How long should you spend on Shellac file and polish?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am getting a little worried now I have been shellacing for 9 months but I am still taking over an hour. Does anyone have any tips how i can speed up. I know where my downfall is it is cleaning the cuticles.

Work out how long each step is taking you can try and improve on one thing at a time

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek

Hi - I've been doing shellac since October & it still takes me an hour! This includes cuticle work as I find EVERYONE needs this done! I wouldn't worry about it as long as your doing everything correctly. 😊

^^^ Me too - I take an hour still and I've been shellac'ing for nine months now...I take just over an hour if I have removal as well. I'm not concerned though ;)

It takes me around 30-40 mins to do Shellac, toes even faster. I have done it for 2 years and I can paint quite fast through practice. Is it just new clients its taking over an hour on or returning clients.

Takes me an hour and 15 mins with removal. I've only done it a handful of times on clients.

^^^ Me too - I take an hour still and I've been shellac'ing for nine months now...I take just over an hour if I have removal as well. I'm not concerned though ;)

I'm the same!! :)

It's a good idea as posted above to break down how long each step takes you and let us know so we can help. My times are
Removal 15mins
Pep 15 mins
And application (base through to top cost) 15 mins

I normally take about 40 mins, an extra 15 if removing previous shellac x

Ive been using Shellac for over 1 1/2. I take an hour. This includes removal(if required), a really good manicure and coats of colour etc. I have found that if its a first time Shellac i still take an hour as I spend my time discussing aftercare.

You need to discuss aftercare while providing the service. It's only men who can't multitask. This will cut down your service time.

Also, to cut down time I get the client to choose a colour while I'm either removing or filing. Never, ever pause to chat, just keep moving.

if you let us know step by step what you are doing maybe we can help,also as said time yourself at each stage and see where you are taking the longest.

I do shellac in 30-40 mins and with removal just under an hour unless im doing french then it depends.

For me i do all the cuticles then dust off then file each nail and dust then scrubfresh, apply base and cure, apply colour coat and depending on colour quickly go over each nail and cure, apply second color coat and cure(this coat should be alot quicker, if applying foils or glitter apply before Applying top coat and cure, remove tacky layer, solar oil and handcream....finished.

If you are leaving yourself too much time between clients then you will be under no pressure and will probably take more time without realising. Where as if you book clients a little close together it makes you keep going as such!!Maybe you stopping what you are doing when you are chatting instead of working and chatting at same time???

I had a new client last week who told me she left her last tech because her service time was too long. This is because she chatted too much. She would stop dead and yap, yap, yap. My new client said it was frustrating as she is sometimes in a hurry and just wants her nails doing and then be out of there.

This chatterbox has lost a client and I have gained one for being a good listener.

Just something we should perhaps all bear in mind.:D

Oh god my old boss used to do that, she would be filing away then when she was talking she would stop filing, then get her phone out to look something up on youtube!! She was always running late all day and closing an hour late, with me helping her catch up when i should of been at home in my pjs!! We should be able to multi task, its part of the job. Clients don't really want to be in a salon all afternoon, they obviously want quality but everyone is so busy now a days. I learnt that from my previous salon/clients! To answer the question i take 30 mins to do a shellac, 45 to take off and re do. When one hand is in the lamp curing you have 2 mins to polish the other hand and it should be continuous swapping

I take just over the hour, including removal, my clients prefer me to take my time, do a good job so their shellac lasts. I have loads of people who said they had their shellac done in 30mins, had no pep done and then the shellac was peeling off or chipping after 4-5 days. I take my time, do a thorough job, making sure all dead cuticle is removed, nails are cleaned well with scrub fresh, free edge is capped and application is neat and precise. I wouldn't worry so much if you are taking a little longer, as long as you do a good job! I have very little problems with breakdown and if i do its usually where my client has used their nails as tools or picked it off!

For me i do all the cuticles then dust off then file each nail and dust then scrubfresh, apply base and cure, apply colour coat and depending on colour quickly go over each nail and cure, apply second color coat and cure(this coat should be alot quicker, if applying foils or glitter apply before Applying top coat and cure, remove tacky layer, solar oil and handcream....finished. ?

Souz what are you dusting after cuticle work??

@ Jowilliams it's also possible to do a great job in a shorter time, I takes me 30 mins to do CND Shellac and I do meticulous pep and impeccable application I just do lots of shellac so my service time got quicker over the years :)
Also it's bad business practice to be booking out 1-2 hours for a CND Shellac manicure if its taking you 3x longer then you should charge 3x more right?? Yet no one does?

If your still struggling to reduce your time to under one hour WITHOUT removable I would recommend you do some further training either a one to one would be good or even the new polished nail class!! Which would go over pep and help with your polishing skills!

I think an hour is absolutely do e to ensure you have time to remove the product carefully and properly and to ensure you so thorough pep.

I take just over an hour, been doing Shellac since Jan. I line up my products in order of use, so without having to think about it I know where everything is.

I have a quick consultation whilst sanitising.
Cuticle work and shape
Deactivate cuticle away with quick spray of warm soap and water
Scrub fresh
Base coat
2x Colour
Top coat
D Sperse
Quick hand massage
Solar oil
Re book

I take just over an hour, been doing Shellac since Jan. I line up my products in order of use, so without having to think about it I know where everything is.

I have a quick consultation whilst sanitising.
Cuticle work and shape
Deactivate cuticle away with quick spray of warm soap and water
Scrub fresh
Base coat
2x Colour
Top coat
D Sperse
Quick hand massage
Solar oil
Re book

Next time you do it keep an eye on the time and see how long each step takes you!
I break it down into removal, pep and base- top. See how long each one of those steps takes you :)

Any UV or LED polish should only be taking 20 mins max ladies x

Latest posts

Back