How do I say no to this client?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Hi Everyone!
So ive got this client, she been with me since the beginning of my business but she was always very cheeky and asking for discounts. I did at the time give her those discount as it was a new business and I needed the money. She'd been coming every couple of months for a good year and she booked in for a gel manicure and pedicure. She'd already had two done by me that year previously and everytime I told her to make sure she doesn't get any sunscreen on her nails (as it can make the gels discolour and peel) so she had her gels done for the 3rd time that year and was happy. Two days into her holiday I get a email from her saying "FYI all my nails have peeled off"
I apologied a lot to her, I asked her if she had got sun cream on her nails. Her response was, " well of course I have! But ive never had this happen before!" With that I asked for a picture of them however she never send me one. She didn't come for a couple of months and when she did she was very sheepish. She's now asked for a gel manicure and pedicure (in October) however I don't want to do any treatments for her ever as she's always so rude and emails me at ridiculous times or night. She doesn't respect that I have a life around my business. Id really appreciate any help with how to turn down her custom please and im so sorry for this long drawn out post! I just wanted to get the whole story out there. TIA x

I would do the treatment, make sure you really drill the aftercare into her and add that if aftercare isn't followed then you can't guarantee the nails. If she messages/calls at silly times then ignore them and wait until your normal working hours to respond. When you do respond make it clear that you only respond in working hours and the phone isn't switched on/ left somewhere etc while you are not working so you don't get any messages until working hours. As for discounts politely decline and tell her that if she isn't happy with the price then feel free to try another therapist whose prices match her expectations :) sometimes these clients just need telling!

I would do the treatment, make sure you really drill the aftercare into her and add that if aftercare isn't followed then you can't guarantee the nails. If she messages/calls at silly times then ignore them and wait until your normal working hours to respond. When you do respond make it clear that you only respond in working hours and the phone isn't switched on/ left somewhere etc while you are not working so you don't get any messages until working hours. As for discounts politely decline and tell her that if she isn't happy with the price then feel free to try another therapist whose prices match her expectations :) sometimes these clients just need telling!

Thankyou for such a quick reply!
Ive really driddled it into her afterwards, this all happened almost a year ago and ive got much more of a business head now haha
She's had me so worked up in the past ive not been able to sleep at night.
I'll do what you say and bite the bullet and just been a lot more firmer and give her an aftercare leaflet! Haha that way she can't say I haven't told her.
Thankyou ☺️ Xxx

Try not to stress too much about it, remember that you are the professional one so you know what you are doing. At the end of the day if she doesn't like it then she can go elsewhere!

If she stresses you out and being a general pain in the butt, I'd tell her you're fully booked, it's your call, that's the joy of being self employed, you can pick and choose your clients.

I know it can be tough.
Only respond in business hours ( it'called training your clients). If you start to respond out of hours, clients start to expect it.
Charge her full price, and if she's not happy, she'll go elsewhere yay!

If she stresses you out and being a general pain in the butt, I'd tell her you're fully booked, it's your call, that's the joy of being self employed, you can pick and choose your clients.

I think when it's keeping you awake at night, they've got to go.agree with KHS

As above, stress is not worth it, simply say you are fully booked.

You do not have to take every single client, you are your own boss.

My hubby is a sign maker he oftern says he was asked to quote for a job and simply said we are fully booked for 3 months because he thought the client was going to be a pain in the a...

Hi Everyone!
So ive got this client, she been with me since the beginning of my business but she was always very cheeky and asking for discounts. I did at the time give her those discount as it was a new business and I needed the money. She'd been coming every couple of months for a good year and she booked in for a gel manicure and pedicure. She'd already had two done by me that year previously and everytime I told her to make sure she doesn't get any sunscreen on her nails (as it can make the gels discolour and peel) so she had her gels done for the 3rd time that year and was happy. Two days into her holiday I get a email from her saying "FYI all my nails have peeled off"
I apologied a lot to her, I asked her if she had got sun cream on her nails. Her response was, " well of course I have! But ive never had this happen before!" With that I asked for a picture of them however she never send me one. She didn't come for a couple of months and when she did she was very sheepish. She's now asked for a gel manicure and pedicure (in October) however I don't want to do any treatments for her ever as she's always so rude and emails me at ridiculous times or night. She doesn't respect that I have a life around my business. Id really appreciate any help with how to turn down her custom please and im so sorry for this long drawn out post! I just wanted to get the whole story out there. TIA x

We have all been there, when you start out in business its hard to turn these clients away however as I'm sure you've already sussed, any client that immediately asks for discounts is normally not worth taking on. If in the future you do decide to book her back in, tell her the price before hand. So reply I have you booked in Wednesday at 2pm for Gel manicure and pedicure and that will be €60 etc , if she questions the price, tell her all introductory offers are now over and that is the price going forward would she still like the appointment?

Another thing you need to change is apologising for her nails peeling off. This was not your fault. This was entirely her fault, she did not follow the aftercare that you told her. By apologising you are accepting the fault as your own. If a client contacted me like this, I would say in my sweetest voice. Oh thats a pity, as i told you at your appointment that can happen with sunscreen, unfortunately you've learnt it the hard way but at least you will remember in future (insert cheesy laugh here) LOL , keep it light hearted , keep your tone sweet and don't get defensive. Written aftercare is a must, because a client will always deny that you told them (probably because it goes it one ear and out the other), when you have given her written aftercare there is not denying it, if she didn't read it that is on her, not on you.

Also once my clients leave the salon there nails are no longer guaranteed , who knows what clients do when there at home. In all honesty I do repairs ever now and again for good clients that i feel are genuine and i don't charge them, but they don't take the mick either. Clients that come back will all of them peeled off (yeah right, these were helped off no doubt in my mind) are just looking for a free set after there holidays when funds are tight.

As for contacting you out of hours by email at late at night, You do not need to reply to her immediately. You can also not blame her for contacted you by email late at night. It's up to you when you reply to her and going forward I would just stick to normal working hours to reply to these sort of messages.

This is the world of business my darling, You could get rid of her and save your self the hassle, or you could bite your tongue , don't budge on price and don't let her take you for a ride either…. I know i would feel better about taking her money than sacking her but thats just me. Theres not a nail tech / beautician / hairdresser on this site that hasn't come across clients like this, she may your first but she certainly won't be your last so my advice is to toughen up take her money and learn to deal with clients like this effectively. It will serve you well in the future :)

I think when it's keeping you awake at night, they've got to go.agree with KHS

I agree, she's not worth keeping you awake at night. Be fully booked for a while I'd say! Good luck xx

Latest posts

Back