How do you know if nails are oily?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moushax37

Reaction score
I've seen a few posts about the cause of lifting possibly being oily nail beds, but how do you know? And how are they treated before l & p application?

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using SalonGeek

I've seen a few posts about the cause of lifting possibly being oily nail beds, but how do you know? And how are they treated before l & p application?

Found this online...

Oily Nail Plate

Some people have the problem of their nail plate being too oily, just like their hair or skin. This can lead to problems with their polish staying on because the oil is lifting the base coat off the nail. Some technicians believe the dryer the nail plate, the better the polish will adhere and so they over use product and end up over drying the nail.

If the nail plate is stripped of moisture it will trigger the production of more oil, which will only make the problem worse. Plus over drying the natural nail will make it brittle and more prone to breakage as well as flaking, which will cause the polish to flake. The best solution for an oily nail plate is to clean off the nail plate before polishing without over drying it by using an acetone based polish remover. In addition a base coat that can adjust for moisture and bend with the natural nail will adhere best and be less prone to lifting.

I have an oily nail plate, it's very shiny in appearance and Gel nails last an hour before they ping off...

Not had a problem with Shellac as I nailfresh and scrubfresh and those two have really helped me.

Hi, I've had a couple of lifting clients & found if I double deyhdrate the problem goes away hth x

Found this online...

Oily Nail Plate

Some people have the problem of their nail plate being too oily, just like their hair or skin. This can lead to problems with their polish staying on because the oil is lifting the base coat off the nail. Some technicians believe the dryer the nail plate, the better the polish will adhere and so they over use product and end up over drying the nail.

If the nail plate is stripped of moisture it will trigger the production of more oil, which will only make the problem worse. Plus over drying the natural nail will make it brittle and more prone to breakage as well as flaking, which will cause the polish to flake. The best solution for an oily nail plate is to clean off the nail plate before polishing without over drying it by using an acetone based polish remover. In addition a base coat that can adjust for moisture and bend with the natural nail will adhere best and be less prone to lifting.

Did the article mention how the nail plate will produce this oil? Oil is produced in the sebaceous glands. The nail plate does not have a sebaceous gland so where does the oil come from? The palms of the hands, soles of the feet and the eyelids do not have a sebaceous gland either and do not produce oil either.

Where did you find the article and who was the author?

Did the article mention how the nail plate will produce this oil? Oil is produced in the sebaceous glands. The nail plate does not have a sebaceous gland so where does the oil come from? The palms of the hands, soles of the feet and the eyelids do not have a sebaceous gland either and do not produce oil either.

Everything I've ever read on here says that oily nail plates are a myth.

Interesting to learn that eyelids have no sebaceous glands, because I do get oily eyelids. Even long lasting eyeliner smudges off me!

Last edited:
The nail does not have oil glands, so yes it's an incorrect saying.

I don't know the exact science behind it but I would think if people feel they have oily nails, it's because the oil bleeds onto the nail from surrounding skin maybe and the same for eye lids.
Each time you wipe your eye/face, you would be rubbing oil from other areas into the eye area.

I just found it on google last night thats all it said...

But

ANSWER: There's not really such a thing as "oily nailbeds." Since your fingernails (and toenails) do not have sebaceous glands, they can't sweat, which means they don't release oils. Any oil on the nail bed gets there from somewhere else. So could this be the answer?

Eccrine sweat glands are exocrine glands distributed over the entire body surface but are particularly abundant on the palms of hands, soles of feet, and on the forehead. These produce sweat that is composed chiefly of water (99%) with various salts. The primary function is body temperature regulation.
Eccrine sweat glands are coiled tubular glands derived leading directly to the most superficial layer of the epidermis (out layer of skin) but extending into the inner layer of the skin (dermis layer). They are distributed over almost the entire surface of the body in humans and many other species, but are lacking in some marine and fur-bearing species. The sweat glands are controlled by sympathetic cholinergic nerves which are controlled by a center in the hypothalamus. The hypothalamus senses core temperature directly, and also has input from temperature receptors in the skin and modifies the sweat output, along with other thermoregulatory processes.
Human eccrine sweat is composed chiefly of water with various salts and organic compounds in solution. It contains minute amounts of fatty materials, urea, and other wastes. The concentration of sodium varies from 35–65 mmol/l and is lower in people acclimatised to a hot environment. The sweat of other species generally differ in composition.

It's true that the oil could transfer onto the nail plate from the surrounding skin (although I have very very oily skin on my face/scalp but not on the rest of my body at all). Once you have prepped the nail and removed all oil/contaminants from the nail plate and applied your enhancement product or polish the nail plate would then be protected/covered and no oil from other parts of the body would be able to get to it so that could not be a potential cause of lifting.

Katelisa, it is interesting because my eyelids get very oily too, eye makeup is lucky to last a few hours but I think it may be a bit of sweat mixed with oil from the rest of my face. I think that the lack of sebaceous glands is just on the very bottom eyelid below the crease and just under the eye though, the upper eyelid area and brow I think do have sebaceous glands so the oil must come from this area.

Latest posts

Back