Hooked nails, how best to do them.

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tigi

Reaction score
Hi!

I have a lady coming back tomorrow, i did a set of l&p for her last week and she has severely hooked nails.

the problem seems to be that as her nails grow they seem to almost drag the enhancement along and make them lift badly. NOTHING i do seems to be changing this. I have tried taking the free edge as far down as i can to tip her, i have been meticulous in my prep but her nails look terrible after about a week. her nail plate is also very broad and flat.

can anyone offer advice? its driving me mad. I am determined to give her a lovely set ( I do her sisters nails and they are always lovely). What am i doing wrong?

tigi
xxxxxxxxxxxx

I have a few clients who have nails like this. Only one thing works for me- sculpting. Cut her nail straight across and sculpt on her free edge with a form.

This is one of those problem nails and I agree with 'naildoctor' that sculpting does seem to help with the stability but as for a beautiful set???

I have never made these kind of nails what I would call beautiful. The client may like them better than before for sure, but "you can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear" and this type of nail is a sow's ear !! There is no use letting it drive you mad tigi ... you can't make 'em all gorgeous and we can't always solve every problem and sometimes we just have to admit that!! :hug:

Sets on this type of nail need replacing more frequently as the nail grows out than they do on clients with regular shaped nails.

Last edited:
I also agree with the above as usual VERY good advise. Can I add that as the nail grows longer remember it will usually get more and more hooked. So I tend to persuade my ladies to keep them a little shorter. hth

ok thanks for your advice lovely ladies.

So, ok, I will definately take on board that a lovely set is out of the question then and aim for the best i can do without despairing. sculpting scares me (gosh am so rubbish a sculpting). I really hate it. but, if I am to give her anything passable for a decent set then sculpting it is!

and keep them short, right off to practise my sculpts ............

thank you xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Don't be like that about sculpting ... you do it every single day on top of a tip .. the only difference is you do the same thing with out a tip and visualizing it yourself!! You can do it because you already do it! :hug:
ok thanks for your advice lovely ladies.

So, ok, I will definately take on board that a lovely set is out of the question then and aim for the best i can do without despairing. sculpting scares me (gosh am so rubbish a sculpting). I really hate it. but, if I am to give her anything passable for a decent set then sculpting it is!

and keep them short, right off to practise my sculpts ............

thank you xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I had never thought of it in that way, yes that makes sense. I find positioning the sculpt really hard, i cant get it to stop sloping downwards, but am going to persevere tonight and tackle it head on.

thank you Geeg. your advice as always is first rate.

tigi
x

Latest posts

Back