How long should it take?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alice palace

Reaction score
Hi everyone, i am starting a new job next week and i am a little worried, i have only been qualified for a month and although i have practiseda lot , a set seems to take me a long time and i cant seem to getthe time down.A new acrylic set takes me around 2 hours and a rebalance seems to take around the same time! I really hate doing rebalances and have not ahd much practise.

At thesalon i am starting work at di not mention any time scale or ask how quick i was but just wondered what an exceptable ti,e is? Ive talked to other nail techs and they do a full new set in 45 mins, how is that possible?!!!

Erm... is that with skipping vital prep?!

nope, dont think so

two hours isnt bad at all!I would say its much better to take a little longer , and know that you have prepped thouroughly and done everything as good as you can than try to get it all done in under an hour , that would almost certainly mean skipping vital prepping and other bits which in turn , will lead to much more work needing to be done on the clients return appointment. you are doing well so keep at it , try not to worry about your timings too much as they will come down with practice hth xx xx

I have only just qualified myself and am pretty pleased with my 2 hours. I really wouldn't worry. It will come to us both eventually!

I would have been chuffed to bits if I could have done a full set in 2 hours within a month I used to take nearer 3-4 hours so I think you are doing really well.:hug:

I also practised loads (my poor sister can vouch for that) and have just started doing paying clients and I still take about 1 1/2 to 2 hours,.... the same with rebalances, which like you I really hated but I have taken loads of tips from the tutorials and threads on rebalances etc on here which are great and have lots of tips that have helped me.

Sounds to me like you are doing really well, I'm sure we will all get our times down a bit with experience.

Good luck in your new job

45 mins..... i bet thats how long they last afterwards too.... sorry i will put my claws back in..... miaw!!!!!!
even the best techs will take at least an hour... and that depends on if they are tipping or sculpting! i think 2 hours after only doing them for a little while is good. although from an employers point of view 2 hours is not very profitable, i would much prefer you to do a good set and take two hours than to skip or rush preperation and have them lifting within days! your infill shouldnt really take that long though.
i give 1 1/2 hours for a set and 1 hour for a fill, this also allows time to set up and pack away. your new employer will be totally aware that you may be a little slower in the begining.. dont worry and good luck....:hug:

Maybe your new colleague uses an electric file? This may also reduce the time needed to place a new set...but I have to agree with the replies above: 45 minutes is too fast, that can be no quality set of nails!
Just believe in yourself, you got the job because your employer has confidence in you and you will speed up in time when you get a lot of practice and more routine in your work. Wait 'n see!

Just do your best concerntrate on what you've been taught don't be pressured by other tech's and there timings. The salon i work at there are only 2 of us the boss always says oh ++++ will be able to do a full set in an hour ,your not up to that speed yet! I just laugh mine take 1 1/2 have no problem with that but what i will say the nails the other girl does the clients always have lifting and the rebalance's are a nightmare but hey mine are ok .

Good things take time...a good set of nails properly done takes time.

I just don't see why everyone is in such a worry about how long it takes for them to get a set of nails on. Of course it is due to the fact that time is money, but if you are charging for a quality job well done..well then I wouldn't be fretting on 2 hours.

From start to finish it takes me 2 to 2 1/2 hours.And I have been doing nails for over 20 years.
I do it the proper way and NOT the NSS way which is 30 -45 mins.

You are very normal on your time. :hug:

Have you thought .maybe they are using MMA......and thats how they are getting them done in 45 min.....

I don't think 2 hours is bad. It takes me around 1 1/2 hours to do a full set and around the same for rebalance, sometimes less, it all depends on what work is to be done. Just do your best, the clients would rather have nails that last and look great instead of a rushed job. Good luck. :hug:

Have you thought .maybe they are using MMA......and thats how they are getting them done in 45 min.....
Using MMA is not going to speed up your time. It's other shortcuts taken by NSS that make them so quick. Things like not prepping the nail, prising of a lifted nail, using electric files for everything without taking care of the clients comfort/wellbeing/health of natural nail.

i've been doing nails for almost 19 years and i can do a full set of sculpted acrylic anywhere from 45 minutes to 1 hour 15 minutes. and they last more than 45 minutes!

just because i've gotten my time down, doesn't mean i've skipped any steps in the process.

my clients do not have 2 - 2 1/2 hours to sit for a full set or up to 2 hours for a fill.

if you're new, don't worry about how long it takes other techs to do their jobs, just work on your own speed. when i started, it took me about 1 1/2 hours for a full set or fill. i have cut my time considerably with practice and technique.

my schedule if full with clients who appreciate the time.

i am a licenced nail tech and artist. my clients come to me for the quickness, quality, art and yes, even talk. i do not use mma or skip steps.

kathleen
My Nails Rock!

Hi, I started in a salon 4 weeks ago, only a few weeks after completing my CND course.

I was really worried about the time too, but now I take 1 1/2 for a full set and the same, maybe plus 15mins for a rebalance. The more clients you do the quicker you will get, especially when you know your next client will be in at xxx time!

The quickest I have done is a rebalance in one hour 10 mins, on one of our hairdressers, and they were fine!

Sometimes, if I havent got anyone else booked in for a few hours it can take me 2 hours to do a rebalance, but thats mainly cos I'm yakking....:o

I just don't see why everyone is in such a worry about how long it takes for them to get a set of nails on. Of course it is due to the fact that time is money, but if you are charging for a quality job well done..well then I wouldn't be fretting on 2 hours.

From start to finish it takes me 2 to 2 1/2 hours.And I have been doing nails for over 20 years.

:hug:
I am very glad to hear that you also take two hours to do a complete set!!
I was starting to worry myself, as it takes me two hours for a full set!!
Thank you for stating your time. Now the rest of us can breathe a ilttle easier!!

Sincerely;
Janet
:hug:

Once again the words of wisdom has spoken...:green:

Honey dont worry it takes me 2 hours and 15 mins to do a full set at least so stop fretting,you are doing fine.Just know that YOU are the professional here and not in an nns salon!:hug:

just because i can do a full set in about an hour doesn't mean i am putting out a poor quality work either.
i am able to give my cleint something, she doesn't have to wait 2 or more hours for doesn't mean i am competing with the NSS either. they appreciate, and i appreciate, that their time at the salon will be someting "quick" they can fit into their day and plan to do other things.
i will not commemt, that just because a tech takes 2 or more hours to do a full set or fill, she must not be a good tech. so, i don't think it's fair to say that a "licenced" tech that can do the same thing in less than half the time is a poor quality tech either.

kathleen
My Nails Rock!

What is the NSS way?

Latest posts

Back