How does Shrinking Violet work?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also following............

Hi there everyone
I havnt used shrinking violet so unlike a lot of members on here I don't have experience of the results it delivers I'm not going to post about the treatments I preform myself but I have a lot of experience in product development and working as a consultant for skincare company's
Some of the points on here regarding transdermal penetration can be understood perhaps a little more by reading an article by dr hans lautensclager on nano particle ingredients in skincare he has a very clear way of explaining phospholipids and there roll in delivering transdermal actives
As far as transdermal products needing medical drug licensing this is only applicable if the actives being delivered are in fact classed as drugs for instance vasoconstrictors or opiates for pain relief
Thermogenesis ingredients are not regulated by the gmc either
Most of the companies I've worked for do not release clinical study report details only statistics of the results for topical skincare preparations ,only patented iso certified machinery such as lasers
I believe company's don't release this data because it leaves industry leaders open to copycat companies some details are company confidential that is not unusual at all
Unless your developing a unique raw active that is not yet on lab roles
Patent on skincare mixes is impossible
Cosmetics are exactly that and lots are extremely effective ,think about deodorant and how transdermal that is !!!! Still not a medical device

There has been a clinical trial but it hasn't been released yet. The details will soon be available. I'll be sure to post you a link when they do. As for that professor, he didn't have all the details of the product and was asked by Julie-Ann who is Tibby Olivier to come try the product out for himself, which he declined. :)

I noticed that they changed the claims, as the others have said above..I know what it is,and I know what it does not do, I can hold the tape measure a little tighter too😉😉
OMG.... I am all for a healthy debate but JMABEAUTY how dare you insinuate that the results I have been consistently getting for 18 months from Shrinking Violet are as a result of "holding the tape measure a little tighter". How unprofessional of you!!!!
You are within your rights to question the effectiveness of any product but please do not question my professionalism by suggesting I am in the business of lying to my clients. I'm quite sure what you have said is libellous!

OMG.... I am all for a healthy debate but JMABEAUTY how dare you insinuate that the results I have been consistently getting for 18 months from Shrinking Violet are as a result of "holding the tape measure a little tighter". How unprofessional of you!!!!
You are within your rights to question the effectiveness of any product but please do not question my professionalism by suggesting I am in the business of lying to my clients. I'm quite sure what you have said is libellous!

Oh good, so you've been using it on your clients for 18 months? Then you must know how it works. Could you please tell us as we're all jumping to conclusions. No one has given us an honest answer yet. All we seem to get is shouting. :(

Hi there everyone
I havnt used shrinking violet so unlike a lot of members on here I don't have experience of the results it delivers I'm not going to post about the treatments I preform myself but I have a lot of experience in product development and working as a consultant for skincare company's
Some of the points on here regarding transdermal penetration can be understood perhaps a little more by reading an article by dr hans lautensclager on nano particle ingredients in skincare he has a very clear way of explaining phospholipids and there roll in delivering transdermal actives
As far as transdermal products needing medical drug licensing this is only applicable if the actives being delivered are in fact classed as drugs for instance vasoconstrictors or opiates for pain relief
Thermogenesis ingredients are not regulated by the gmc either
Most of the companies I've worked for do not release clinical study report details only statistics of the results for topical skincare preparations ,only patented iso certified machinery such as lasers
I believe company's don't release this data because it leaves industry leaders open to copycat companies some details are company confidential that is not unusual at all
Unless your developing a unique raw active that is not yet on lab roles
Patent on skincare mixes is impossible
Cosmetics are exactly that and lots are extremely effective ,think about deodorant and how transdermal that is !!!! Still not a medical device

Deodorant isn't claiming to travel upto 5mm into the dermal layers of the skin, shrink fat cells and give permanent fat reduction..

Last edited:
Deodorant isn't claiming to travel upto 5mm into the dermal layers of the skin, shrink fat cells and give permanent fat reduction!

It's not "shrinking the fat cells" that they're claiming, but "piercing the fat cells"! Sounds scarier to me.

There are plenty of clinical study's on topical phospholipids for fat reduction and cellulite treatments out there there really not new ingredients for those applications

Oh good, so you've been using it on your clients for 18 months? Then you must know how it works. Could you please tell us as we're all jumping to conclusions. No one has given us an honest answer yet. All we seem to get is shouting. :(
Sorry but I don't have the time or energy to get drawn into this any further. All I will say is that before I take on ANY new product or treatments I fully research it and also try it myself. I have found SV to be a very effective treatment. In fact it is my busiest treatment with consistently good results.
I cannot understand the aggressive nature of some of these posts. If you don't like SV or don't want to offer it... then don't. If you would like further info then contact Tibby Olivier direct rather than posting on here.
Anyway I'm just off to do another wrap....and no I won't be holding the tape measure a bit tighter afterwards....

This is interesting as I was going to post on "Clinical Trials" and everyone's thoughts on having and independant "Which" report on beauty products and treatments ( particularly equipment ).
Will post on that later.
Back to SV.As Aesthetic Queen says it is down to the molecular size of the active ingredients in any product that makes it effectively delivered transdermally.

HRT and NICOTINE Patches have been used effectively for some time now.!

I trained a few months ago with SV I understand lipolysis and particularly the key ingredient "Lecithin" which can be bought in health food shops is a natural ingredient which is digested and used to break down fat. It is also found in eggs. There is an interesting article online a clinical trial on weightloss using lecithin alone no dieting! ( educated the SV trainer on this)!
As for SV I have seen results but nothing remarkable ..... Yet.

Will let you all know.

Deodorant isn't claiming to travel upto 5mm into the dermal layers of the skin, shrink fat cells and give permanent fat reduction..

Certain neurotoxins travel through the lymphatic system absorbed from anti persperants some metal oxides ,my point is plenty of actives are transdermal from a cosmetology point of view it's down to the encapsulation of the actives and also the liposome delivery system ,some bio degrade able liposomes can increase pore width to 40nm which is ample to allow nano particles through ( usually 12-200 nm )

Last edited:
For me it's like this.

If you make claims, you must have evidence.
If you make public claims to sell a product, you must make your evidence public.

You must give people the opportunity to decide whether they are satisfied that the evidence backs up the claim.

Part of the issue here is that many therapists' grasp of the science involved is quite basic. Marketing departments are very slick, and provide product information that sounds plausible, but does not hold up to scientific scrutiny.

To this end I understand how many become brainwashed by product companies, not out of malice, but because they genuinely believe the claims. Of course, there are those who knowingly make false claims, and that is a whole different kettle of fish.

A good piece of advice was once given to me by my microbiology professor: 'remember, you don't know how much you don't know. '

This is not meant to be an attack in any way...just a debate point....

I asked on another thread and was shot down....but being that the fat cells are between 3 & 5 mm down in the skin and anything that penetrates more than 0.5mm needs a medical license and therefor a medical qualified individual to apply it (usually with needles) I can't get it either.
Yes Lipolysis is a thing and yes the active ingredient is a real ingredient etc but being applied as an emulsified dilution it's got a long way to go to attach to any cells before affecting its metabolism and being "eliminated"

I also read I a interesting article about the "raisin" effect in fat cells being a symptom of a deficiency? But I can't find it now.

I found this interesting...
http://personalcaretruth.com/2012/07/penetration-of-cosmetic-ingredients/
And this ...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transdermal

I for one need more proof before I offer it in the salon, too many questions. I base my transdermal knowledge on permanent make up and mesotherapy, and how the products are delivered and how they act in the skin due to their molecular size, who knows, maybe I'm wrong, but I need to know why....so just asking X

You dont need a medical licence to apply topical creams such as ibuprofen which u can buy over the counter to treat pain in the...hmm organs, bones, muscles??? So how can ur comment be true that topical ointment cannot get deep?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

I did read your other post. I don't like dishonesty in the industry either. I don't make unrealistic claims about the products I use.

However, there must be an independent clinical trial because Moosebat has stated this several times. I would just like to see the results of this trial. Where was the trial held? How many participants took part? When was the trial? Which organisation did the trial? What were the results? Simple questions that should be easy to answer by someone who seems to know so much about the clinical trial. No point in banging on about a clinical trial if you have no evidence of it......we'll give you a chance right here Moosebat to prove us wrong.

I hope I'm wrong, because if I am, I'm going to the nearest salon who provides this treatment to sign up for a course of it. :D

With diet and exercise I could just wrap myself in cat poop and lose weight, or inches, or whatever you want to call it. In fact, cat poop might work better as it would certainly curb my appetite.

You are mistaken.
If a client has a wrap without diet and exercise they will still lose inches. But like liposuction (which as u commented is £££) if you were to continue a fatty diet after killing/removing fat cells, new ones will just be created. .
I wrap myself quite often and loose inches even tho I dont diet or exercise...the reason we recommend it os to benefit the client as it will increase their results and help with weight loss.

Final comment - Julie Ann is a scientist and created this product on something that has been around for years.
I really do not know why people get their knickers in such a twist over things they know nothing about.
And as for holding the tape measure tighter...my client yday lost 2.4 inches ofd her hips alone...I think she would notice if I was holding the tape measure THAT much tighter!!!! Ta-rah!!!!

There is no medical proof that it works, it's just a temporary treatment, as test on ALL wraps have proven, people do not understand always what the word temporary means.

The other trick is the lifestyle change that wraps, strawberry lipo and all the other like you to do, drink lots of water, exercise, pull the tape a little tighter when they measure you, it's nothing new.

There is no proven scientific tests, none..

Surely until independent, scientific and credible studies have been published, no claims should be made other than these wraps may make you feel good.

Inches lost does not necessarily equal fat destroyed as it could just be other fluid loss or the temporary effect of compression on the body’s soft tissues.

Medication (such as ibuprofen) can be self-administered or by a qualified health professional. If a beauty therapist was found to be administering medication then the authorities would make mincemeat of them.

If it seems too good to be true then it invariably is not true.

Common sense says if this actually worked it would be front page news the world over. Hospitals would not be performing very high risk gastric bypass surgeries…they would be sending patients to the local beauty salon. Multimillionaires wouldn’t be getting stainless steel rods poked into their butts to have the fat sucked out. Gyms would be deserted.

These things will probably end up on the same pile as those vibrating band things from the 80s that shook the fat off you! Along with those pills advertised in the back of FHM….if the claims made by them were true then I should be tripping over “myself” by now!

For me it's like this.

If you make claims, you must have evidence.
If you make public claims to sell a product, you must make your evidence public.

You must give people the opportunity to decide whether they are satisfied that the evidence backs up the claim.

Part of the issue here is that many therapists' grasp of the science involved is quite basic. Marketing departments are very slick, and provide product information that sounds plausible, but does not hold up to scientific scrutiny.

To this end I understand how many become brainwashed by product companies, not out of malice, but because they genuinely believe the claims. Of course, there are those who knowingly make false claims, and that is a whole different kettle of fish.

A good piece of advice was once given to me by my microbiology professor: 'remember, you don't know how much you don't know. '

In principle you are correct but look how many times L'Oreal has been hauled over the coals for their misrepresentation of the effects of one of their products .
Do you remember Cheryl Cole in one of their ads in fact she had a headful of extensions her thick lustrous locks were not the results of a l'Oreal shampoo!!
Then we had the latest anti ageing cream containing "Boswelox" whatever that wonder ingredient was! We are being misled by manufacturers all the time.

Surely until independent, scientific and credible studies have been published, no claims should be made other than these wraps may make you feel good.

Inches lost does not necessarily equal fat destroyed as it could just be other fluid loss or the temporary effect of compression on the body’s soft tissues.

Medication (such as ibuprofen) can be self-administered or by a qualified health professional. If a beauty therapist was found to be administering medication then the authorities would make mincemeat of them.

If it seems too good to be true then it invariably is not true.

Common sense says if this actually worked it would be front page news the world over. Hospitals would not be performing very high risk gastric bypass surgeries…they would be sending patients to the local beauty salon. Multimillionaires wouldn’t be getting stainless steel rods poked into their butts to have the fat sucked out. Gyms would be deserted.

These things will probably end up on the same pile as those vibrating band things from the 80s that shook the fat off you! Along with those pills advertised in the back of FHM….if the claims made by them were true then I should be tripping over “myself” by now!

Where exactly did I say I would be applying medication to my clients. If you are going to respond then at least read my post properly.
And gastric bands are to stop people eating so much as their current eating habits cause them to become obese. Shrinking violet wraps arent claiming to be a miracle cure for people needing to lose 10 stone!
These responses are becoming rather amusing.

Latest posts

Back