How did you get into Nails?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My story is - having been in care work for years, last year when I realised i was pushing 40 I decided i wanted a change in career - but didn't know what. So I packed in my job last July and went off to parents place in Spain for a month to think about it. We hope to move to Spain eventually and I wanted to do something I could take with me.
I often had my nails done but was never quite happy with them. Whilst in spain I decided to have them done there at a little kiosk on the seafront. They cost 70 euros - they were ok (my nails) it was my hubby that said "blimey 70 euros for a couple of hours work, I don't know why you don't learn to do it yourself" The thought stuck in my head and when I got home i started to do some research about colleges and training on the net...... I was so lucky I came across the geek site which inspired to to train with creative and made me realise this wasn't got be a 5 minute learning thing! So I did my foundation course & 6 months on I'm still practising - I've spent a fortune and earned practically zilch ......... but I don't care -coz i love it and I hope to be the best I can 1 day and be able to call myself a professional, live in Spain and "do nails" by the beach!!!

my daughter asked me to go to college with her to learn "nails" so i did, after the first week, she was bored, he reason was "it wasnt what she was expecting" as she thought you would go straight into the nail app, but it was nail anat first,i of course carried on, bet she wished she had carried on now eh.

:eek:I was told i was being made redundant from my job, and i thought "oooh i'll do nails" as i have ALWAYS had my own done and loved watching:eek: the techs work.

i booked into Creative and did the 5 day L&P foundation (loved it) and now I am hooked, Not just on nails but tanning and Beauty too.

Cant wait to do loads more courses...

i started off as a makeup artist when i left school, then a couple of years later a friend had the most beautiful enhancements - real 80's style, long, hot orange with gold stripes,lol.
i was fascinated by them and went to have mine done by her tech who was a approved trainer through creative. we got along really well and she asked me if i would like to earn a little per set as i learnt. so i stayed learning with her for a year, didnt sit for my diploma until a year later when my mum asked me to work in her hair salon.
worked for mum for about 3 years, then a few other salons. had a few years off to have my kids, found i had lost quite a bit of skill so sat for my masters to refresh again also was lucky enough to find another mentor who through her managed to hone my french skills.
decided to work from home as the owner of the salon was not a nice person (to put it lightly)did a gel certificate through IBD and did a skill builder through NSI plus airbrush and e-file. i couldnt think of a more wonderful proffesion, i love it.

I had a bit of a wander through life before I found nails, and then it was only supposed to be temporary until I took up hairdressing.

I've always been a girly girl. I loved all things beauty at school but was determined to raise myself out of the mining village where we lived so fixed my sights on university as the answer to the life I wanted.

I hated it. The party life was great, but the studies didn't push me enough and I got lazy. I passed every essay and exam without having to work at it. After uni I worked 3 jobs to save to go travelling, a full time reception job for 48 hours a week, a part time local bar job 3 nights a week, and a weekend nightclub job on Thurs, Fri and Sat nights. I saved up and laid on various Australian beaches for a few months, travelled through the outback, came home early after the Peter Falconer incident because it freaked me out and decided I wanted to retrain in the beauty industry, focusing on becoming a colourist eventually. My career adviser friend put me off saying how much it would cost etc and I wish I hadn't listened to her. I drifted through a few jobs and eventually saw the VTCT course offered in an evening and went for it. I'm hooked. It was challenging and practical. It's only a year later that I decided that I want to stay in nails and get to be the best I can be.

I'm waiting for my new credit card to book some more training with creative. I did save up but my dog now has cancer and all my savings went on the vet bills.

Pix

i just wanted to do it part time after i did my level 2 beauty therapy. i thought that it would bring me extra dosh

I used to get my nails done at a local salon, I loved going, the atmosphere was always lively and friendly and I would just watch in awe when my lady did my nails!

I soon became infatuated and thought it would be something that I could enjoy, So I bought the rio gel nail kit and had a go at doing my own nails and realized I had a hidden talent, so I decided to go to college and get qualifications to share my talent with others and make new friends.
I totally love going to college and learning about doing nails and all the different systems used!
I have to say I do not get on with gels that much now after starting the l&p course.

I have only done a few sets, but have been pleased with them all, and I like learning my weeknesses as I know then that I can only improve!

I have actually had comments on the nails I done on myself!

I am at the moment quite interested in sculpting nails, I had never heard of this until I came on this site and my tutor was showing us at college on Monday - I cant wait to have a go!

I'm not very good at nail art though and will be doing a course as soon as I have completed the extension course!

I cant wait to become qualified and give my clients the same feeling I used to feel when leaving the salon after having my nails done - Fantastic job satisfaction or what!!!

xxx

I qualified as a beauty therapist back in 1989 (God, i feel old)!! Started work, but the pay was so poor, I couldn't afford to keep it up. Re-trained as a secretary and did that for the next 10 years, whilst doing mobile beauty in the evenings and weekends.

I then had my daughter and gave up work for her first 5 years, until she went to school. Then wanted to go back to work, but not in an office.

Beauty and nails had always been my first love, but when I trained in Beauty, nail extensions were only touched on.

So, I decided to go and get trained. Had my first nail training with Backscratchers, doing their Fibreglass and Acrylic systems. Absolutely loved it. I thought that was enough until I found this site. Undergone a few more training courses in Acrylic and Gel applications and am about to do a sculpting course with Sue Simms from Millenium Nails Wales.

Although, my initial training was as a Beauty Therapist, I love nails the most, and it is what I spend most of my working day doing!!!:)

I got started in high school my brother at the time owned three salons and i had an after school job w/my brother and i used to watch the nail tech on day i ask if she could do my nails and she alway would say how about on the weekend and then say i have to many client so on day I went to the store bought a kit read it and the then did my own nails it to 4 hours and i but designs on them and when i went to people keep saying the nail tech did a lovely job i would reply"thank you they don't look half bad for my 1st set" while i was looking right at the tech. and that how she gave me my start and i have some of here clients till this day

Latest posts

Back