How do I tell them?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rachybaby

Reaction score
I moved my business to home 7 months ago from a local salon, all my clients followed including three of the staff. Whilst I was renting there I only charged the staff for the cost of my products. My thinking was that if the clients see the staff with them on, they usually want them too.

The three staff that followed me have carried on paying for just the cost, taking my valued appointment time and I want to tell them that if they want to carry on coming they will have to start paying full price.

How do I do it? I am a soft touch when it comes to things like this, as I know the girls dont earn much.

Does anyone else have clients they do cheap?

Whenever I trained in something new I used to ask the girls at the shop if they would let me practice on them for free. Sometimes they would ask if I need any more practice on something ie they are going on a night out and want a nice free set of nails. I would politely say no it's ok thanks I'm fully trained in that area now. If you let them, people will try to get a freebie/special offer whenever they can.
You have to bear in mind that you are losing money if they are taking up your appointment times.
I learnt this the hard way and have had to tell the girls at work now that I don't do staff discounts for spraytans either.
I know I may sound a bit harsh but this a business and not a charity.
Word it nicely and just let them know it's due to "cutbacks", if they like what you do I'm sure they won't mind paying the going rate. x

I am probably as bad as you but I am trying to be a better business woman.

How about explaining to them how busy you are getting and that however much you would love to continue giving them nails at the cheap price, you really don't have any choice but to increase your charges to the same as other clients. Say it is all part of you tweaking your business skills, the overheads involved in running your salon from home and the fact that it is hard to justify your time if you slot in so many cheap appointments.

If they want your services, they should be happy to pay the going rate. If not, they don't deserve to get their nails done by you. You will certainly find out how much they value your services.

It's true. Don't sell yourself short, and/or cheat yourself of additional clients if the staff is taking spots that new clients could fill.

Explain to them that you thank them for being so generous and patient and for letting you practice on them. That in future, should you like to try something new, they'll be the first people you ask. However, that now your skills are up to par, that you can no longer do the work for free and that you wish to be paid for your time and skills just as they are.

If they dont understand it, their loss and you will soon fill the time slots with paying customers. If they do.. then everyone's happy.

Either way, you need to earn money for your skills to pay for the invested time and education and perhaps save up for further education if that's your goal.

Good luck! Touchy situation, I know :-(

:hug:

I charge friends & family half price and whilst I dont want to MAKE money out of friends & family I dont want to lose out on an appointment time where I would be making the full amount.

So, do we tell them we dont want to do them or do we charge the full amount??

Its a tricky & uncomfortable situation...but tbh I wouldnt expect anyone to charge ME less...why should they? they have a living to make.

oh its so difficult, would texting them be rude?

I hate telling clients I have put the price up. But you could actually do it in a letter sealed in an envelope explaining that whilst they have enjoyed discounted nails in the past that because of time issues it is not cost effective for the business to be providing such discounts and that as of blah blah date regretably the prices will have to return to £xxx and that a 10 - 15% staff discount will still apply.

You cant say fairer than that, they may be huffed but crikey where on earth can you get nails done for the cost of the product?

oh its so difficult, would texting them be rude?
Aww mate try to do it face to face if you can, sometimes texting can be taken the wrong way. Believe me, if I can do it, you can:hug:

You might find that rather than them being offended that you expect them to pay more that they are embaressed because they'll think they've been being cheap. The worse thing they will say is no and not bother anymore but thatll leave the time for some paying customers so all will be well in the end!

your right Louiser, what can they say? I thought I'd tell them with Christmas coming up spaces in my book are rare and I cannot turn away full paying clients for a fiver!

Thanks all.

your right Louiser, what can they say? I thought I'd tell them with Christmas coming up spaces in my book are rare and I cannot turn away full paying clients for a fiver!

Thanks all.
Sounds just right to me, I wouldn't feel offended at that and if I still wanted them done at my convenience I'd pay.:)

I think this is a tough one but what you have to remember is that they do not work with you anymore. Your business is now seperate to theirs so they should be expecting to pay more for your treatments.
I understand that they were a business oppurtunity while you worked there but now they are your clients just like the rest. Maybe next time you do there nails you should say "I will charge you the normal rate for your nails today but next time I will have to charge my going rate of £xx to cover costs". At least that way if they book another appointment they are willing to pay, and if not, you are still not losing anything as another client can be booked in.
Hope that helps and good luck with it!!

Hi there

One alternative is to keep them as friends/family/mates rates. Let them know that you are getting more calls & have to schedual their appointments around those. After working aorund you for couple of times they may deciede to bite the bullet & say Ill just pay & put me in when I need!?*# Maybe.....

Set aside a morning- afternoon or evening for them as the word about your nails in the salon helps you - Way the cost of advertising as opposed to the girls having your work on display.Xmas is on its way - No doubt they will be busy also.
They should remember as well what it was like when they started - How many of the same clients have they offloaded due to them not wanting to pay when their skills had improved! Salon included.
OR
Suggest that for every 3? clients they recommend to you their service is dicounted. Make them work a bit for it.A client loyalty card maybe.

We start these great deals in the beginning & end up with a ball & chain unless an alternative is reached. Hope you get there & still all in tact.

XX J XX

Do you think the staff are coming to you because your cheap or is it that you produce a really good set?

If it's the latter, then they will still remain your clients when the price goes up as I sure there's other cheap places they could be going to. If they decide not to attend appointments at the normail price then you'll have 3 new spaces for full-payment clients.

I would explain it to them them on the next appointment. A smile and and a bit of banter can help get your point across.

HTH.

I started charging half the normal price when i first started out but i have only just put my prices. I charge new price for new clients and same old cheap price for old clients. I want to keep my clients happy and they know they are getting a gret deal. New clients are still getting a good price, i charge $5-$20 less than salons.
The more regular my clients become the better they get treated. But hey thats not to say i dont treat new clients well. My main focus is keeping regular clients.

Bloss

yeah tell 'em your full and cant do them cos the 'proper full paying' clients takes priority! LOL
They'll soon get the hint.. Goodluck. xx:hug:

Latest posts

Back