Home gas and electric prices?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scissorz

Reaction score
Hi I'm wanting to change Gas an Electric companies at home as the amount I'm paying is getting ridiculous!! Plus the companies I'm with are both increasing their prices by 17th November, I'm with Scottish Power and British Gas and currently paying around £140 a month, can anyone recommend any cheaper companies? Thanks in advance :)

Have a look in to utility warehouse, I've been with them for years and they're really good prices.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

We spend about £160 per month at the minute. If it helps work out the use there are 2 of us here, we have 3 large double bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, hall, large kitchen and large lounge to heat, the hot water is via tank and gas cooker, that's the gas reasons.
We have a pc and laptop that are never turned off, 4 tv's that are on or on standby constantly, outdoor lighting on all day and night, a 5000 litre a hour fountain on 24/7 365, halogen lighting throughout (about 120 bulbs), the lounge electricals (wii, sky, DVD player, surround sound, Hifi) that are on ur using standby. 12 cordless phones and 3 phones that charge daily. So there's the reasons for electric bills. Probably more electricals but I can't think xoxo

We spend about £160 per month at the minute. If it helps work out the use there are 2 of us here, we have 3 large double bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, hall, large kitchen and large lounge to heat, the hot water is via tank and gas cooker, that's the gas reasons.
We have a pc and laptop that are never turned off, 4 tv's that are on or on standby constantly, outdoor lighting on all day and night, a 5000 litre a hour fountain on 24/7 365, halogen lighting throughout (about 120 bulbs), the lounge electricals (wii, sky, DVD player, surround sound, Hifi) that are on ur using standby. 12 cordless phones and 3 phones that charge daily. So there's the reasons for electric bills. Probably more electricals but I can't think xoxo

Thanks that's very helpful, size wise my house is about the same as yours there's 2 adults an a toddler living here, however I don't have the outdoor lighting but do use a dryer which is on 50% of the week , I try an switch sockets off as much as possible (slight OCD) I've had a few recommendations from friends for other companies so I'm just gonna ring around over the weekend an see where I can save a few quid! By the way why would you need 12 cordless phones lol :)

I'm £230 4 bed, 3 kids under 5, so tumble dryer on constantly!

I'm with npower(avoid)
Been with eon (avoid)

When u find a cheap one let us all know!

I'm £230 4 bed, 3 kids under 5, so tumble dryer on constantly!

I'm with npower(avoid)
Been with eon (avoid)

When u find a cheap one let us all know!

Haha those are the 2 companies recommended to me lol, I will have a search about and let you know :)

I can't believe everyone pays so much! Mine is around £40 a month! I switched with M&S as you get lots of vouchers but i think it is done through Southern Electric. It's worth it for the extra vouchers for food shopping.

i changed to edf this year after doing a comparison on moneysupermarket, i saved myself nearly 60 per month so now paying 103 for gas and electric. there are 5 of us and an extra every other weekend, i work from home and 3 of children are currently at home so constant use of water, gas, electric xx

Andrea - £40? Really? I'm amazed.

I pay £188 per month; went through comparison site, for me the best deal was EDF.

Cn recommend the Martin Lewis site.

I can't believe everyone pays so much! Mine is around £40 a month! I switched with M&S as you get lots of vouchers but i think it is done through Southern Electric. It's worth it for the extra vouchers for food shopping.

I would double check u don't owe them a fortune! Yrs ago they left us for nearly a yr thinking our payments were covering usage hell no owed them nearly 1k

I would double check u don't owe them a fortune! Yrs ago they left us for nearly a yr thinking our payments were covering usage hell no owed them nearly 1k

^^ This!!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
Utility warehouse are the best they will refund 3x what they don't save u and prices are capped til April next yr xx

Last edited:
What do I mean this

I think the person meant they agreed with the comment on checking that they didn't owe more the the £49

Oh not switched on tonight! Cheers x

I've just had a major rant about this, I got my projected use bill from NPower and it's a shocking £1900 per year for gas and electricity.

Although I knew it would be expensive as I feel the cold and have the heating on constantly, don't have a washing line so have the tumble drier on daily and my kids think nothing of standing under the electric shower for 20 minutes or so, oh and not to mention their love of our very own replica of Blackpool illuminations...! I was pretty aghast when seeing it in black and white. They've just increased my payments to £165/month. :Scared:

Mines went from 70 pm to 230ish pm
With n power

Yes southern electtic did this to me to infact it was just short of 2000 pounds worth of debt x

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

We are with Eon and pay £93 a month and that includes gas and electricity. We also get Tesco points with Eon. I was paying £168 to Southern Electric for the same thing.

We live in a 3 bed 3 recep detached house, 2 adults 2 teenagers, so lots of washing (I don't have a tumble dryer though), and gadgets constantly charging lol

It has been this amount constantly for the last couple of years so it's not a cheap deal to get you in and then it goes up.

Utility Warehouse I have no experience of but you do have to pay them a fee and I believe commit to getting all services from them but that is only what I've heard from people. x

Latest posts

Back