how do I soak off gel?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

christinarena

Reaction score
Hi,
I have recently qualified in acrylic nail extensions and luckily one of my regular beauty clients has asked me to do her a full set (bit scared but its good practice i guess!) However, she said she currently had gel extensions on (she doesnt know what type as it was a present off her friend) and wants me to take them off first.

Can anyone advise me how to do this? Is it the same as for acrylic (acetone) or is a different method used? I dont even know if I should do it yet, unless it is the same method.

I would relly appreciate your help, I have said I will call her tomorrow and let her know.

Thanks x

If the Gel she has is a soak of Gel, then yes you would soak off as you do L&P (although I believe that it is quicker to soak off than L&P)

However not all Gels will soak off, some are file off.

TBH if it were me and the Gel nails are still adhered well to the nail, I would thin out the enhancement and then re-balance with L&P

hth's

Great, I wasnt aware you can mix the two. Thanks x

How much gel to I buff off, is it just like an infill or do I thin the whole nail to the tip?

I agree with Hope, if there is no lifting or it is minimal, file down the gel all over, and do a complete rebalance as you would your usual clients. you should be able to tell if its a soak off or buff off once your start to file as the soak off gels are more rubbery and will likely tear when you file,whereas the file offs will be more like L&P to file.

Latest posts

Back