Hot wax using Rica?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pennyfeathers

Reaction score
Recently with demand from clients we have taken on the Totally Uk hot wax Rica and are trying to master it.
We have one issue every time and its.....

The wax break mid pull and leaves behind a lot of residue.

Any tips?

We have read about trying oil underneath but does this really help?

Any advice would be very welcome!!

If the wax breaks it's either on too thin or it's been left to set too long - I'm not familiar with that wax but I know some of the cheaper brands WILL break like that if not removed at just the right time - you may find that Perron Rigot and Berins (and I believe Lycon but I have never tried that) will be easier to master - if in doubt though why not get a trainer in to the salon for a refresher for all the waxers? Perron Rigot have special days or you can get someone in, Berins is sold in the UK by Zozo on here and I know she's a fully qualified trainer... :)

Instead of wasting wax getting it wrong and leaving residue behind (again this sounds either like too thin or cheap/older hot wax and not the new generation ones) and giving clients a bad experience then getting someone to give everyone good habits with a new wax could save you time and money in the long run :)

Hi Penny,

Before you start rushing out and changing your wax just have a play around with it and see if you can master it first...

Im not familiar with Rica non strip waxes but like all these products when you change brand it often works differently to the ones you used before.

Make sure the strips are a bit thicker and not too thin especially the edges, as thin strips are more likely to snap/break.

If your wax has been overheated as this can affect some brands and affect the plasticity of the wax.

Also dont leave it on the skin for too long as it may become brittle and snap ( as it sounds like its doing this at the moment) Hot wax should be set in less than a minute.

Hope you manage to get the problem sorted out.

Good Luck Jack

Hi PennyFeathers. Could you tell us a little more about how you apply it and I'll try to help. Is it in long narrow strips? What body parts have you found it breaking? Sorry, I've never heard of it but then I do live in my own little wax world.

All brands just need to be played around with so you get used to them so if you like that brand and your clients want it, then keep practising.

Thank You for the advice and tips, it very welcome.

We have been applying in in on 3-4mm layer in square patches of back 5cm by5cm then leaving it until we have done a couple (checker boarding) and them coming back to it and tearing off.

We maybe be over heating it so I'm going to turn it down and try smaller areas. It works great on underarms but its the bikini and brazillians we are struggling with!.

We use roller wax everywhere else and have great reputation for waxing on the island so finding this very frustrating. We haven't chartered yet just asking for models an during each other to practice until we feel able to do it properly!

HAve a great day and thank you again
:p

Thank You for the advice and tips, it very welcome.

We have been applying in in on 3-4mm layer in square patches of back 5cm by5cm then leaving it until we have done a couple (checker boarding) and them coming back to it and tearing off.

We maybe be over heating it so I'm going to turn it down and try smaller areas. It works great on underarms but its the bikini and brazillians we are struggling with!.

We use roller wax everywhere else and have great reputation for waxing on the island so finding this very frustrating. We haven't chartered yet just asking for models an during each other to practice until we feel able to do it properly!

HAve a great day and thank you again
:p
If I were you, use the wax at different temp on your colleagues and make a note of the temperature that works the best and keep it at that.

Then you need to develop that professional eye so that you know at a glance what temperature your wax is on. I never test wax on myself because I know just by looking at it.

If you're finding it more difficult on larger area, my guess is that it's too hot and too thin. Make sure that you press your wax into the hair as it's setting and that it's properly set before you remove it. Let us know how it goes.

Hi Just thought Id let you all know we have had another go today and plied oil underneath used small thicker applications and have had a successful wax!!! HOORAY!!!

thank you to you all for helping maybe jus maybe we've cracked it!!!

:lick:

Hi all I also work at Pennyfeathers and having a few problems with hot wax. We are currently using rica avocado hot wax but it seems to be taking up to an hour to do a Hollywood ! My problem is I'm only getting about 50% of the hair removed at one time from my strip so about 50% is left on the skin so I'm having to go over a couple of times to get a good result. My strips aren't very big and tend to be quite round and not leaving any wax residue on the skin so I presume my application is ok ? To pre wax I'm using a little bit if oil but now thinking this could be causing it not to stick on the plus side the client said it was the least painfull hot wax shes had which Is why I don't want to change the brand of wax .
Any advise is welcome or tips to try thanks in advance ;)

These posts are confusing me. Is there more than one person posting as Pennyfeathers? Or is it just too early in the morning for me?

Hi all I also work at Pennyfeathers and having a few problems with hot wax. We are currently using rica avocado hot wax but it seems to be taking up to an hour to do a Hollywood ! My problem is I'm only getting about 50% of the hair removed at one time from my strip so about 50% is left on the skin so I'm having to go over a couple of times to get a good result. My strips aren't very big and tend to be quite round and not leaving any wax residue on the skin so I presume my application is ok ? To pre wax I'm using a little bit if oil but now thinking this could be causing it not to stick on the plus side the client said it was the least painfull hot wax shes had which Is why I don't want to change the brand of wax .
Any advise is welcome or tips to try thanks in advance ;)
With the pre wax oil you only need to use a really small amount as too much oil and the wax will just slide about and not adhere to the hair. You can blot the skin with a tissue to remove any excess oils..

Hi all at PennyFeathers. Sounds like you need training and you need to use a different wax.

With the pre wax oil you only need to use a really small amount as too much oil and the wax will just slide about and not adhere to the hair. You can blot the skin with a tissue to remove any excess oils..

Perfect Thank You the oil has helped a lot and the practice will be even better!

Hi all at PennyFeathers. Sounds like you need training and you need to use a different wax.

Thank You Kim for the advice you've given us throughout the tread. we have had the training offered and like to just see what other ideas we can grasp from like minded professionals as we are the only salon on Jersey to offer the service and want to continue our very highly regarded reputation before we are let loose on full paying clients.

Out of interest as a salon owner do you offer courses away form salons i.e. Here in Jersey for my team?

Thank You Kim for the advice you've given us throughout the tread. we have had the training offered and like to just see what other ideas we can grasp from like minded professionals as we are the only salon on Jersey to offer the service and want to continue our very highly regarded reputation before we are let loose on full paying clients.

Out of interest as a salon owner do you offer courses away form salons i.e. Here in Jersey for my team?

Just a thought, are you applying the wax firmly enough, using the spatula at the correct angle to really push the wax onto the hair?

Yes I do and I have a few salons in Jersey and Guernsey asking me to go over to train them, so email me (so we don't make this thread about my training) and we'll sort something out. It'll be in 2013 though as I'm fully booked. That'll quick come round and if you've waited this long.

[email protected]

Thanks for asking. x

Just a thought, are you applying the wax firmly enough, using the spatula at the correct angle to really push the wax onto the hair?

We think so but can't help pushing a little more! Thank YOu
x

Yes I do and I have a few salons in Jersey and Guernsey asking me to go over to train them, so email me (so we don't make this thread about my training) and we'll sort something out. It'll be in 2013 though as I'm fully booked. That'll quick come round and if you've waited this long.

[email protected]

Thanks for asking. x

Will do thank you. Ill be I'm touch very soon.

Latest posts

Back