How Impressed Am I??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
nails@42ndstreet said:
I also think there could have been better choice of words in some postings - I appreciate that you can't emulate tone on a discussion board but anyone would think the Carole had been importing weapons of mass destruction and was on trial for it here!

That's exactly how it sounded to me which is why I added my 'Twopenneth worth'!

nails@42ndstreet said:
I have bought from EZ Nails and the Supply Source in the States and have to say that I wasn't aware of all the shipping, freight, duty regs as mentioned above, why would I be I'm a nail technician....Well, I do now though.

I think we've all learned a lot from this thread but I also think there could have been better choice of words in some postings - I appreciate that you can't emulate tone on a discussion board but anyone would think the Carole had been importing weapons of mass destruction and was on trial for it here!

I think this thread should be closed.
hear hear

Um, why would I lock the thread? It seems to have come out to a positive conclusion.
I dont think anyone was personally attacking Carole, I think everyone realises why she did what she did (many would instictively do the same). Fortunately she shared her experience and allowed us to all learn something about the flip side to getting products cheaper overseas.

geeg said:
Go and live in Germany where the technicians pay even more for their products than in the UK. They try to order all the time from the UK. Creative UK will not sell into Germany to these technicians because it is not their territory. It is unethical, it is breaking a contractural agreement, and THAT would be greedy. I would say the greedy ones here are EZnail in the US for trying to grab sales that are not rightfully theirs to makeQUOTE]

Hi, im always amazed at the amount of stuff we as nail techs need to know ie company law, trade implications etc, i never thought when i stared out doing nails that i would end up having to know/be aware of so much extra stuff :eek: !!

so, im surprised at the german tech issue and just wondering if someone can explain to me how you can refuse to sell goods to german techs, I thought that as European Union citizens they are covered (as are UK companies) by EU Law - and the EU Trade Treaty clearly permits EU citzens the freedom to work, travel, and trade goods between member states (even if those goods are already available in their own country) so how can you deny German techs the right to purchase goods from the uk.

does this not contradict EU anti-Competitive laws? I understand that as a distributor you have the right to market/distribute within a certain area but surely once we are talking of within EC borders the customer has the right to decide where they actually purchase the goods from?

anyfeedback would be great, thanks

Here here! If we all by past the UK distributors then there prices would rise!! and we would all hate that

naturalnails said:
I know this will make me very unpopular but I dont think it is fair to be by-passing our UK distributors.

If this becomes the norm then the UK distributors may not feel it viable to carry on with some product lines and then we will lose the benefit of next day services.

What happened to supporting British businesses. At the end of the day, realistically what would this save per set of nails?

Just out of interest; would it bring down the prices if the products were actually made in the UK?

NoticeableNails said:
Just out of interest; would it bring down the prices if the products were actually made in the UK?

More than likely I would think. For all distributors of nail products who distribute for American nail companies (which is the majority barr German gel co's) - we pay very heavily in Customs Tax plus all the other things that go with it.

So if it would be cheaper for the UK nail tech for the products to be made here in the good ol UK, why oh why don't the likes of Creative and Ezflow change the trend and start production in the UK?

i'm with you on this one, i think its seriously unethical for them to charge this sort of dosh then send the starter kit through the regular post when it contains monomer. i have to say i think its a bit much to be having a pop at others for flouting regulations concerning distribution contracts when your own halo is looking somewhat tarnished.
Bodacious said:
Whilst you are sorting stuff out with ezflow can you also say about the fact that they charge far to much p+p for the starter kits that they send out. I was quite cross when the satrter kit came that I was charged inc vat £5.29 postage for a package that cost them 26p to post. When I rang up and complained about the charge they said it was due to a recorded delivery (which it wasnt). even if you take into account the cost of the envelope and packing £5.29 is exsesive. It wasnt a good first impression of CNA as

A) I was not told of a p+p charge when ordering, I was just told about the charge for the kit (which I didnt mind about)

And b) when I rang up to complain somone said they would get back to me about it and they havnt.

I find that a lot of companies over here have a minimum p+p rate which is totally inflexable and I, as a small business am fed up with paying it to subsidise the p+p that isnt charged on larger orders.

There are very few items that could be manufactured in the UK. Things like monomers and polymers would cost a mint to make over here.

Now, I know this was discussed some time go and i am a little late on this thread but today a friend of mine (another nail tech) told me to check out www.eznails.com.

i have just been on out of interest and thought i would copmare some prices. i worked out an order from Creative here (uk) would cost me £72.15 + vat + postage and from eznails it would cost $58.90 (about £32) + postage and any other taxes that you may incur etc.

Now that is a big saving and I wondered if you would still be saving once the tax and posatge was added (you cant get a final price unless you add your card details).

I will not buy from them because of all the reasons discussed on this thread but I can see why its so tempting when it looks like such huge savings.

For example a retention+ 4oz UK £26.20 EZNAILS $15.15
Enamels UK £3.15 EZNAILS $3.00

Plus people also buy from here when they are not Creative trained and want to get their L&P.

These sites should be stopped from selling these items and shipping overseas if they are not supposed to. Unless you read on here it is unlikely you will realise you are doing anything wrong buy buying it and just think "what a bobby bargain"!

I have explained to my friend about extra costs and shipping monomer etc but with these savings i am sure she will still go ahead as will other people (she was told about it by someone else buying from it).

I just read all the posts to this and it amazes me

Maybe some-one can ask one or all of the magazines to write information on these topics.

I don't actually think that any of you meant to seek to personally attack Caroles original post. I think that the replies were written in general because it's possible that a few hundred people will read it and the idea is to make EVERYONE aware of the situation when importing from the US.

The other thing I was going to mention was with regard to p&p on UK orders.
Most suppliers do charge a standard flat rate fee for all orders. The reason is because we as suppliers negotiate a rate with a courier. It costs more when you have to deliver hazardous goods in the first place and not all couriers will even carry hazardous goods. This rate we pay is the rate you pay. Suppliers don't make money from it. When you place a small order, you should really expect to pay the same flat rate and here's why:
Lets say you order £20 worth of products. You want it posted 2nd class to save money.
a) if it's hazardous, you can't send it Royal Mail
b) what about the cost of the labour incurred by the person who had to pick & pack the order & the cost of the packaging products (bubble wrap, jiffy bag..etc)
c) some-one has to be paid to stand in a queue at the post office to send it, which is something you don't normally have to do. The courier just turns up every day to collect

If customers really realised what is involved in sending an order, then they would probably understand. It's a bit like a client asking a mobile Tech to go to her house 10 miles away to fix one broken nail.

I don't necessarily agree either that shipping should be free when you spend over X amount, because the costs have to be paid by some-one somewhere along the line.

Another point to make is that some people don't actually understand how VAT works. Why would you if you aren't VAT registered I suppose?
Basically, it is UK law that we MUST charge 17.5% tax on products and services that we sell. Everybody who lives in the UK pays it, no matter who they are.
When you are a wholesale supplier, you are obliged to show the price excluding VAT and then smaller businesses get annoyed that they have to pay it.
This 17.5% doesn't go in our pocket. It goes to the dreaded taxman. Every penny of it!

Anyway, I think the posts were actually a benefit to a lot of people. It raised some good issues. Go Carole !!

Gina

Loufd said:
geeg said:
Go and live in Germany where the technicians pay even more for their products than in the UK. They try to order all the time from the UK. Creative UK will not sell into Germany to these technicians because it is not their territory. It is unethical, it is breaking a contractural agreement, and THAT would be greedy. I would say the greedy ones here are EZnail in the US for trying to grab sales that are not rightfully theirs to make

Hi, im always amazed at the amount of stuff we as nail techs need to know ie company law, trade implications etc, i never thought when i stared out doing nails that i would end up having to know/be aware of so much extra stuff :eek: !!

so, im surprised at the german tech issue and just wondering if someone can explain to me how you can refuse to sell goods to german techs, I thought that as European Union citizens they are covered (as are UK companies) by EU Law - and the EU Trade Treaty clearly permits EU citzens the freedom to work, travel, and trade goods between member states (even if those goods are already available in their own country) so how can you deny German techs the right to purchase goods from the uk.

does this not contradict EU anti-Competitive laws? I understand that as a distributor you have the right to market/distribute within a certain area but surely once we are talking of within EC borders the customer has the right to decide where they actually purchase the goods from?

anyfeedback would be great, thanks

I know this is an old thread....i started reading this as it was linked from another more recent thread!

it would be interesting to see a reply to this!

Latest posts

Back