home massage course

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nick

Reaction score
Hi
I know this is not the right way of training but im thinking about going on a massage course (home learning) so i can add a little extra for my friends and fam and maybe customers after i have been doing my fam for a while. The reason im thinking of going on a home course is because i live in france and it would not be suitable to go on a french course as i only understand a little french.
I know you need hands on but if i could do the written at home and then read lots of books then maybe go on a 1 week course .All the home courses are aset and sac dip will that be any good or would you only do nvq vtct etc . Please help.
Thanks

Hi.

How would you learn the A & P side of it? You would need to do this before learning massage..

hth.

Elaine xx

Last edited:
well as we are all professionals that have undertaken proper hands-on training, I don't think you will get anyone on here to agree with you that it is a good idea.

sorry.

i feel that to do a homelearn course is fine as long as you also go on a week or so course elsewhere to get that practical training you need. you would learn the A&P on the home course, but i dont think you can do this alone, you also need practical training as well
hth
x

Hi
I can do a vtct a&p diploma course home learning then do a 1 or 2 day mass/course
have a look at this link do you think it will de any good
Body Basics School: Massage Courses ITEC) and Sports Massage/Injury Course(ITEC) Aromatherapy Courses & Reflexology Courses London :hug:

Iv had a look and i personally wouldn't waste my money.

I'm talking from personal experience when i say you cannot possibly learn massage or anatomy and physiology in this way, for you to be competent and proficient, and insured.

When i was doing my A&P diploma we had to learn inside and out 1 muscle a week for homework plus all the body systems, bones and muscles.

It was hard going , but looking back it was the best thing iv ever done , because now as a reflexologist and aromatherapist, without that rigorous training i would probably be blagging my way through my work, which in turn is cheating your clients , yourself and the industry.

As for the practical - i actually failed a mock exam once just for leaving my watch on.!
Its tough going , even down to the way we fold our towels is marked and judged, without even going into the massage itself!!!!
Then there are the massage mediums etc etc.
Then there are all the massage moves and incorporating them into a full treatment, and learning about client modesty etc etc.
Then all the theory that goes with it, not including a&p.
I could go on and on because that what massage involves - a lot of hard work.

How anybody can think that they can learn all that needs to be learnt in a one or even a two day massage course is completely wrong, and i say that from experience from learning it in just one year!!

Please dont waste your money or your time.

Elaine xx

hi I did a home study course and I found it really good as it fitted round my work and children, but before I went on the course I phoned up my insurance company and asked them if the diploma course and school I wanted to attend was accredited, as some insurance companies will not accept certain certificates/school. i would check out the place you want to train with first as you could end up paying alot of money and end up with a certificate that is not much good to get insurance. that happened to me once years ago so I always research first now.

I dont think its just the insurance issues you should worry about its actually knowing what you are doing!I did my VTCT level 3 massage and there is no way I could have learnted everything if anything at home.You cant teach yourself and I feel you must be taught hands on to be a good and professional massage therapist.The only way I can see this home study course/courses working is to see it as a stepping stone and then go on to do a NVQ/VTCT etc course but then why waste money?:hug:

The home study course I went on covered all the course syllabus and practical training (2 days) as the vtct courses do in these beauty academys and I had to do a final exam at the end of it and have a pass rate of over 80%. the massage course had 12 topics to cover each having a question paper to complete after each topic then once all the 12 assignments were covered and passed you then had to go to london for 2 days practical hands on as well as final exam. I think that is more than enough to qualify to do massage. (the only difference for me was I could do it at my own pace)

Latest posts

Back