How do you know when you're a good nail tech?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bella_nails

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

When you have done your training, when is the best time and when do you know that you are good nail tech?
i know it comes with practice, but after your training, your out there on your own, what happened when you come across problems, because its not good for you to do a set of nails on a client and they keep falling off or lifting etc.

hope everyone is well, and Merry Xmas to you all.

xxx

One sign that you're a good nail tech is if you are able to develop a large and loyal client base. And of course this happens over time, and unless you're very lucky it'll take a few years to reach that point. A nail tech may be very talented but it does take a lot of practice before you become really good.

Don't worry about coming across problems when your working on your own because it's part of the learning process. Each time you encounter a new problem and manage to solve it, you become better because next time you'll know exactly what to do.

I guess this depends on how you determine what a 'good nail tech' is defined by.

Do you mean, simply able to do enhancements without experiencing lift?
Do you mean a tech trained in multiple systems?
do you mean a tech that achieves perfectly shaped nails every single set she/he does?

How do YOU define 'good'..... and then I guess we can better answer that question :wink2:

I personally think I'm only "passable".
My clients do not experience lift... the shape is ummm "OK" in my eyes. Could be loads better. SCulpting needs to improve, and I don't use tips anymore.... so should improve soon. My art is interesting enough for now.
I only know 2 systems: dip & uv gels. I want to learn L&P, then wraps.
I want to work faster.. and do a set in 1hr or 1hr 15, with fills done in 45, as opposed to 2hrs.....

I want a FULL client book where I have to look 2wks ahead or more to find a space for someone.

To me, that's GOOD.

hth's

You could advertise for clients but make them aware that you are newly qualified and charge a reduced rate this way they wont expect the world and your covering your costs and getting the practise in that you will need, you will get better and more confident with each set you do.
As for problems that you will come across, you learn as you go why these things are happening and how to remedy them or you can usually do a search on here and find your answer, if not just ask and someone will be able to solve the problem for you and remember the client has to do their bit at looking after them aswell and they rarely admit to been wrong (bless em) and this can make you feel bad when its not actually your fault, oh yes and make sure your insured before doing the public :hug:

Hi caz... good one

I have just had a period where I flt like a big suck a.... loser of a tech, because I was tweaking a lot of things and therefore thrown a bit off my routine... which IMO has made me a better tech!
I also listen to my clients some, and when I get alot of positive feed back from my really loyal costumers, who aren't afraid to tell me if they are unhappy with something, I feel like I'm doing good.

Something that has heightened my selfesteam is seeing other peoples work, and seeing their flaws... when I can see that and know how to correct it, I feel like a good tech. When I look at pics of my work from a year ago and can see a difference I know I'm a better tech than a year ago!

My point is that I think like everything that it is relative, and as long as you do the best you can, never compromise and don't let clients out the door with flaws you know and could have corrected, you are honest and professional.
You will always be better compared to some, and not as good as compared to others! But if you keep at it, and keep training you will always be better than you were.

The first time I felt like a good tech was the first time I had a client call and book a time that was not friend, family or etc. but a complete stranger who had seen my nails on a client and wanted my nails instead of her old techs because she liked mine better :)... The feeling comes and goes though lol

thanks guys,
when i mean a good nail tech i mean to do a set of nails, and for them to be perfect, with no problems etc. i know client base will come with time, but if you have problems to start them you client base isnt going to grow as quick as i possibly could, because alot of it is word about mouth.

i just want to be able to do a set of nails and not have any probs. im learning acrylics at the end of Jan, and at the mo i only do UV Gel.

one problem that i seem to have everytime i apply the gel, it runs down the side walls, how can i stop this? i have tried applying a thinner layer of gel, but it still seems to happen, and also the gel lifts from the nail only a few days after the nails have been done, and some break off. ive tried everything...and also had advise from other geeks, ive tried using a different gel, bonder, nail prep etc.

Use the bonder appropriate to the system.
Use less gel, and flash cure after each finger (5-10seconds) under the lamp.
When all the nails are done, then put back under the lamp for the full cure time.
Flashing them will help hold the product in place whilst you apply gel to the next.

Prep is MUCHO IMPORTANT. We often think we're doing a decent prep in the beginning, but soon learn to get better.
Also, be sure to file the sidewalls and cuticle area flush so that no product is touching skin anywhere.

Hth's

How is your prep? try to describe exactly what you are doing?
More often than not the problem lies there somewhere, and sometimes it helps to view it with others eyes!

Are you shure you are thorough enough when removing cuticle? where are the lifts... back, sidewalls...?

No matter how long you hav been doing nails you have the risk of running into the occational problem. Doing 110% problem free nails 110% of the time is not being good... it's being supr human :)

Correct me geeks if I'm the only one not doing perfect nails 110% of the time!

Correct me geeks if I'm the only one not doing perfect nails 110% of the time!

Hmmm can't correct ya.
I'm not an automaton either. :wink2:

my prep

i santize clients hands, and also mine, and also all tools im about to use.
i then use my dual tool and push the cuticles back, and remove any that has been left on the nail plate.
use the white block and buff the nail plate to take away the shine
remove any dust etc with nail prep solution
then im ready to start with the rest.

am i doing something wrong? what is it?
the gel usually lifts from the cuticle area and/or from the side walls

am i doing something wrong? what is it?
the gel usually lifts from the cuticle area and/or from the side walls
I would say that you'd get a more thorough prep if you used a professional cuticle remover to remove the non-living tissue from the nailplate instead of doing a totally dry prep.
You need to make sure you remove ALL non-living tissue as leaving it behind causes lifting.
Also, ensure that you don't get any soft tissue contact with your gel.
Which brand do you use as they're all different?

Do you use cuticle remover? Removing the cuticle "dry" can be difficult. Cuticle is invisible on the nail and can cover the nail quite further down than you think! It is stuck pretty god to the nail so if you don't use a cuticle remover I would bet you could see improvemeents if you got one :)

You say your gel is running! I'm a l&p gal my self but I know enough that if the product is touching skin it will lift.

As victoria is saying flushing the product is importent, but even if you remove it by filing efterwards, the fact that it has touched can be a problem!

Vic wrote to flash cure... that sound nifty :) With L&P I use a dotting tool and run it all aroungd the edge if I have touching....That makes a small gap, and so I'm sure that problem is out of the way....

Does that work with gel vic ?

Oh hun. what system are you using?

Lifting occures when there is something stopping the product to adhere 100%.So check that you remove all non living tissue...use a cuticle remover to help you with this, also metal tools should never be used on a dry nail, remove non living tissue, remove the remaining cuticle remover with a lint free pad soaked in some water. Make sure the nail is dry, remove the shine with a soft buffer, going only once in the direction of nail growth.Brush of the dust with a dusting brush. Then use the recommended sanitising procucts for your system. Don't overload your brush with gel on your first basing layer,less is more....work the gel into the nail,then cure, then proceed to your next step and build your nail structure aso. Follow your system instructions, some vary from others, every system has it's one recommendations for use.... ...
Which Gel system are you using? Who did you train with, maybe your trainer can help you some more too??

As victoria is saying flushing the product is importent, but even if you remove it by filing efterwards, the fact that it has touched can be a problem!

Vic wrote to flash cure... that sound nifty :) With L&P I use a dotting tool and run it all aroungd the edge if I have touching....That makes a small gap, and so I'm sure that problem is out of the way....

Does that work with gel vic ?

Oh hun. what system are you using?

Yes, I use uv gel.. and in the beginning, I used a dotting tool to make sure I wasn't touching the cuticle. I mentioned this recently in a thread to help someone else figure how big of a space they needed to leave between the product and the cuticle.

Yes "Flash" curing freezes the gel from running or moving, until you're reading to do the full cure. It's still 'soft' and not cured... but will sit still and stop running.

Yup, as mentioned, use a product meant to aid in removing cuticles.
I use "Cuticle Eliminator" with great success.
There are other brands producing similar great cuticle removers. Have a look around.

And as already said, you need to be sure that A)product does not touch the skin anywhere at all, not even the tiniest bit. B) you need to be sure to have removed all the tissue.

hths'

Latest posts

Back