How can people do extensions so cheaply?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Extensionista

Reaction score
Ok so I use my own brand of hair for 99% of my clients, by cutting out the middle man I can offer fitting and hair for a pretty reasonable price. However I've recently seen people offering a full head of extensions for dirt cheap! One advert for £115 and the other for £100!!! How is this even possible? Even with my budget range hair which I source whole sale I couldn't do that.

I'm not annoyed as such as I appreciate that's the risk when running a business it's dog eat dog. I am however keen to know how they do it??

I tend to use as much hair as I can in order to get a nice full finish but even if I used less hair I couldn't charge prices like that.

Anyone else seen these adverts?? What do you think the secret is??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No secrets they either use 0.5g strands or buy the hair very cheaply off ebay and them sort of places I see adds like that on gumtree and facebook all the time

As above. Cheap is just cheap at the en of the day.

I have a friend who just started out in extensions, she does beauty also + has no understanding that when she posts on her fb 'cheap prices' shes attracting the wrong attention, i had to tell her i couldn't not, it was killin me when she was putting it every few days lol

They could also just be starting out, using a very cheap brand, so thats why ?
I'm doing a deal atm where i need models + i want to do a colour flash + bright dip dye, but to keep costs low I've offered tape method (more affordable + quicker) but i make it known its for models only, not on all my price packages x

I've seen full head extensions for £95. I'm not an extensionist but it makes me not want to book in with them because I know that can't be right when salons price them at much more and their pictures show amazing results. It puts people off as much as it attracts the bargain hunters who might end up demanding a refund because their extensions look awful after a wash or two. I wouldn't worry about it. If you have happy returning clients, you must be doing something right.

U can get hair from amazon and eBay sooooo cheap! However it would take a lot of trial and lots of error to find a decent supplier with actual good hair, most people who offer cheap extensions I've seen on my fb latley are doing half head for £75 it's rediculous and I can't imagine the hair actually lasts more than a month, if any of u do find a good supplier tho let me know ;) lol

HairXtensions sell really cheap chinese hair.

Ive used it on my friend as a super budget range. Chopped a couple of inches off the straggly ends and it lasted her 2 fittings (6 months).

Cheap hair is everywhere. Its not the sort of clientele you want where they only want to pay £100 for hair and fitting.

Some people in my area charge £140-150 for indian remy. I know which supplier they use, its just they choose not to charge a huge amount for fitting but still leaves them with £15-20 per hour.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

They usually dont put enough in for a full head to!x

I was going to say that too a salon near me gets their customers to
Sign disclaimers and maybe put 80 strands in and says it's a full head !! It doesn't bother me because they always go to the better extensionist in the end anyway :)

But what gets me is these people seem busy but I don't see how customers are leaving happy. How can you blend 80 strands of wispy hair into a full head? Maybe I need to work on my technique as I sure couldn't.

I do have lots of happy clients so I guess I shouldn't be thinking about what others are doing but always good to watch the competition xx

There's no way 80 strands of wispy hair would look good at all. These sort of people are the ones that give us a bad name. I guarantee these girls having cheap extensions do not look good at all.... My prices are from £300 and will stay that way. I use good quality hair from 2 different suppliers, and I have happy clients that return. Even if someone begged me to use cheap hair and paid me my prices for it, I simply wouldn't, as that's not what my work is. It isn't fair on our reputations x

And I would never see them as competition either hun... It's a case of low standards vs high standards in this industry, I know what one I class myself as.

Oh no they def don't look good far from it ,. They look terrible .. And I'm guessing the hair is from eBay .. The prices are so cheap but on the other end of the scale are the ones who buy the nastiest hair they can get there hands on apply as little amount of hair in a poor way yet charge the earth.. I have seen this in my area too it's not nice to see someone willing to pay for a service and not get the standard there paying for .. I have a conscience and not just in this to make money I love to make people happy to :)

Definitely agree that they never look good. They stick in a minimal amount and it looks so thin and gappy.

They normally are left with some sort of mullet style and it's the ones where they use different coloured strands and it looks so so bad but they clients love it.

Like i said before you definitely don't want those types of clients. If they are willing to pay so cheaply then they won't care about specific aftercare products and looking after them.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

If I fitted nasty cheap hair extensions to one of my clients for £75-£100, and the risk that in a month the hair was to Matt up and dry out, my clients wouldn't think twice before returning and complaining about this hair, as when a client is concerned... £75-£100 is still a lot of money regardless of the type of hair. So to me it's not worth attempting, or worth the come back from it. I'd rather fit higher quality more expensive hair and stay in the middle with my prices. Not cheap, not ridiculously expensive either. These days you pay for quality of hair and service x

I had a client ask me for prices... Then heard nothing back until a couple of weeks later she messaged again saying she had gone with someone who charged I think 110 - 130 can't remember. But basically she had a few strands in her hair and the hair was blonde died dark as the tips were blonde and hair was black lol!! (client had dark brown hair) she then couldn't get in touch with her to complain and only had less than half a head of hair in.

May seem appealing at 1st going to cheap extensionists which is why they might get busy. But soon enough people are gonna hear about them & never go to them xx

Forgot to add.... She admitted she shouldn't of gone for cheaper option as its now costing her more paying twice lol!!

Some clients haven't got a clue they think that we buy the hair for like £20 and just put 100s on top as our fitting fee so they are always wanting it done for really cheap so annoying

Don't be disheartened as these clients will leave unhappy. Maybe not instantly but after 1/2 washes they will. It's all very very cheap hair off eBay, Amazon and even brands that we all use sometimes. It does attract the wrong type of person for sure. Do not put your prices down as we need to stick together to drum out these fools that are trying to undercut us. It will not last. I am sure of it.

Like they say.... Buy cheap,you end up buying twice...

Don't be disheartened as these clients will leave unhappy. Maybe not instantly but after 1/2 washes they will. It's all very very cheap hair off eBay, Amazon and even brands that we all use sometimes. It does attract the wrong type of person for sure. Do not put your prices down as we need to stick together to drum out these fools that are trying to undercut us. It will not last. I am sure of it.

Totally agree with sticking together to raise standards. I'd never lower my prices as it's just not worth my while, I'd rather spend time with my kids, hubby or friends than work for pennies. I also refuse to lower the standard of my hair, even with my budget hair clients can get 5-6 months out of the darker colours and 3-4 from lighter ones.

I think in beauty in general people don't realise how much damage they do to the industry by charging rock bottom prices. Xx

Latest posts

Back