How far up to go with extensions

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Martini-mini

Reaction score
How far up would you go with extensions on the head? I was told to stop just before the head rounds of otherwise you will see the bonds through the head is that right? Also, how many strands should be in an average full head?

Did they not cover this in your training?

You will need around 175-200 bonds 0.8g each. With thick hair you will need to go higher up

Yes, as i said i was told to stop just before the head rounds off or else bonds will be seen. But generally in my experience to fit more than 150 bonds my only option would be to go above the roundess of the head and was just wondering what other extensionists would do!

Thanks cmsuper thats what i have been finding myself, its hard to blend without going further up but im always paranoid that the bonds will show through!

Last edited:
You can go a bit higher at the front/sides, get an extra pack in there but it does depends on the head, you dont need to cram more in if its not needed, but if there's an obvious line another row might be needed,

you dont sound confident, have you done a real head yet? It is different to a dummy head and you'l learn such a lot, just see where it takes you.

Sent from my GT-P3110 using SalonGeek

Yea i have done a few real heads. Its when iv started hearing other people putting in up to 300 1g bonds i just find it hard to imagine where they all fit without being seen xx

I've worked with hair extensions for 11 years, and 300 bonds if 1g is rediculous, you couldn't fit 300 1g into anyone's hair, and even if you could, imagine what an extra 300 g of weight would feel like on your scalp?
Plus if anyone needs 300 1g extensions fitting, it's probably a wig they need
Sorry, but I just don't believe it

I've worked with hair extensions for 11 years, and 300 bonds if 1g is rediculous, you couldn't fit 300 1g into anyone's hair, and even if you could, imagine what an extra 300 g of weight would feel like on your scalp?
Plus if anyone needs 300 1g extensions fitting, it's probably a wig they need
Sorry, but I just don't believe it

I totally agree, when I first started ( many moons ago) they always said 100g was the average for a full head, I usually fit more like 150/60g depending on hair thickness etc but 300g is ridiculous.

to the OP - i find it useful to keep checking if the bonds are going to show by brushing the remaining top layer of hair flat and if it still looks smooth you are ok! If the hair starts looking bumpy with the bonds then you're going a little too high :) needs to look covered when laying flat and in a ponytail, so that's how I check, but you definitely need to go higher with thicker, blunter hair to blend it x

I have seen someone local to me advertising "extra thick hair - 400 bonds" I nearly choked on my tea!! xxx

LOL!

I have seen someone local to me advertising "extra thick hair - 400 bonds" I nearly choked on my tea!! xxx[/QUOTE]

Im glad to hear you say that! I wouldnt imagine 300g of hair bonded to your head would be very comfortable at all!! Even fitting 200 1g strands would be a tight squeeze! Its when i start looking at other peoples facebooks etc saying they fit 300 bonds of 1g i started to question myself!

And yes thats what i actually do is keep checking by dropping the top section down! Uv made me feel better now :) thanks! every head is different not everyone will hold the same amount of strands i suppose! The latest iv saw on facebook is £1 a bond, have as many as u want! Makes me wonder where they get their hair bcoz u wudnt be making much for the amount of time it takes fitting them!

400 bonds haha how big are these girls heads?!! haaa x

400 bonds haha how big are these girls heads?!! haaa x

i know!! or how badly are they being applied! all attached to 3 strands of hair and right up to the parting lol x

I use my comb to figure out how far up the head i can go, hold it at an angle and let the covering hair drop to see if it covers, saves applying the extensions and then having to remove them if they show :)

Thanks for all the pointers :) gd to know im not the only one who is finding this strange!!

I use my comb to figure out how far up the head i can go, hold it at an angle and let the covering hair drop to see if it covers, saves applying the extensions and then having to remove them if they show :)

I do this too :) x

Wow 300 is madness! I don't know where it would all fit unless it was 'Hey Arnolds head' ;)
haha.
I would USUALLY use about 150 of 1.1g :) and go slightly higher round the sides x

Wow 300 is madness! I don't know where it would all fit unless it was 'Hey Arnolds head' ;)
haha.
I would USUALLY use about 150 of 1.1g :) and go slightly higher round the sides x
Lollol

Latest posts

Back