How long for 3 models makeup

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

facelashbrow

Reaction score
Hi MUAS

Im organising for a shoot on Sunday and I feel like the timescales are tight. Its tfp for a tog rather than a job. He wants 3 models with 50s style makeup. Assuming they have clean and clear skin how long would you expect this to take you?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

It should around 20/30 mins per person

Id say approx 45min per model give or take. :)

Wouldn't say less that 30min each but depends on what u r doin and how well u want to do it.

As a pro MUA I have had to do multiple models in a sort amount of time and quality of my work has not dropped due to time restrictions.

Depending on your experience etc photographers will expect an experienced MUA to work quicker while still maintaining a high standard of work

The tog wants 3 girls done in 45 minutes, to do what we have planned and to do it well I feel thats really tight but maybe I'm just not experienced enough then.

I think he is being rather unfair in giving you just 45 mins to do 3 people especially as this is tfp!

If he is hiring a studio he have time or cost restrictions which making him as you to do it a short amount of time?

contact him and ask him and say to do your job you need xxx amount of time as you want high quality work to go in to your port.

Also a photographer should only be dictating your time if he is paying you or he has cost restrictions or studio time restrictions

Unfortunately photographers have no comprehension of how long it takes to do a makeup so they often give us stupidly short time slots to work in.

Most photographers are like children they want results NOW!!!!!

That's 15min per model, I'd say hopefully they have great skin so just focus on eyes or lips and keep it simple but effective I.e flicked liner or red lip and dust over with powder after concealing where needed.

The tog wants 3 girls done in 45 minutes, to do what we have planned and to do it well I feel thats really tight but maybe I'm just not experienced enough then.

That's terrible! I'm an MUA and always make sure I email or discuss before hand with the photographer my quality of work and how long I will take to carry out my work. It might be worth emailing him to discuss the shoot further. Remember that your work will be showcased too in his photographs so you want the overall looks to be on point. 15 mins for each model is unrealistic. I've done 3 models before and I've taken 45 mins on one model to do a basic look with hair and make up. while a photographer is shooting her I've carried on work on the other models. I usually outline to the photographers if I feel they are being unrealistic for a TFP shoot and now intend to only take on TFP if it benefits my own portfolio. For example, I had a photographer that wanted to do a simple bridal, a heavy bridal and an Asian bridal look. From experience if I'm doing a bridal properly, a simple bridal I will take my time on and will take up to an hour and half. An Asian bridal takes me up to 3 hours because they are quite heavy looks and the hair is always a high bun with detailing, beautiful headpiece jewellery and then their "Dupatta" setting which is the colourful and very heavy vale like material. I told the photographer in the nicest and most professional way possible that whether TFP or not I take my work very seriously and take pride in the quality of my work therefore I would need to know how many models will be used on the day, whether or not they have clear skin, what looks are to be achieved and if images of the models can be sent prior to the shoot so i can get a feel of what will work for them. this will then help me to organise the timescales on average for each model. just because it's a TFP shoot doesn't mean they can call the shots! I've had bad experiences with photographers so I ensure the ball is always on my court now and whether it's going to be worth my while.

Hope this helps.

x ProjectPretty x

Latest posts

Back