How long should they last?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Helen v

Reaction score
Hi I dont do any kind of nail enhancement (other than natural manicure) and have been toying with learning Gel nails. Now to try and answer questions & doubts I was having I decided I would have a set done for my christmas break.
Now what I had was a white tip with a clear gel overlay. Looked lovely!. After 4 days I was getting lifting at some of the edges and a couple of the tips also appeared to be lifting. What i would like to know is, is this the norm or should they last longer? As it is I don't see much point in paying out alot of money on quality training and products for something that doesn't last much longer than a standard polish. I dont know if you would need to know this but the tech used millenium tips and ibd gel. I thank you in advance for any info. xx

They should still look perfect after 3 or even 4 weeks with no lifting at all!!

The only thing that you should notice is growth.

HTH:hug:

Hi thanks for the reply, any ideas on why they would have lifted so quickly, she seemed to clean my nail quite thoroughly.

The quality of a product has allot to do with longevity.

Brisa gels from CND are top quality gels from a top quality brand.

The right brand plus the right training and a technician that embraces that training and does things correctly will ensure nails that last for as long as they are maintained well.

Other causes would be if she oops'd during prep, or product was touching skin, or if the enhancements are too long for you and you've been knocking them because you're not accustomed yet.

Call her and see her about fixing this. It is not the norm for them to lift after only 4 days.

IBD is not the biggest dog in the pack, but I do know of a couple of techs that use it successfully.
BUT uv gel is not for everyone (and some are more flexible than others, some harder...), as is L&P is not for everyone.

You'll need a full consult to ascertain the cause.

Hi I dont do any kind of nail enhancement (other than natural manicure) and have been toying with learning Gel nails. Now to try and answer questions & doubts I was having I decided I would have a set done for my christmas break.
Now what I had was a white tip with a clear gel overlay. Looked lovely!. After 4 days I was getting lifting at some of the edges and a couple of the tips also appeared to be lifting. What i would like to know is, is this the norm or should they last longer? As it is I don't see much point in paying out alot of money on quality training and products for something that doesn't last much longer than a standard polish. I dont know if you would need to know this but the tech used millenium tips and ibd gel. I thank you in advance for any info. xx

Hi helen and happy new year.

I use millenium tips and have used IBD. I've had problems myself in the past using white tips with gel and the gel separating from the tip. This is a common problem as the gel seems to have a problem curing properly. In fact i remember posting regarding this very subject a year or so ago!. I tend not to use them these days opting for a paint on white gel over either clear or natural tips. I like IBD and still use it without problem. Prep and application have alot to do with lifting too. Hope that helps! :)

Thanks for all the replys, I think it must be the application. Th lifting was more along the side wall of my nail near the base. The gel was well clear of the skin though so i dont think that being too close was the problem. The gel was still solid over the tips, just the odd actual tip was lifting at the side edge.
I have had them removed now anyway ready for returning to work, but thanks again for your replys, perhaps next time I have some time off I will have some done elsewhere, and reserve making a decision till then. xx

If you haven't been hard on them they should last 3-4 week with no lifting, or with mininal lifting on the odd nail. Listing should be an exception and not the rule. I would say talk to your tec, show the nails and if she is a good professional she will probably offer to fix them without addicional charge.

Latest posts

Back