Hot stones too hot!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HelenT59

Reaction score
Iv always been sensitive to heat and find hot stone massage difficult because of this!When I do hot stone massage I find the stones very hot to hold yet the client finds them fine. They are at the correct temperature and if I put them cooler then they don't retain what as much. So I know it's just my own sensitivity. Has anyone else had this problem and is there any alternative way to use them etc or methods to stop this happening?

I was trained by Jane Scrivner, the LaStone way. If the stones are too hot to take out with the bare hand, I use a wooden spoon to lift out about 3-4 at a time. Then lay them onto a towel to let cool slightly, you can cover with a towel so they don't get too cool. Alternatively do this. The client will have a towel over their legs, press the towel in between the legs to make a space, place the stones in that space and cover with the rest of the towel to keep warm until you can touch them yourself. Second alternative, if the client is all right with heat, place them (using a small flannel) at their neck until you can touch it later. Third alternative, the client can hold them in their hand until you're ready. Hope this gives you some ideas.

I was trained by Jane Scrivner, the LaStone way. If the stones are too hot to take out with the bare hand, I use a wooden spoon to lift out about 3-4 at a time. Then lay them onto a towel to let cool slightly, you can cover with a towel so they don't get too cool. Alternatively do this. The client will have a towel over their legs, press the towel in between the legs to make a space, place the stones in that space and cover with the rest of the towel to keep warm until you can touch them yourself. Second alternative, if the client is all right with heat, place them (using a small flannel) at their neck until you can touch it later. Third alternative, the client can hold them in their hand until you're ready. Hope this gives you some ideas.

Brilliant thank you!

If I were you I would look at lava shells, they cool down as you use them , then heat back up.

You are able yo give the same high quality of massage but with a more consistent heat as the shells remain warm

I have this problem with hot stone massage to the point of stones being correct temp but the heat on my hands leaves me feeling physically sick with each and every client so i no longer do this treatment. Just like every therapy, it wont suit all therapists so if you work for yourself and your finding it too much then drop it. If you work for someone then speak to your boss and say you struggle phusically with this treatment and hopefully they should help you

Sent from my SM-G900F using SalonGeek mobile app

If I were you I would look at lava shells, they cool down as you use them , then heat back up.

You are able yo give the same high quality of massage but with a more consistent heat as the shells remain warm

Do you have to train in lava shells too to be able to offer this?

I have this problem with hot stone massage to the point of stones being correct temp but the heat on my hands leaves me feeling physically sick with each and every client so i no longer do this treatment. Just like every therapy, it wont suit all therapists so if you work for yourself and your finding it too much then drop it. If you work for someone then speak to your boss and say you struggle phusically with this treatment and hopefully they should help you

Sent from my SM-G900F using SalonGeek mobile app

I don't mind giving the treatment. I think I will try the towel methods and see how I go!

Do you have to train in lava shells too to be able to offer this?

Yes, you do have to train in lava shells. But if you buy the lava shells through Ellisons, you can get their training DVD so DIY train yourself. Do remember though that each time you use the shells, there is a cost involved, i.e. the sachet that heats up the shells. More info is from sharedbeautysecrets.com, the supplier and trainer.
As you are using hot stones, are you also using cold stones? I find that alternating hot and cold temperatures helps me as well as the client.

Yes, you do have to train in lava shells. But if you buy the lava shells through Ellisons, you can get their training DVD so DIY train yourself. Do remember though that each time you use the shells, there is a cost involved, i.e. the sachet that heats up the shells. More info is from sharedbeautysecrets.com, the supplier and trainer.
As you are using hot stones, are you also using cold stones? I find that alternating hot and cold temperatures helps me as well as the client.

To be honest I'd never really thought about incorporating cold stones as well. Do you just do this in similar movements than when using the hot stones??

I can't find lava shells to buy on ellisons, am I looking in the right place?

Thanks for any help x

Latest posts

Back