How does Shrinking Violet work?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know anything about SV so I can't comment on it in particular, but I think the Universal Contour Wrap type treatments are a con as they don't guarantee your inch loss unless you follow a healthy diet and do light exercise etc - in other words, change your lifestyle and go on a diet! I think they probably do work for some people, but purely as a placebo.

As I say, I don't know about SV as inch loss wraps are not my thing.

Yes I saw the Tibby Oliver crew, not sure if it's spelt right... Advertising the new shrink wrap spray tan, saying that it wraps around you and you physically loose inches....we know it's not possible it comes out of a gun! Why pay 8k for lipo...

I laughed and thought, you are going to get in trouble for these claims..

Wow that sounds fab! Maybe if we round up all the obese people, ask them to strip off, then spray it out of a plane (one of those ones they use for forest fires) then we could cure the obesity epidemic in one fell swoop?!

Whatever next :lol: :lol:

Is this thread to answer the OPs question? Or to take the mickey out of companies and their treatments?

Sent from my SM-G900F using SalonGeek mobile app

O.k. How about you give me the link to the independent clinical trial to prove me wrong. Who undertook the trial? My client who is a professor in biology at our local university would like to see this paper, and so would I. I read her your claim about the Lipolysis.

"It works by Lipolysis, the active ingredient in the oil is attracted to the fat cell, piercing it and breaking down inside the fat cell where triglycerides are changed to free fatty acids so it can be excreted and transported to the lymph vessels for disposal by the body. That is where it goes and it is not fluid loss."

A topical treatment cannot pierce a fat cell. What a load of utter rubbish.

She is highly amused. Please advise of where it is published.

Last edited:
I asked for this as well mobile manicure; but was never given it.

I asked for this as well mobile manicure; but was never given it.

No, funny that.

It really winds me up when companies make false medical claims like this. Just google "fat cells" and it tells you how they work. This company has not suddenly devised a way of piercing a fat cell by using an ointment. It's craziness and somewhat dangerous. I'm sure (but not 100%) that they got in trouble for this claim in the past. I'm off to do some research.

For the final time. We have NOT been in trouble for anything we DO have independent clinical trials which prove how it works beyond a shadow of a doubt. It is quite frankly libelous to say we are making false claims on a public forum too !! We take that very seriously. It is NOT an ointment ! You obviously have NO idea what you are talking about to even say that and YES we have devised a way of doing JUST THAT !!!

You seem intent on stirring up some kind of trouble on here without even bothering to get your facts straight before making these ludicrous comments.

Last edited:
This is not meant to be an attack in any way...just a debate point....

I asked on another thread and was shot down....but being that the fat cells are between 3 & 5 mm down in the skin and anything that penetrates more than 0.5mm needs a medical license and therefor a medical qualified individual to apply it (usually with needles) I can't get it either.
Yes Lipolysis is a thing and yes the active ingredient is a real ingredient etc but being applied as an emulsified dilution it's got a long way to go to attach to any cells before affecting its metabolism and being "eliminated"

I also read I a interesting article about the "raisin" effect in fat cells being a symptom of a deficiency? But I can't find it now.

I found this interesting...
http://personalcaretruth.com/2012/07/penetration-of-cosmetic-ingredients/
And this ...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transdermal

I for one need more proof before I offer it in the salon, too many questions. I base my transdermal knowledge on permanent make up and mesotherapy, and how the products are delivered and how they act in the skin due to their molecular size, who knows, maybe I'm wrong, but I need to know why....so just asking X

For the final time. We have NOT been in trouble for anything we DO have independent clinical trials which prove how it works beyond a shadow of a doubt. It is quite frankly libelous to say we are making false claims on a public forum too !! We take that very seriously. It is NOT an ointment ! You obviously have NO idea what you are talking about to even say that and YES we have devised a way of doing JUST THAT !!!

You seem intent on stirring up some kind of trouble on here without even bothering to get your facts straight before making these ludicrous comments.

Why don't you stop shouting at us and actually provide us with the medical evidence and results of the independent clinical trials? Where is the paperwork? And I'm not talking adverts. We want proof. Just a link will do. I don't think its unreasonable to be asking for this. Then we can make an informed judgement.

I would like to see the clinical trial too as I am not clear how shrinking violet works - as per the op's original question.

Why don't you stop shouting at us and actually provide us with the medical evidence and results of the independent clinical trials? Where is the paperwork? And I'm not talking adverts. We want proof. Just a link will do. I don't think its unreasonable to be asking for this. Then we can make an informed judgement.

There is no clinical trial, with diet & exercise yes😊😊😊 you people are like me (read my other post) people are just being duped, no trial.

There is no clinical trial, with diet & exercise yes������ you people are like me (read my other post) people are just being duped, no trial.

I did read your other post. I don't like dishonesty in the industry either. I don't make unrealistic claims about the products I use.

However, there must be an independent clinical trial because Moosebat has stated this several times. I would just like to see the results of this trial. Where was the trial held? How many participants took part? When was the trial? Which organisation did the trial? What were the results? Simple questions that should be easy to answer by someone who seems to know so much about the clinical trial. No point in banging on about a clinical trial if you have no evidence of it......we'll give you a chance right here Moosebat to prove us wrong.

I hope I'm wrong, because if I am, I'm going to the nearest salon who provides this treatment to sign up for a course of it. :D

With diet and exercise I could just wrap myself in cat poop and lose weight, or inches, or whatever you want to call it. In fact, cat poop might work better as it would certainly curb my appetite.

During my afternoon of research I found this article:
(the Naked Scientists - The University of Cambridge)

Rather than testing the procedure out in the office, as my boss suggests, instead I turn to Dr Stephen O’Rahilly, Director of the Metabolic Research Laboratories at Cambridge University and Professor Steven Bloom from Imperial College London.

" Firstly, shrinking violet body wraps won't work. Lipolysis which is the breakdown of triglycerides and fat to its constituent free fatty acids and glycerol is a highly controlled and sophisticated biochemical process, and no amount of wrapping will induce this to occur in the fat cells.

Secondly, if it did work, it would actually be dangerous. The reason our bodies have all the fat cells was to make a relatively safe place to store excess energy and a place for much energy to be released during times when food is scarce. If we suddenly release a large amount of fat from our fat cells, it would have to go somewhere. We know this is very bad news because patients who, for genetic or other reasons can't make adequate number of fat cells develop severe metabolic side effects including diabetes, pancreatitis, cirrhosis of the liver, all as a result of this toxic fat going somewhere where it shouldn’t be out of fat cells and into other tissues. So, not only is this idea nonsense, it’s potentially dangerous nonsense."

During my afternoon of research I found this article:
(the Naked Scientists - The University of Cambridge)

Rather than testing the procedure out in the office, as my boss suggests, instead I turn to Dr Stephen O’Rahilly, Director of the Metabolic Research Laboratories at Cambridge University and Professor Steven Bloom from Imperial College London.

" Firstly, shrinking violet body wraps won't work. Lipolysis which is the breakdown of triglycerides and fat to its constituent free fatty acids and glycerol is a highly controlled and sophisticated biochemical process, and no amount of wrapping will induce this to occur in the fat cells.

Secondly, if it did work, it would actually be dangerous. The reason our bodies have all the fat cells was to make a relatively safe place to store excess energy and a place for much energy to be released during times when food is scarce. If we suddenly release a large amount of fat from our fat cells, it would have to go somewhere. We know this is very bad news because patients who, for genetic or other reasons can't make adequate number of fat cells develop severe metabolic side effects including diabetes, pancreatitis, cirrhosis of the liver, all as a result of this toxic fat going somewhere where it shouldn’t be out of fat cells and into other tissues. So, not only is this idea nonsense, it’s potentially dangerous nonsense."

That was the article I couldn't find earlier lol

On another note....students in the college I'm in were supposed to be doing their training soon...uptake was slow as it was quite expensive for the students, so the lecturers were emailed numerous times about these clinical trials, they were just completed, or just being typed up etc etc....they never came.

I am not saying this was an official TO trainer, or affiliated, thought they led the students to believe they were, but anyway, my point is it was very much a selling point, pressure even to point out it was fat not fluid being removed. So the original question of how it works still stands as we all want to know.

Tuning in out of interest.
I have been considering adding shrinking violet for months now, but judging by this thread I'm glad I've kept hold of my hard earned pennies!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using SalonGeek mobile app

I think any reputable company should explain how their products work, give access to any clinical data and trials and reveal their list of ingredients.
If they don't then I would steer well clear.

i was keen to add shrinking violet a while back but am also interested to see the report on clinical trials. Are we going to get one??! X

i was keen to add shrinking violet a while back but am also interested to see the report on clinical trials. Are we going to get one??! X

Doubt it. Just proves my point.

Latest posts

Back