering better details. Plus you can sometimes switch through the website. We've just done this so hope it works!

It's more objective than ringing the companies as they will just give you their best deal & not their competitors! Also, if you can do it, it's cheaper to pay on monthly direct debit - think you get a discount or are charged less for doing this.

Hth.

I can't believe everyone pays so much! Mine is around £40 a month! I switched with M&S as you get lots of vouchers but i think it is done through Southern Electric. It's worth it for the extra vouchers for food shopping.

Andrea85, not wanting to pry too much into personal details but what size property and how many people is this for?

I came away from Southern Electric and saved ££s a month, but it's difficult to compare properly unless we know the size of "dwelling" as they say x

Im with southern electric and i pay £100 amonth for just me and my 4 year old, we live in a mid terrace 2 bed house.

Sent from my GT-I8160 using SalonGeek

I'm with Eon. I have just changed to a cheaper rate with them. You can do it yourself online on their website. I was paying £112 per month and now will be paying £93 per month. I'm in a 3 bed semi but it has huge window which if you stand anywhere near them you can feel the cold off them. Actually my last house a big 4 bed detached was cheaper to heat as it had thermostats etc everywhere. This one doesn't. That's how you save money. Use thermostats.

Thanks that's very helpful, size wise my house is about the same as yours there's 2 adults an a toddler living here, however I don't have the outdoor lighting but do use a dryer which is on 50% of the week , I try an switch sockets off as much as possible (slight OCD) I've had a few recommendations from friends for other companies so I'm just gonna ring around over the weekend an see where I can save a few quid! By the way why would you need 12 cordless phones lol :)

I don't like having to move to answer a phone. There's 3 in the living room, one by each sofa and one by the tv, 2 in the kitchens one each side, one in the hall. Three in my bedroom, one each side of the bed and the third next to the dressing table, one in my mums room and one in the office (can't wait but my mums friend is giving me a lay down sun bed, so will be the tanning room), and one on the landing. I want to find a waterproof phone that can go in the bathroom at a decent price (like you get in posh hotels). I'd personally have more, but its confusing enough keeping each phone on the charger it's meant to be on, really winds me up livingroom3 next to the sofa I sit on when it should be by the tv, or kitchen 2 in the office. Xoxo

Ok so I looked online an compared many companies an the cheapest I found was with British Gas believe it or not!! Even including the new 6% increase I'm saving, my new bill will now be £65 a month for both gas an electric!! Wish I'd changed sooner :)

Ok so I looked online an compared many companies an the cheapest I found was with British Gas believe it or not!! Even including the new 6% increase I'm saving, my new bill will now be £65 a month for both gas an electric!! Wish I'd changed sooner :)

That's good to know, I'm with British Gas :) Although it seems we're being ripped off by all the energy companies - it'll be interesting to know the outcome of the current investigations into market rigging!

By the way, which tariff did you choose? I have Online Energy for both gas and electricity.

Last edited:
I called mine today and by switching tariff with same company I saved £500!

Mines is now £230 til may then £150
Apparently they change the direct debits after 6 mths

I will be changing company when I move next year

I am with NPower and they are RUBBISH! They were undercharging us for 2 years (never came and read the meter in that time) and now we owe them £1300! They want a huge amount of money each month which we can't afford and to top it all off they went into our bank account and took they whole amount out in one go! They refunded it the next day but I was fuming as I dont even have a direct debit set up with them so God knows how they got into my acount. I found out my ex had exactly the same thing happen to him where they took out a similar amount and he's not even supplied bythem....he's with British Gas!!!! AVOID like the plague! :(

Latest posts

Back