Home Salon and Kids?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tiptoze

Reaction score
Anyone else in the same boat as me??? I am a qualified nail tech (8 years) and at one point had my own salon in the small village where I live. I gave this up for personal reasons and went back to office work. However, I have since had a baby girl (she is now six months old) and want to set up my salon again at home. I am confident I can get enough clients to make a profit but I am concerned about having a little one needing attention and offering nail treatments?

I know it is not very professional, but does anyone else run a salon from home with a baby? If so, how do you handle it?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

mmm tough one..
i am 20 pregnant at the min, but my 4 year is off to school in 3 weeks :cry:
so that gets him out the way...
i am lucky enough that my hubby has managed to swap his shifts round a bit so they are more permanent each week and give him more days off...

some of my clients... the old dears, would love to have the new baby around, they love it ha
tho others would not be so accomadating.
it depends on the clients and the baby, is she/he good?
you'll prob find a client thats a mum herself wouldn't mind, then on the otehr hand she may of come for a break from her own screaming house lol

we were toying with the idea of a childminder 2 days and me crammin all the work into them days. but luckily we've sorted it without having to do so..
i probably haven't helped you much?
have you no family to help you a few hours a week with the baby?
or could you work just evenings/weekends??

best of luck xx

Thanks for your comments. Unfortunately, don't have any family who live locally. I could concentrate on evenings only and "test the water" with my clients to see if they would mind a daytime appointment with little one around, otherwise she could go to a childminder......... difficult isn't it? :confused:

I dont have a baby but i do have a 3 and 4 year old.

I have always done evening only appts as i have exactly the same problem as you, no family to help out.

I can honestly say its works perfect for our family.

When they go to school I can expand to days but my clients all WANT evening appts rather than daytime ones.

Good luck

Hi

Not in completely the same boat as you but thought I'd give you my opinion for what its worth :wink2:

I have a home based salon, my six year old son is obviously at school during term time.

I started by offering appointments during school time, evenings or when family can look after him.

However, now if I get a call from a client who wants an appointment when my son will be around, I tell them he will be here and give them the choice. I have to say none of them have minded and none have them have said they would rather have a different day/time, although I must say my son is extremely well behaved and clients rarely catch sight of him anyway (I must have been a saint in a former life :)!!)

I would say I wouldn't do this for new clients as I like to suss them out a bit so I know if they are likely to be ok with this, but again I'm lucky that all of my clients so far seem to be absolutely lovely (perhaps I was mother Tereasa's sister :)!!)

Good luck whatever you decide

H xx

Yes in your boat hun. I work evenings from 7 when they are in bed. With wedding apts my partner has to make sure he can have them. I have a 2yr old and 6 month. I would advise you wait until you know your littleun sleeps through for the hours u want to do as you can't dash off in middle of client x

I have a 7 month old daughter and need to work days and evenings
So I give my clients a choice. I always tell them that she will be home and but if it's preferred to have a treatment without her about then I have evenings available when her dad looks after her.
She does nap quite regularly in he morning so I always have a 9.30 appt when I know she'll be snoozing.
It's not easy to juggle but just be honest with your
clients. If they are mums or grandmothers they may just understand

Thanks for all your advice. I think the best option is to start with evening appointments and the natural conversation normally comes round to family and children so I could test the water then as to whether my clients would mind a daytime appointment with little one around.

Hi There. I'm in the same position as you. I have an 11 month old, a two year old and a four year old. I don't feel that I can have clients at home when my husband isn't home in case the kids hurt themselves or something. During school time it isn't a problem, the 4 year old goes to school, the two year old to granny's and the baby goes to nursery. I feel like I've done a days work before I'm ready to start work. I work Monday and Tuesday morning, evenings and Saturday afternoon. I'm mobile and also have a treatment room at home. I've recently started offering holistic treatments so before this, working at home was fine. However, people don't want to be having a relaxation treatment while listening to kids arguing and carrying on so I've decided to buy a summer house and kit it out as a treatment room. Hopefully that will work out.

I'm in the same boat with an 11 month old and a 7 & 5 year old. During term time not a problem with the older ones at school and I fit customers around my youngest ones naps. I also let people know she will be around and check if thats ok and if not offer an evening appointment. I've done the same during the holidays and its worked quite well as I can trust my older 2 to sit quietly and play or watch tv

For the most part it works ok. I did have a bit of a tricky day the other day when she decided to take a dislike to one of my customers and just cried the whole time she was here. Thankfully this was someone I knew and they were understanding and also had children, but it was a bit awkward. It did give me a little crisis of confidence to be honest.

I'm not entirely sure how it will work also once she is walking. I am at the moment considering the options between all evening appointments or having childcare set in place for 1 day a week and trying to do most of my appointments between the 2. I guess it will only be time that will tell.

HTH
xx

i'm in the same position as you hun, i've got a six yr old & a two yr old, any day time appointments are in the afternoon when my son has his nap ( luckly he always sleeps well!!) & then i do evenings from 7pm once hubby is home & kids in bed,
today my friend came for her infils & brought her teenage daughter who amused my youngest while i worked, not an ideal situation but i only do this for friends
i also work part time in an old peoples home

HI

I'm a nurse who has a treatment room attached to the side of my house as an extension, it is fully self contained and private. I have 5 kids and it works fine. My youngest is 12 months who is great, she sometimes cries when I leave the house to go to work but you can only hear her a little bit and if you put music on or her dad or sisters sorts her out it's fine. The issue for me are the boys 7 and 10! You can imagine, little whirlwinds, very noisy and can be in and out of the house, I have a door chime in the treatment room which sounds when the main door is open. I just make sure that the 10 year old is not in and out the house when I run clinics and also shoo them away from outside the house as they do like to congregate outside with their friends. No-one wants to see kids outside when you have treatments that I offer.

That said, my clients know I have kids and they are fine with it. If it is a new client I advise them I work at home and just make sure I book them in when I know the boys are at school or in bed!! xx

Latest posts

Back