How do I educate my Clients? Maybe a Fact Sheet????

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thatsnoicenailz

Reaction score
Hi,

I work with creative L&P and Gels. been in it now for about 5 months. I'm getting really frustrated by some clients who have never had nails and who complain when their nail grows and they need an infill. here are the things I discuss with clients before and after doing the nails

I check for any contra indications
Allergies
past problems with nails
Lifestyle (what do they do, so i can determine shape and length)
any concerns or questions (and I address these)

Step by step I tell them what I'm doing and why while completing prep and applying product.

If they choose gels, I warn about the little burning sensations that some clients feel.

when i remove the shine off the natural nail plate, i use a kanga board and explain how important it is to respect the integrity of the nail and not to stuff it basically.

then i finish off with explaining the importance of solar oil, a little hand massage and then a little lecture about not tearing, peeling or bitting the nails off. If they arn't happy then to come back and I will check over their concerns and if need be fix/remove or re-apply.

I explain that it's not nail techs that ruin nails (well hopefully not) but it's when the nail is removed incorrectly that it becomes a problem.

However I still get the occasional phone call, oh my nails are lifting and coming off, blah, blah, blah. I make an appointment witht hem and get them to show me thier concerns and 99% of the time they are complaining about just normal growth and the fact that they need an infill/rebalance!

How can i educate these people and explain that this is normal????

I was thinking about handing out a fact sheet to explain everything. what do you think? any suggestions or advice would be fantastic!

thanks

Hi there Dannielle

Search MMA on the site...
Check out as much as you can stand to read..lol.. print it out & pass it on.

This is the only way word gets out about NSS- Non Standard Salons & unsafe practices.

Apart from the rest of your marketing all the best..
Im in the third year with mine nearly ready to go to print.
Alot of bins full of paper--- mindless mumbling[trying to reword things]
INSANE dont come close to it!!!!!!

Have you visited www.apfa.net.au
HtH

XX J XX

hi dannielle there was a post by andrelax for home care rules, if you do a search and key this in, it should come up. i thought it was excellent, you can print it out. HTH x

Hi Danielle,
Printing a fact sheet isnt a bad idea. We all usually get the blame for the crappy nails when they have ripped them of themselves!!!! It must hurt to just rip them off like that!! You think that they would go the safe n painless way. Keep on educating them, its the best you can do!!!!
Cheers

Creative (UK) do some great aftercare leaflets.

I think your post is basically asking, How do you explain to the client that they will will have to have regular on-going maintenance if they want to keep their enhancements healthy and in good condition as well as their natural nails.

I tell my clients 'how it is' and that it is their responsibility to book their next appointment before they leave the salon. I tell them that the continuing good condition of their nail enhancements is a two way contract between them and me and that they have responsibilities too regarding aftercare etc.

It can't be too difficult for them to realize that as their nails grow, the balance goes and this needs to be maintained regularly.

Try talking a photo of either your own nails or another clients when they are at the stage where they are needing a rebalance/ infills, that way you can show the clients what to expect. I think for some unknown reason, some clients think that the enhancement stays where you have put it and the nail GROWS UNDERNEATH IT all on its own without the enhancement moving at all!!!! Some do not realise that they will actually be able to see the regrowth area and others say that this cannot possibly be regrowth as their nails do not grow that fast!! I have had exactly the same response from new client that have never had nail enhancements on before. The info you are giving them is really good so keep up the good work and maybe add a photo to your repertoire.:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

This is when your first consultation with the client helps. It is good you explain the process while doing their nails, but some people need the eye to eye contact while you explain certain things. This in turn will help you because you will see the change in their facial expression if they don't understand something.

The rebalance procedure is important to explain so they know when their nails grow and leave a gap it is quite normal and that the balance of the nail is changed so needs to be corrected.

It is a great idea to give them a leaflet because no one can remember all the info you have given in one hit.

Take care xx

Hi there

Seems that you are doing and giving the right advice & service needs.

As you build clientele you will notice that there are still alot of myths & mysteries the general public hold as fact in regards to our profession.

Any extra clarity that you can offer will tell your clients your commintment & passion for the health - safety & wellbeing of their nails.

If I feel one of those myths or mysteries are about to rear their head,
I'll listen - empathise - & produce the appropriate print out to back up my
myth 'n' mystery buster. In their hand & head down - I can then carry on at my pace. Every so often confirming or offering an alternative solution.

The Hardee Har Har [joke section] section on this site is a real belly laugh. For a care free appointment offer some of those to read. One of my regulars begs for them & if we finish in time [not often laughin to much] we will have a geek around together.

Links below have unlimited resource for spa techs / nail techs & encourage you to print them out.

Beautytech - http://www.beautytech.com

Nails Magazine - http://www.nailsmag.com

HtH

XX J XX

Urban Geek said:
Creative (UK) do some great aftercare leaflets.

Hey Chris - this is exactly what I was going to say... tyhe leaflet does the work for you although I would still go through everything in there! :green:

Going through the Aftercare Leaflet is a great retail tool too! It is confirmation of what you have already advised.

Thanks so much for your advice, Marilyn - I loved your idea about the photo, it's a great idea, I know logically yes you will need to get the groth filled in, but i guess some people are just clueless even once alreasy told!

Yes i normally book my clients in every fortnight before thery leave their appointment but it's the ones that say they will call me a few days before and make their appointment that actually complain.

Oh well, I guess I will just need to make it sink in with them!

aThanks again for your help!

Latest posts

Back