How did you train?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lucy_smith

Reaction score
hello guys :)
im just wondering what made you go into the career field you are in? have you always wanted to be a hairdresser/ nail tech or beautician ?
when did you start training ? apprecticehip college ? full time ?
and who do you work for now ?
just wanting to know about all your experiences if you dont mind :D

I alway knew I wanted to be a hairdresser. I started while I was in school, I was doing a weekend course at a local college. Once leaving school I went to college full time for 3 years. During my first year I was a junior in a salon. During my 2nd and 3rd year I was employed by a salon part time.
The salon is now shut, and I am now mobile part time as I was able to keep clientele and looking into renting a chair to build a bigger clientele x

hello guys :)
im just wondering what made you go into the career field you are in? have you always wanted to be a hairdresser/ nail tech or beautician ?
when did you start training ? apprecticehip college ? full time ?
and who do you work for now ?
just wanting to know about all your experiences if you dont mind :D

Are you thinking of a career change yourself, if so what kind of career are you thinking of ?

thanks for the reply :)
yes thinking of a career change, im currently working as a pharmacy tech ( almost qualified)
but not what i realy want to do Im turning 21 soon so want to start sooner rather than later :)
I originally was wanting to become a hair dresser, but now im not sure if i should go into hair or beauty and nails :D
so just wantig some of your stories :) to give me a little inspiration lol

I never ever thought I'd become a beautician lol. I was ill with depression for a while but I had an interest in going something with science so I done a course in Anatomy and physiology when I was 19, my friend was doing a beauty course at the time which is where I saw it was nothing like I thought it was. I then done a course in massage, then done manicure and pedicure, then Nail enhancements, I have just qualified in waxing, facials and make up and I'm now 22 and looking for work :)

thanks for the reply !
so do you guys think you are better getting an apprenticeship or going to college ?

Like Amy I didn't think I would be doing this. I have worked since leaving Uni in marketing communications. I trained part-time evening and weekends (paid for by my day job) at a local college. If you are young an apprenticeship might be a good way to go I guess although I really enjoyed college!

I was a dental nurse for 20+ years and decided I wanted to do nails as a sideline.
At 39 I am now working for myself doing nails, tanning and lashes. Just wish I'd done it years ago x

I went straight to college from school age 16.... I'm now 25 and still doing it now :) i literally dont know how to do anything else but beauty! Ive went from salon, to ship, to spa, to now working for myself and love every minute of it :)

thanks for your replies guys :)
which way would you advice ?
college apprentice or a fast track course ?
any reason why you would go for these ?

I did my course at 18 and HATED doing nails. I had no idea what to do and why I had spent all that money. But now im 22 and my whole life revolves around nails! I love my job so much and im even looking in to a spray tan course right now!

I feel so blessed and happy to be given this chance and just lovvee it. I do get comments sometimes because I never finished high school and got married young, and my whole life is the beauty industry. Just today I had a snotty woman telling me to go back to high school and do something that will get me somewere in life (so rude) well im exactly were I wanna be in life :) I did have a job were I was making almost 3 times the money but I was so unhappy. Money is nothing when you hate life. I never ever thought my dreams would come true and I love it!

Ewww Gosh no! A career in Nails!!
I always liked nail polish and painting my nails but 12 years later to be obsessive about all things nail - who would've guessed?
My Mum, Boyf, Boyf sister all suggested I fund my way thru uni by 'doing nails' .... lets just say I never went to one of the most prestigious uni's and wonder everyday if I'm mad in the head :eek:
I trained at first with NSi and swiftly moved on and up through the years amassing nearly every qualification available.

thanks for your replies guys :)
which way would you advice ?
college apprentice or a fast track course ?
any reason why you would go for these ?

I simply recommend to take your time, do your research and practice, practice, practice.
All I ever read on here are panic stricken newbies who instead of sitting down and reading a book, website or asking their teacher/mentor for help just do post after post after post! :smack: I have no problems with wanting to earn money and as quickly as possible but there are amazing rewards from learning your craft, knowing your stuff and doing EVERYTHING you do well.

There is a course for every pocket, for every type of tech, just as there is a job for every type - just figure out which one you personally would like to be.... and lastly I have never sat a course and walked away ready to make money, I always had to practice first - people need to remember that!

I wanted to be a makeup artist to start with. Went to a salon that had a beautician as she done makeup for school work experience. Spent most of my time in the hair side and realised it was what I really wanted to do. Got taken on for weekends there, then a few hours after school in the week too. I then started college full time while in the salon on days off, afternoons on half days and weekends. I then finished the salon, moved colleges and finished my training there. I now work mobile and am moving to a salon in a week.

My recommendation to you would be voulenteer at a hair salon for a week, then a beauty one to see which side you prefer and make a decision from there xoxo

Latest posts

Back