Home Salon... Advertising Help

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kim@Talontastic

Reaction score
I've just qualified with OPI in enhancememnts and mani/pedi. I have also done my NVQ level 3.:)

I have a spare room, which i've converted into a mini salon. I've got my table, a display unit with all my products on it, a chair which i use for pedicures. Personally I love it. All my friends and family think its fabulous because before that I was I was working in my kitchen.

Just wondered if anybody could advise how the best way to advertise to people and build up my client base. I currently work full time in an office, which I absolutly hate but I'm scared to pack that in just in case i don't have enough work to cover my bills etc...

Also, how do you deter the weirdo's, as I live on my own I am a little nervous about letting strangers in my home. I no I shouldn't judge everyone the same but it would be my worse nightmare if someone broke in after i'd done there nails. :cry:

Does anyone no what I mean or am I being crazy? I no I'm being abit of a drama queen but it would be good to have some advise...

Thanks Kim x

hey well done thats great that you've not just stuck with a job you hate! and OPI are great!!!
simple flyers and newspaper ads are all you need - the word will soon spread... try local things like advertising at doc surgery/playschool etc - advertising doesnt have to be expensive!
its hard working from home - always keep a note somewhere of the person - their name and no and even ask their address so if you did ever have a reason to suspect anyone you have all their details.
it sounds sneaky but if im at home on my own then i hide the fact by putting the tv on in another room so they can hear it as they walk past!!!!!
you'll be fine but you can never be too safe!
good luck!

Yeah Im worried about wierdos too thats why i want to go mobile!

Just wondered if anybody could advise how the best way to advertise to people and build up my client base.
http://www.salongeek.com/business/28153-sassy-guide-advertising-your-business.html
hth's

Yeah I'm worried about weirdos too that's why i want to go mobile!
http://www.salongeek.com/business/34574-pros-cons-being-mobile-nail-technician.html

We're all at risk from weirdo's whether we've got a town salon, a home salon OR mobile.

Take sensible precautions, let family/friends know what time your treatment starts, what time you should be finished by and if you haven't phoned/text them by a certain time for them to ring you to ensure you're ok.

Thanks for your help, I've got a charity event coming up soon so going to give every person a flyer, even if they aren't having a treatment.

I'm in the exact same boat as you Kim. I work from home but the 'salon' is separate from the house so I don't have to let anybody in 'cept if they want the loo. I understand what you mean though and you need to be careful about who you let in your home.

As for advertising I've been using the local paper which is quite expensive and I've had to turn quite a few customers away 'cause they wanted mobile, which I just don't want to do. I also advertise in my hairdressers where I have my hair done and some local shop windows. I have to say business hasn't been that good since Christmas but I'm hoping it will pick up when the spring comes.

Don't be quick to give up your other job though. I packed in at Christmas to go self employed and it's not as easy as you might think and it's a bit scarey at the mo with business being slow.

Good luck with everything.

Hiya Kim, just wanted to let you know that im doing the same as you almost. I work in an office mon-fri 9-5 and hate it so much (but it pays the bills) im also studying my NVQ Level 2 n Beauty 2 nights a week, which is almost finished, and i have a room in my house which im using a salon. I offer mani and pedi treatments only at the moment till im qualified and looking into other courses e.g. hot stones, reflexology etc.. anyway, sorry im babbling but just wanted to let you know there's others like you out there, desperate to do this as a full time career.

With regard to advertising, i recently had a meeting with a local business advisor (similar to Business Link) who gave me loads of inspiration and ideas, so you may want to contact someone in your area. One thing that sticks in my mind that they said about advertising was when you leaflet drop, do it on a Sunday morning, so when people pick it up of their doormat they are more likely to sit down and read it on a Sunday than any other day. They gave me loads of other advise but im concious that im chuntering on too much!! sorry:o .

Anyway, just wanted to wish you lots of luck.
Kelly
xXx

Hi! Your home salon sounds really nice, lucky you. Like you I work from home but in the beginning I was mobile which I have mostly phased out as it's just more straightforward to stay in one place, but I've always been a bit paranoid about what situation you might find yourself in. I don't have any tips other than those that have already been given but you are not alone in your concerns. But all my clients have been nice and normal!!

On the marketing side, when I started 3 years ago, I put a little box ad in Yellow Pages which was expensive but it brought in new enquiries every week and paid for itself very quickly. Even if you don't want to pay for an ad, if you work from home both Yellow Pages and Thompson Local will put in a free lineage ad with your details. (PM me if you need contact numbers.)

I did leaflet drops (with a discount voucher on) as well, I would spend hours walking round delivering. If you make sure you have done your own nails you can show them to anyone you see in gardens etc when you hand them a leaflet.

I also copy an idea from a local hairdresser's; each time one of my clients recommends a friend both the client and the friend receive 25% discount. It's a good way of building up a client base.

I attended a charity event and gave out lots of leaflets, I also gave anyone the chance to have one free acrylic or gel nail so they could try it first and this led to quite a bit of business and it was a really nice evening.

Good luck with everything and HTH! xx

I got some business cards from Vista Print 1000 for about £12 (that was including a note pad) but they were on offer.

I placed a few of them in my local shops on the counters on Monday and I have had 2 phone calls and 2 appointments arranged already :D

Try that hun

Your all fab thanks for the help, i've roped the boyfriend in to helping me out and I've just cleaned the roo from top to bottom so it looks fab again. I was a bit disheartened with it lately so its been used as a dumping ground, but that ended today.

Thanks for all the advise, i'll let you no how I get on

Latest posts

Back